Talking Ads on Tech Website, Is it worth it?

Hi ev'ry one,

I'm planning to advertise my shared linux hosting and domain retailing/reselling business on one daily technology and review website, it's more about windows things.

It receives approximately 12.000 to 15.000 hits per month with 200-250 hits per day.

It costs US$10/month. It's actually my friend's website. My ads will be placed on the top of every page including the home page.

Well, I've never done any advertisement before, so I'd really like to try this one out.
    So if there's any of you who have some experiences in this sort of field, I'd be grateful to have your thoughts, opinion, advices, or whatever you wanna say on this.

Thanks in advance.
    Irvin

I'm not sure I'd put an ad up on a site that's geared towards Windows related topics, but you could always try it out for a month and see what kind of results you get.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Any technology related usually does quite well for the advertisers if their business relates to the topics discussed.

I would also recommend trying it out for a month or two.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

If it is 10US a month,
    I would go ahead and try it for lets say a 3 month period.
    And wait to see if there are quality results.

What i mean by quality is cost effectiveness
    Btw what is the site you are talking about

Regards.
    www.Globalhostingservices.com
    Reliable Hosting at afforable prices.
    A good 24/7 support is the key to success.

Well,

I'll still be waiting for more feedback, i'm not convinced enough to proceed just yet.

If I do later, I'll advertise for an initial one month as you guys suggested. I'll let you guys know how well it goes too.

Thanks
    Irvin

One word of advice when you are looking at the stats for a web site. If you are going to put a web site on a 100-200 hits per day web site, does not mean you will be getting 100-200 people viewing you addvert. If I was you look at the vists not the hits.

If you aren't willing to shell out ten bucks to test an ad campaign, you should probably question how you expect to just SURVIVE in this industry. You have to spend money to make money.

I see your point guys.

I'll give this one a go, i'm currently designing the banner for the advertisement.

Wish me all the best, would ya

Thanks

It may be for windows, but I would try it anyway. You never know who would come to the site.

Originally posted by 3en
    One word of advice when you are looking at the stats for a web site. If you are going to put a web site on a 100-200 hits per day web site, does not mean you will be getting 100-200 people viewing you addvert. If I was you look at the vists not the hits.
    Agreed. 100-200 hits could come from maybe 10 visitors a day. You should go by the number of unique visits, not hits.

does anyone click on banners or any kind of online advertising?

I would say that kind of advertising works better for simply getting your name out - dont count on it to drive tons of traffic to yoru site. Better traffic will come from good ranking on searching (find your niche)
    the end of the world is upon us...absolute power corrupting absolutely...free speech is never free...

...mod friendly signature compliant

For $10 a month you could try them out. Good luck

$10 a month is not much try it out for 1 month,

Banners vs CPC, rates etc.

Actually calculating the possible outcomes of advertising is possible with some assumptions.

In my experience online marketing with banners seldom receive clicktrough-rates (CTR) of more than 0,1-0,5% of the views.

Hits as a website statistical measure is next to completely unusuable. The two parameters of use is: No unique visitors and no page views.

If we say the website in question server 100 page views a day, given the above CTR's it would take 5-10 days to generate one CTR.

You can then calculate how much you're willing to spend to receive one user on your site.

Of course you might be lucky and produce a banner with a higher CTR - but it's difficult to archieve - and it might be better to calculate conservatively.

Advertising is most commonly priced in two forms: CPM and CPC. CPM means Cost Per Mille (the last being french and meaning thousand). CPC is Cost Per Click.

If you're unsure on whether the website you're advertising on serves your client, I personally, prefer the CPC model. That way you know exactly what you get.

I do however think that 10$ is too little to spend to be able to evaluate the effectiveness of any campaign. With such a little campaign to much is left up to chance.

Rgds - Jonas

To the people saying test it for $10 and "you gotta spend money to make money" i'd have to disagree slightly, at least in my opinion, ANY money spent at all should have the pros/cons weighed up against it before spending, whatever the amount, throwing money into something which isn't going to make you money is pointless.

Personally, while I guess for $10 it's worth a shot, if it was me I wouldn't bother, when talking in terms of marketing and exposure, 250 hits (possibly the same people visiting daily) is nothing and not worth it. Now, if it's a community and you can get some good discussions going about the host and spread your ads over the site, you're far more likely to at least get 1 sign-up from the $10 you put in.

Hi laws,

I'd agree with you that we don't always have to spend money to make money

Well, the windows technology website itself has a forum, but it's a very quiet forum, I can say it's got almost no visitor these days.

I'll still give it a shot though.
    Cheers!
    Irvin