Does which domain registrar you use make a big difference?

Hey
    I am completely new to this so this maybe a dumb question but anyways. If all I need to register is one domain, does what registrar I use really make that big of a difference? If so, why? It would seem to me that as long as you get someone who isn't running a complete scam, and will actually register your name that it doesn't make that big of a difference which one you use. So does it make a difference, if so what?

I always use Namecheap. (www.namecheap.com) I feel they are great because they have many options and their user panel, is very easy to use and navigate. They have SSL for credit cards and you can use PayPal. Namecheap has a Dynaimc DNS service, WHOIS GHOST, and you can make your own Nameservers (if you have the IPs). I would recommend Namecheap over Godaddy any day!
    (Hope that helps you)!
    The Domain Trading Network. Where you can trade your domain free!
    http://www.tdtn.com

Each registrar differs by price, service or features. If you go with a reputable registrar and pay under 10.00 chances are you cannot go wrong.
    Domain Maven

ive been using namecheap, nothing bad about it so far

eNom. Why? Free features and ability to push domains between accounts for free.

RegisterFly, enom. Tons of free features, sub user accounts, extensive online reporting, easy domain push and more..
    Domain Maven

I use low cost registrars like eNom and OnlineNIC.
    Quality web hosting PullHost.com

Correct me if I am wrong but with namecheap and registerfly you can't push to other eNom accounts but must initiate a transfer. At least this is what happened when I tried to move some of my domains.

Originally posted by acts837
    Correct me if I am wrong but with namecheap and registerfly you can't push to other eNom accounts but must initiate a transfer. At least this is what happened when I tried to move some of my domains.
    If you wish to transfer a domain from one user to another within the same registrar, then you're able to do it for free with most registrars, no? Including namecheap, etc. If you need to transfer it to another registrar, then you need to add a minimum of 1 year to the domain in the process.

Am I wrong?

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

They allow transfers between accounts within their own system. They do not allow to enom(last time I checked)
    Domain Maven

Originally posted by vito
    If you wish to transfer a domain from one user to another within the same registrar, then you're able to do it for free with most registrars, no? Including namecheap, etc. If you need to transfer it to another registrar, then you need to add a minimum of 1 year to the domain in the process.

Am I wrong?

Vito
    Not for eNom; at least you canNOT push between NameCheap and RegisterFly or any other eNom resellers.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Originally posted by nameslave
    Not for eNom; at least you canNOT push between NameCheap and RegisterFly or any other eNom resellers.
    You're saying you cannot push a name to another user within the same registrar?

I defer to your experience...

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I have easily pushed between different eNom reseller accounts but not between eNom, RegisterFly, and Namecheap. Doesn't make sense because they are eNom reseller's also.

When I say you can push a domain, I mean from a namecheap account to another namecheap account, not from a namecheap account to another enom reseller.

Vito

Well if I am only registering one name I would only have one account, so would the ability to transfer the name to other accounts wouldn't be that big of a deal right?

Also when you say your not allowed to push between registrars, does that mean if you register a name for a year, and 6 months through you decide you don't like that registrar for one reason or another, you would not be allowed to switch registrars until your year is over?

i also recommend namecheap. have transferred some of my expired domains from godaddy to namecheap. godaddy's customer service in countries other than US or Canada is very bad because they will ban your countries of alleged credit card frauds but without even informing their legitimate customers from those countries, thereby causing these customers much damage and loss and woes because they can never access godaddy site now to manage their domains!

so if you are from other countries and not from US, don't try godaddy because they might ban your country, too, without informing you of their stupid action.

The push is only within their system. just because they resell some of enom's services does not mean they have a clone of enom's system
    Domain Maven

Originally posted by fuel1224
    Well if I am only registering one name I would only have one account, so would the ability to transfer the name to other accounts wouldn't be that big of a deal right?

Also when you say your not allowed to push between registrars, does that mean if you register a name for a year, and 6 months through you decide you don't like that registrar for one reason or another, you would not be allowed to switch registrars until your year is over?
    You can usually transfer the domain name to another registrar or reseller. There are some that seem to delay and stall to prevent you from doing it, and a few that employ outright anti-competitive practices (such as charging you $15 and requiring notarized letters ... another $10.)

For those reasons, I'll give you two to avoid: ITSYOURDOMAIN.COM and DOMAINSNEXT.COM. They are on "my list" as of right now.

My advice is to never, ever, buy your registration from a reseller. You have no recourse with ICANN, the governing agency, if your reseller decides to jack up the price, change the TOS, and prevent you from moving the name. At least with an accredited registrar you have the option of filing a complaint with ICANN through the form at the Internic site.

I have 7 domain names that I may just let go at DOMAINSNEXT.COM; I have to decide if I want to continue to support their anti-competitive and, I believe, illegal activities, pay the price and sue them for recourse, or just let the domains go.

totalnic.net doesn't allow you to transfer domains away and they are ICANN accredited and tons of complains are filed to ICANN which seems they didn't do anything yet..
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi