What CD player should I buy?

I'm going to be going on a lot of trips soon and would like to listen to music on the plane. I have a many songs and would take many audio CD's to fill. I'm looking for a CD player where I can burn MP3's to a CD and play them from a CD. Not a digital player.

I would like it to be like my current player (Aiwa Cross Trainer XP-SP90) It's an older player from 1999, it's great and I have dropped it MANY times from 6 feet an above and it still works. It's made for joggers and has a switch to lock it closed/water resistant. I would like the player to be durable.

It would be great if the player was under $100 and accepted AA batteries so I can recharge them. I don't want a digital because they are expensive and hold little data. I would like the CD player to read CD's that have MP3's on them SO I can hold 250+ songs on each CD.

Here is what my current player looks like: http://www.rdxmedia.com/img/oth/player.jpg
    Don't look for a way out.

I know you said "not digital", but have you considered a digital jukebox. I got one for myself for Christmas and it has 20Gb storage, but it was $158.
    The member formerly known as Enigmatics
    Teh Harem

oh, MP3's........you do no that they are illegal most of the times

Originally posted by Bub Host
    They are not .... there are many reputable and totally legal places for you to download them. Also, I dont think RIAA and the like mind you putting your own CD's into MP3 format so you can play them on an MP3 CD player.

This isnt a thread on the legallity of MP3's, its a thread about what is the best MP3 based CD player available.

Id say take a look at the new Sony ATRAC3 range of CD players. You may be looking at about $100 - $120 for a higher end one though.

I have the Sony D-EJ825 (pre-ATRAC) and it is awsome. Bought it in 2000 when it was top of the range, still has most of the newest non-atrac cd player features and the thing does not know how to skip (Its also as thin as your going to get for a CD player, and about the same diameter as a CD)

Other then that, Aiwa (Sony) have some CD players out now under the new branding, im not sure if any are MP3 though.

Id also look at Panasonic, but again they are not MP3 afaik. Philips make some MP3 based ones, but they are fairly low spec compared with the Sony's.
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

You can buy Rio Volt CD/MP3 players pretty inexpensively. I bought the first Rio mp3/cd on the market a few years ago, it still works well. eBay always has lots of these things.
    -Chris
    "There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

I must add, the battery life on Sony's is awsome. I get around 40 hours from the Sony chewing gum rechargables, ive never yet had to buy batteries for it!

5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Originally posted by Bub Host
    Then again you know people just dont care most of the times

I was looking at the Rio Volt, this one has great features but is it ugly: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=516876

Looks look interesting although the last one doesn't state a price.

http://www.us.aiwa.com/default.asp?p...roduct&prod=22
    http://www.us.aiwa.com/default.asp?p...roduct&prod=55

I love my current one as pictured, but it doesn't accept MP3's since it's quite old. I want the new player to be durable and will still work after dropped.

Another vote for the Sony Diskman's. We use one in our car - great shock protection, and plays MP3's as well as regular CD's. Fairly inexpensive at under $100 for it and the car kit - less by itself.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

This one looks great except for the design: http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...odel=SL-SW960V

This one would be great if it wasn't red and had MP3 playback. http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...odel=SL-SW950R

Be nice if this one played MP3's: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...DFS601&Dept=pa

I think Sony will be releasing a sports ATRAC3/MP3 CD Walkman soon, although it will be the last one. Not much help to you now however. The reason why Sony have not rushed to release one yet is due to the lack of demand for them, especially with Mini Disc and iPod being he main ones involved in the personal audio battle nowadays.

Id go for one of the Aiwa's, they are Sony but with a slightly lower price, different design and different logo.

I wouldn't mind paying the price. It is just I would use it on trips and leave it on the shelf otherwise. The digitals are expensive, although they look quite nice. I would love it if there was a way to upgrade my current one to MP3, but I know there is not a way. I like mine now, but don't feel like burning a CD for every 10 songs I have. Most of these new players are too bulky and look horrid.

There may be another way - I get around 18 - 21 tracks on a 99min CD... Just an idea

That's right. If you use Audio it will "overburn" so you can burn 99 minutes of music even if it is 900MB? I have high bitrates and long songs so they tend to be a little bulky. That is why I would prefer a MP3 readable CD.

It looks like I mistyped the number in my original post. At my file sizes it would be about 150 songs per CD.