Windows / UNIX servers..

I really do not want to get into the debate over Windows/UNIX or PHP/ASP, but what I am curious about, you can have
    • PHP
    • ASP/.NET
    • MSSQL
    • MSAccess
    • mySQL
    • PERL
    • CGI

on Windows. And on UNIX, you can at least have:
    • PHP
    • mySQL
    • PERL
    • CGI

Of course you can installed Chili ASP but that is something else on UNIX.

On a technical side, can someone recommend or say anything about not having PHP/mySQL on Windows server?

Definitely better not to have them on a windows server if you can avoid it.

They can live on there quite happily but there do tend to be more issues with them on a windows box.
    Koihost - Windows Solutions
    http://www.koihost.com
    --------
    Quality usually costs more!

most of the web is becaming using more php and mysql so i don't recomend windows ones

PHP and MySQL work very well indeed on Windows. I can think of no reason not to have them on a Windows server.
    Chris at TDMWeb.com
    Windows & Linux hosting and fully managed dedicated servers with great customer service!
    UK-based but serving the world...

Thanks TDMWeb. That was the answer that I was looking for & hoping for

Why ask if you've already made up your mind?

I barely trust windows for day to day computing let alone for a server.

Linux servers are stable, Windows, well, how many times have you seen windows kill applications, or mysteriously pull up the BSOD?

As far as security, Microsoft has a VERY lousy track record when it comes to security and Operating Systems, and they'll make SURE you pay for their security upgrades. Sure, Linux isn't hackproof (nothing online is!), but it's 10x more secure than Windows and MUCH much more stable.

As far as the progs, there's a REASON that ASp, .NET and MSSQL aren't available for linux. They're created and developed by a company with proprietary licenses who doesn't care about others using their code in any way shape or form. In fact, they discourage it (look @ IE, Outlook Express, anything else that Windows/Microsoft has put out. They don't play well with others). Yes, Chillisoft works for asp, but it's not really asp, it's a fake environment and doesn't work FULLY. As well, IIRC, it requires java/tomcat on the server which is a very very bad idea.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

I have not made up my mind. I was testing a server @ home & everything seemed to work properly. As I said I do not want to debate the Windows/Linux issues or anything like that. This is not what the thread is for. I just wanted to know if there were any pros / cons (especially) of putting PHP / mySQL on Windows.

I don't see any issues with running sql on windows. An OS is only as good as the admin running it. We have over 40 Windows machines and have never seen a blue screen or any other problems of that nature... Although are Linux servers run pretty dam good too oh welll.....

The moral of the story is use what you feel comfortable with. If you feel better running Windows go for it. MySQL will run great on it!

Thanks X-Gaming. I really do appreciate your response. So far everything is running great here.

Hi,

What all application you have mentioned can be run on both platform. i.e unix and windows.

For ASP chili soft is there to run on unix family.

PhP/mysql are free and powerful software which can be used to the optimum by the developers.(all open source sotware is supported by php/mysql).

Regards,

Bright

Originally posted by TDMWeb
    PHP and MySQL work very well indeed on Windows. I can think of no reason not to have them on a Windows server.
    I can think of a few, similar to what wolfstream said

1. Linux is a better operating system, period. Sure in practise it's harder to admin, has less hardware support and it's as point and click, this is all however, the compatability and usability of this OS. It's design is far superior, hell windows isn't even capable of symbolic links, a very baisc requisite of any capable file system
    2. Linux is secure, user space and kernel space is pretty rigidly defined, programs are encoruaged not to run as root and many comply
    3. Linux is stable. Linux machines, once they're up, tend to stay up, you can argue with me all you want on this but I know what i've seen
    4. Linux is faster, with the advent of the 2.6 kernel, the linux setup is now blisteringly fast, infact webpages can still be served reliably whilst under attack from a 6000 process bash fork bomb.

Oh and it's free in both senses usually.

Thanks Brightadmin for your input as well.

Winkie - sorry I am just not interested in the debate over which platform is better. I really do not want to get into that debate, I think there are enough threads like that in this forum & others.

I would say, Go with what you need.

Do you need asp and sql? go with windows.

Heres something you may want to think about.

You mention mssql, mysql, php , asp, cgi etc.. etc..

Do you plan on running all of this on 1 server? Good luck. I smell headaches for you. Mssql + mysql on the same server is not a good idea. Mssql is already a resource hog.

Your best bet is get 2 machines. 1 to fit your php and mysql needs, 1 for asp and sql needs.

linux is better and its control panel's powns

ChrisS - I was actually planning on three servers, www, mail, & the DB (MSSQL/mySQL).

Do you suggest having mySQL on the www server or on the DB (2.8G, 512M RAM)

Thanks!

i host on a windows server with php and mysql and I use both all the time with no problems. I also use mysql for the backend to .net sites and it works great.

not saying anything is better, only that php and mysql will work perfectly on a windows server.

if you plan on having 3 servers, then you should realistically have web, mssql, mysql . Mail can easily fit on the mysql server (or should be able to anyways).

As far as apache/php running "fine" on Win, this is only half true. There are a number of php based apps that don't run as they should on windows simply because of the fact that php/apache is primarily designed for *ix systems. That's not saying they CAN'T run on windows, but for best performance, use *ix.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

"2. Linux is secure, user space and kernel space is pretty rigidly defined, programs are encoruaged not to run as root and many comply"

Everyone here says it is secured, but in the last few days here I have read a few topics going on how their linux server was infected with a virus and that even after they try to remove it somehow it is still in the root and so on. I have not see Windoze servers to be any worse as long as you keep up with the most current security patches (which seem to be monthly). And this is something you can set up to automatically run on the server if you wanted.

I am a novice in hardware though so please correct me if I am wrong. This is all strictly my unedumacated opinion.

who says that *nix is more secure than windows is a idiot, who wants to hack can hack nix or windows with the same difficulty