help with servermatrix offering?

Hi All,

Just joined here and have been reading.. trying to follow the discussions

I currently have 3 web hosting providers running about 25 web sites with the majority of those being corporate web stores that doa bout $35K/month (*I* don't earn 35K... that's just what my clients earn) and I am looking to consolidate then all into one hosting service, preferably a managed dedicated server.

I think Servermartix is the option for me and my business but I am concerned about the administration and management of the actual server. I can handle the accounts and setups, etc but I am unsure about Apache, MySql and PHP, among other things.

It doesn't seem to state anywhere as to WHO sets up the various software and who manages it? Can anyone elaborate for me a bit?

Thanks!

Aaron

Well, you have to take a look at http://forums.servermatrix.com
    All essential answers are there, usually made sticky.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Hi and thanks!

I did look at it but it still doesn't really answer my initial question.

WHO takes care of the software/services? Servermatrix or the server owner?

A

Hi,
    All servers are installed. You have to setup the CPanel and do the required tweaks. Apache, settings, nameservers, securirty. There are several tutorials how to do that and in what succession on SM forum. SM do some basic updates, say, of the kernel.
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

e.g., when I ordered FANTASTICO, they have setup the license for my server, but I had to do the rest of the work. Installing Mailscanner, clamav, or APF is entirely up to you.

As a SM customer, I personally wouldn't recommend SM to a new server admin. There is a LOT to learn and I haven't yet seen support from SM's tech department that is timely or detailed enough to really meet a newbie's needs.

I would go with a company that offers fast support response times and whose tech staff prefers to take the time to explain how stuff works. I have a box at Dinix and find their support better matches these standards than SM's (in my experience).

Their billable support rates are also some of the lowest in the industry. For example, SM charges $75 per HALF hour, Dinix charges $75 per HOUR. It is not lesser quality support; I have servers at both companies and find that my tickets at Dinix have better quality content/more sleuthing has been done. Appears Dinix simply more competitive.

Anyway there's a big learning curve, I just don't want to see you get dropped through the cracks at Server Matrix. I personally have had good experiences with them but I am also an experienced admin, I do most of my own support work and trouble-shoot cPanel directly with cPanel, for example.

Bailey

your best bet id to go through a manager server company, that resells SM (if you like their prices) or another fully manager provider such as ServInt.

A thing to note however is each providers definition of "fully managed" or "managed" service.

There a few active users here who are part of Server management firms, so id check them out

I would go with a managed solution. Since you are a newbie with HIGH END clients you don't want to piss them off or lose them.

SM does take a while to reply to their tickets, but I think you forget about the phone, 2 rings and you get a live tech, even on christmas. They will do all they can to make you happy, remember they are not providing you a managd server.
    Linux/CPanel/WHM Tutorials & How-Tos
    Dedicated Server Tutorials

Ok then. Since the concensus seems to be that I not go with ServerMatrix right now what ARE the other GOOD and comparable pricing company's other there that I can use?

Thanks a lot for your help guys!

A

Hi...you may want to look at rack911.

They recently posted some special offers too..

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=247993

Also ServInt are apperently really good for support.