How do the SCO suits affect the webhosting business?

Not sure if this is the right forum to put this...

But...

I was wondering what others thought about the SCO litigation that they're running against Linux (in particular IBM and Red Hat, though they've attacked anything that is big related to Linux, including Linus himself.)

How, if at all, is this going to affect the business? We've already seen one big provider - ev1 - get one of their licenses. Is this something we can afford to ignore?
    Peter M Dodge,
    President, Viridian Tower Electronics

(Formerly Creative Director of LiquidFire Network Solutions 2003-2007)

Nothing to worry about. SCO is busy fighting in court with large companies and they don't care about small hosting companies. They are just bunch of wankers and they won't last long and soon whole mess will be over with SCO CEO in prison for large scale fraud.

Or off in Switzerland with a large retirement fund due to their stock kiting.

But seriously, even if they don't care about us, what's to stop them from threatening or even taking down the datacenters we use? Such as with ev1, which I heard rumours they may even sue?

(There's a great business plan - sue your customers. But I wouldn't put it past people these days, especially with the RIAA.)
    Peter M Dodge,

Build a FreeBSD test box just in case :-)

I can't see the SCO case really hitting home, once the 1st real case goes to court, then they'll have to come clean about the actual code in question. I'd expect to see a test kernel a day or 2 later without this code.

At worst, you'd probably be in for a major kernel upgrade program on your servers.

EV1 has already paid SCO "license fees."

I know. There were rumours that the "big provider" that they were going to sue was ev1, irregardless of their license.

Hence my reference to suing your customers.

The real laugh I had with the SCO conference was that they tried to convince me that you could copyright comments in code. Come again?

Still, they have MS funding them ... or at least bankrolling them through companies like BayStar (which MS lobbied to fund SCO)
    Peter M Dodge,

I will worry about this when a ruling comes down, and then comply with any terms of the ruling. For right now, unless I've missed a news item, SCO isn't revealing *which* specific line(s) of code were supposedly used in violation of their IP claim. Any requests that companies pay money to them in return for getting to pay a lowered licensing cost (compared to the post-ruling payers) smacks of bullying to me. They're trying to use the fear factor to get more money up front. Possibly to fund their legal team's continuous efforts in this matter?

Don't know how many have seen this (probably quite a few, I've seen other links to El Reg from this forum), but I got a laugh out of it:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/30/36116.html
    Lesli Schauf, TLM Network
    Linux and Windows Hosting: Scribehost

The whole issue to me is a fear factor one by MS. It does not matter really who wins the case, in the mean time MS has cast a shadow over linux that will sway a few Sys Admins who are a bit jumpy from switching over.

The suit will probably win, but only on the smallest and most insignificant of details. Both sides will call it a victory, and everyone will go back to where they were before: fighting each other instead of making better products. In the end Linux will replace MS in almost every area.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -- Ben Franklin
    Twice Tied Laces

They had a whole long list of files which were infringing, with which Linus himself torn their arguments apart. Piece by piece. I have to admit I was smiling when I read that.

GrokLaw is my main source for SCO info.
    Peter M Dodge,

... and in related news, my financial portfolio is telling me that SCO is down by 5.67 percent. Ouch.
    Peter M Dodge,

It will take years before this has been cleared out by the justice system. So, I don't think anyone really has to worry. Even if they sue one company after another - all these cases will rest until the IBM one has been finished. Personally I think SCO has no case and is just going a different route to be aquired.
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials

Those in charge of SCO should not be there. They seem to be great at doing other things - primarily finding ways to take the big names to court. I don't know if a job like this exists, but they're definitely not good management. SCO always had a "bumpy" history, and this is just another bump in it. As already announced, their larger suits have been torn apart by other companies and other individuals, and all they have remaining that they can fight for will barely cover court and lawyer fees.

IMHO.
    Nokhrin - http://www.nokhrin.com/
    ~ e-commerce application development