log files in hosting space

The log files of the current month seem to take more than half of my hosting space. I can remove those logs to save the disk space, but AWstats seems to need those log files to produce the traffic report.

I don't know if this would be a dilemma for most people to keep the log files for traffic report or to delete them for disk space ? or if there is any better solution ?

Hello,

On a Windows Server:
    Once awstats.pl has run (we have ours set to run every hour) it reads your Web server logs and writes the "log" to a .txt file for each domain you have specified to be updated. At this point, AWStats no longer needs the Web server logs for data.

I would recommend that you carefully think through your log removal strategy. You never know when you are going to need last week's or last month's logs. Consider compressing them and moving them off of the Web server.

Also, how many domains and what size hard disk? IMHO, you should check your logs, now, carefully, because this sounds like an awfully excessive size for log files. I don't know for sure without the number and sizes of domains and what all you are logging, but we log everything and don't see log files (for a month) taking anything close to 1/2 of a hard drive.

Good luck w/ this.

Hello,

There is a link at your AWStats which allow you to update your AWStats (some hosts disbaled this feature). After you have updated your AWStats, you may feel free to delete your logs.
    ******** - ASP, ASP.NET. Windows 2008 Hosting - Windows Reseller Plans

1 Exabyte = two to the sixtieth power byte, 1,152,921,504,606,846,976 bytes

Smile Re: log files in hosting space

Originally posted by chrisclock
    The log files of the current month seem to take more than half of my hosting space. I can remove those logs to save the disk space, but AWstats seems to need those log files to produce the traffic report.

I don't know if this would be a dilemma for most people to keep the log files for traffic report or to delete them for disk space ? or if there is any better solution ?
    This is my method of doing it...

1.) Rename the access log (e.g mydomain.com.access_log mydomain.com.access_log.tmp) and truncate the mydomain.com.access_log so the current one is left emptied for writing.

2.) Use awstats to produce the web site statistics using the .tmp log file

3.) As soon as the stats is produced, awstats should produce a data file (text file) containning all the hits, visits. This file is used to save previous stats report. The next time awstats run, it will use the data file. If you delete the data file, the stats is lost.

4.) Remove the .tmp access log.

This is done nightly and the log file is very tiny~ Tho you can do it hourly... it doesn't hurt ...
    Last edited by YUPAPA; 03-15-2004 at 12:50 PM.