Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hmmmmm...

Originally posted by IHSL
    I haven't looked at the enom "sub-reseller" option much myself, but doesn't that give you access to the sub-account, regardless of needing passwords, etc?

I figure that's one easy way to enforce it. If the user tries to run off with it, simply make sure it is in a valid contract that you reserve the right to change the settings of the domain when their 24 hour period of ownership is complete.

If they try any "funny stuff", login and take it back, as per the valid contract (you'd have to run it by enom I think too)

Simon
    never thought of that, that might just work you know

IHSL's idea sounds neat, maybe give that a try
    nu-metal.org :: coming soon

Now we are starting to get somewhere, the IQs will prevail I'm sure lol
    ps. the domain is loooonnng but memorable and appropriate for the purpose I think.
    Perhaps a comp to design it would be fun also??
    www.thegreatestwebsiteintheworld.com
    www.skatersforum.com

I have asked GoDaddy their opinion, we'll see how that goes.
    www.skatersforum.com

Originally posted by KoLdArKnEsS
    Now we are starting to get somewhere, the IQs will prevail I'm sure lol
    ps. the domain is loooonnng but memorable and appropriate for the purpose I think.
    Perhaps a comp to design it would be fun also??
    www.thegreatestwebsiteintheworld.com
    oh, I just found a problem with the reseller idea, Enom charge you around (saY) $400 to get a reseller account that is a lot if you just want to raise money for charity.

BUT, my IQ has prevailed go to www.directi.com, they give reseller accounts at just $70

Bub Rox

Originally posted by Bub Host
    oh, I just found a problem with the reseller idea, Enom charge you around (saY) $400 to get a reseller account that is a lot if you just want to raise money for charity.

BUT, my IQ has prevailed go to www.directi.com, they give reseller accounts at just $70
    In IQ we trust, I'll happily pay the $70 if i think it will get the support, we could even trade it around the other forums perhaps to get good initial coverage, you guys have been here longer than I, how many WHT members at the MO and can any one guess about how many would participate, ie are 7/10 people on the boards the altruistic type or would the guess be too wild? I think it would be good boasting credits for those on the boards to of once owned/rented/been directed to by, the Greatest Web Site in the World.
    www.skatersforum.com

Have also contacted make a wish (international) for an opinion.
    www.skatersforum.com

Maybe eNom would give it for free under some kind of agreement that it would only be used for this one purpose?

Just a though
    nu-metal.org :: coming soon

Ya

Originally posted by digitok
    Maybe eNom would give it for free under some kind of agreement that it would only be used for this one purpose?

Just a though
    Thats always a possibility, as for the other, maybe should do a poll?
    www.skatersforum.com

enom may grant you a free account because you are simply doing it for charity.....but they are a big busy company so they may blow you off

Hmmmm I'll do some research and see how I go
    www.skatersforum.com

I think you can still make "the most widely owned domain" idea work. Here's how:

You can keep the domain in an enom account that you control. When someone buys the name, you simply change whois info (as well as the nameservers, if applicable) to that of the clients'. However, the domain remains within your enom account, locked so as to keep it from getting transferred. Once the whois is changed and propagates to the root whois servers, then generate a screen capture of it as "evidence" that shall be presented to the Guinness auditors.

We routinely do something similar for our web design clients. While technically the clients own their domains, we have complete administrative control over it, and since the domains are locked, only enom's direct intervention can take the domain from us withoutour consent.

Just in case you have a wise-*** who buys the name, then attempts to use legal means to try to keep it, you might have to work a repurchase option within the sales contract, which the buyer has to sign and fax before the purchase is completed. You should probably work with a lawyer to draft this for you, but I don't imagine this would be overly complicated, and since its for a good cause then you might be able to get it for free.

- Apollo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12