Thread: Hmmmmm...

Lightbulb Hmmmmm...

Gday all,
    I have been thinking about an idea (don't know whether it has been done beofre or not) I need to know from you guys (who are more than likely wiser than I), whether or not you think the idea is feasible and would be supported. The idea goes a little like this;
    I have a domain that I want to donate, we then set about trying to create a world record for the most widely owned domain by auctioning the same domain every couple of days. The domain would remain at say GoDaddy and be pushed for free everytime it is won. Whoever wins the auction, for example $10, would then go to the make a wish foundation website and donate $10 US. Show the reciept and the domain is pushed to you for free and then your name gets added to the list on the front page of the site as one of the owners of the site. If the idea took off, perhaps GoDaddy might host the site for free and we could have a graffiti page where you can upload ur pic or graphic to the site administrator to chuck on the wall to prove that you once owned the most purchased site in the history of the web. Once we got a big number perhaps guiness could check it out, who knows. Perhaps also WHT might give the site its own section for ease of control. Anyhoo, my apologies if it has been done before, if not do you think it is worth a try, the make a wish foundation is pretty cool, most people know about it if not it just grants wishes to kids that a succumbing to serious illness, they sent my Son to Disneyland (we are in Oz) and I can tell you it is very worthwile to help them.
    www.skatersforum.com

Ummm ... it's an interesting concept ...

I have never heard of anything like that ... so I think you'd be the first. You won't know what will happen until you try it.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

I think it's a great idea but one that could prove to be much more difficult, in any case I would definitely participate.

p.s.--i've never heard of anything like this before, sounds original to these ears.
    Ryan Porter, Owner
    Extreme Internet Solutions
    Quality Hosting Solutions -- Affordable Prices
    Providing Fabulous Hosting and Unreal Web Design! Excellence is our focus.

um, somebody will spoil your fun straight away by purchasing the domain and running off with it. I guarantee this will happen so I wouldn't even try.

Sounds like a great idea.

I love the idea of the donations to the Make A Wish foundation, very nice.

Originally posted by Bub Host
    um, somebody will spoil your fun straight away by purchasing the domain and running off with it. I guarantee this will happen so I wouldn't even try.
    Unfortunately, that is probably very accurate. However, there's ways to combat it.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network.

Well I wouldn't really give them the domain name ... they would just "own it for the day" or something like that.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Hmmm

WIth the IQ's that lurk on these boards we might know a way to protect from that happening.
    www.skatersforum.com

I personally think that this is a great idea!

Re: Hmmm

Originally posted by KoLdArKnEsS
    WIth the IQ's that lurk on these boards we might know a way to protect from that happening.
    me?

Maybe you could make it so when they "purchase" the domain, it will be redirected to their site... If it got big, it might bring in a fair bit of traffic, so rather than them owning it, it just directs to their site, and it's as if they actually did own it for a while.

Just a thought
    nu-metal.org :: coming soon

Can any body add to the idea? Refine it a little bit perhaps?
    www.skatersforum.com

I do think it is a good idea, and a great way to raise money. BUT, just think of it like this. Just say you do start selling it and lots of people start going to the website. You will get about, say, 10,000 scammers a day wanting to get the domain, and they will then run off with it. The only way to combat this would be a very long, complicated contract that states they can't do that, but in all honesty, scammers will not care and ruin it anyway.

When you say 'Well I wouldn't really give them the domain name ... they would just "own it for the day" or something like that.' how is that possible? Either they legally own the domain or not, and if not, then it won't be the most sold domain. You cannot push the domain to somebody else without them having control over it. I can't think of anyway to stop it from being stolen. It's a great idea but it just wont work......

Tru

Originally posted by digitok
    Maybe you could make it so when they "purchase" the domain, it will be redirected to their site... If it got big, it might bring in a fair bit of traffic, so rather than them owning it, it just directs to their site, and it's as if they actually did own it for a while.

Just a thought
    Thats a good idea, I guess though for the purposes of the Guinness record they would have to technically own it some how to satisfy criteria for the "most owned/sold domain"
    www.skatersforum.com

Just a thought
    if they don't own it, it wont be the most sold domain, therefore it wont get very big in the first place, and you wont get into the Guinness book of records, but you might still raise some money. I just somehow don't think it will work out.

The most redirected domain? --- Or... The most RENTED domain

Yep

I do think it is a good idea, and a great way to raise money. BUT, just think of it like this. Just say you do start selling it and lots of people start going to the website. You will get about, say, 10,000 scammers a day wanting to get the domain, and they will then run off with it. The only way to combat this would be a very long, complicated contract that states they can't do that, but in all honesty, scammers will not care and ruin it anyway.

When you say 'Well I wouldn't really give them the domain name ... they would just "own it for the day" or something like that.' how is that possible? Either they legally own the domain or not, and if not, then it won't be the most sold domain. You cannot push the domain to somebody else without them having control over it. I can't think of anyway to stop it from being stolen. It's a great idea but it just wont work......
    Cant disagree with that Bub, but like any problem there is a solution somewhere, thats the beuaty of hurdles, they were built to be jumped. Just look at the hurdles the kiddies jump in hospital!
    www.skatersforum.com

Re: Yep

Cant disagree with that Bub, but like any problem there is a solution somewhere, thats the beuaty of hurdles, they were built to be jumped. Just look at the hurdles the kiddies jump in hospital!
    But the problem is that if you do sell the domain to somebody, there is actually nothing you can do to stop them selling it. And I mean NOTHING. If they legally own it, you have no say or right it what happens to it.

There is no script or program or fancy linux command that can stop this. It's just a fact.

Now if you didn't sell it and only redirected it, then you wouldnt have this problem, but then the whole idea no longer has any meaning. It's a catch 22

Stuck between a rock and a hard place :/

Don't think "the most rented domain" would work?

i dont think that would work as it isn't something official or very meaningful.

Hmmm

Stuck between a rock and a hard place :/

A compromise is still a solution, so long as the end result is the same, obviously the record or type of record is a secondary consideration to the fundraising, a more secure method with the same end result would be optimal.
    www.skatersforum.com

hmm... it would get some traffic atleast :/

Plus it's mostly for the purpose of helping a worthwile charity... The traffic would just be a bonus.

well there is nothing stopping you selling a week's lease, that way they do own the domain if only for a week, that gives the domain time to propogate and point to where ever they want and after a week you auction the weeks lease again.

I think its a great idea and would be willing to participate in it

yes, it is a good idea. But I don't know how much people would be interested in this for the most redirected domain, but if it did raise money it doesn't matter, does it?

I haven't looked at the enom "sub-reseller" option much myself, but doesn't that give you access to the sub-account, regardless of needing passwords, etc?

I figure that's one easy way to enforce it. If the user tries to run off with it, simply make sure it is in a valid contract that you reserve the right to change the settings of the domain when their 24 hour period of ownership is complete.

If they try any "funny stuff", login and take it back, as per the valid contract (you'd have to run it by enom I think too)

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network.

You don't need to give it time to propogate, if you just set up a redirection it happens instantly... Maybe at the end of each day at a said time, the person with the highest bid would get the domain redirected to them... Just an idea.

Originally posted by IHSL
    I haven't looked at the enom "sub-reseller" option much myself, but doesn't that give you access to the sub-account, regardless of needing passwords, etc?

I figure that's one easy way to enforce it. If the user tries to run off with it, simply make sure it is in a valid contract that you reserve the right to change the settings of the domain when their 24 hour period of ownership is complete.

If they try any "funny stuff", login and take it back, as per the valid contract (you'd have to run it by enom I think too)

Simon
    never thought of that, that might just work you know

IHSL's idea sounds neat, maybe give that a try

Now we are starting to get somewhere, the IQs will prevail I'm sure lol
    ps. the domain is loooonnng but memorable and appropriate for the purpose I think.
    Perhaps a comp to design it would be fun also??
    www.thegreatestwebsiteintheworld.com
    www.skatersforum.com

I have asked GoDaddy their opinion, we'll see how that goes.
    www.skatersforum.com

Now we are starting to get somewhere, the IQs will prevail I'm sure lol
    ps. the domain is loooonnng but memorable and appropriate for the purpose I think.
    Perhaps a comp to design it would be fun also??
    www.thegreatestwebsiteintheworld.com
    oh, I just found a problem with the reseller idea, Enom charge you around (saY) $400 to get a reseller account that is a lot if you just want to raise money for charity.

BUT, my IQ has prevailed go to www.directi.com, they give reseller accounts at just $70

Bub Rox

oh, I just found a problem with the reseller idea, Enom charge you around (saY) $400 to get a reseller account that is a lot if you just want to raise money for charity.

BUT, my IQ has prevailed go to www.directi.com, they give reseller accounts at just $70
    In IQ we trust, I'll happily pay the $70 if i think it will get the support, we could even trade it around the other forums perhaps to get good initial coverage, you guys have been here longer than I, how many WHT members at the MO and can any one guess about how many would participate, ie are 7/10 people on the boards the altruistic type or would the guess be too wild? I think it would be good boasting credits for those on the boards to of once owned/rented/been directed to by, the Greatest Web Site in the World.
    www.skatersforum.com

Have also contacted make a wish (international) for an opinion.
    www.skatersforum.com

Maybe eNom would give it for free under some kind of agreement that it would only be used for this one purpose?

Just a though

Ya

Maybe eNom would give it for free under some kind of agreement that it would only be used for this one purpose?

Just a though
    Thats always a possibility, as for the other, maybe should do a poll?
    www.skatersforum.com

enom may grant you a free account because you are simply doing it for charity.....but they are a big busy company so they may blow you off

Hmmmm I'll do some research and see how I go
    www.skatersforum.com

I think you can still make "the most widely owned domain" idea work. Here's how:

You can keep the domain in an enom account that you control. When someone buys the name, you simply change whois info (as well as the nameservers, if applicable) to that of the clients'. However, the domain remains within your enom account, locked so as to keep it from getting transferred. Once the whois is changed and propagates to the root whois servers, then generate a screen capture of it as "evidence" that shall be presented to the Guinness auditors.

We routinely do something similar for our web design clients. While technically the clients own their domains, we have complete administrative control over it, and since the domains are locked, only enom's direct intervention can take the domain from us withoutour consent.

Just in case you have a wise-*** who buys the name, then attempts to use legal means to try to keep it, you might have to work a repurchase option within the sales contract, which the buyer has to sign and fax before the purchase is completed. You should probably work with a lawyer to draft this for you, but I don't imagine this would be overly complicated, and since its for a good cause then you might be able to get it for free.

- Apollo