one user is getting slammed with spam...

what do these statistics mean to you? This is a snapshot of my (top 10?) users. Im very concerned about "Thompson" and the fact that hes FAR higher than anyone else on the list for crap mail. he gets by far the most spam of anyone, in the two days i was working on his computer there were over 500 bad emails waiting for him. That doesnt jive with the rest of the system. I have already directed any non-legitimate mailboxes to :blackhole: but that doesnt seem to be doing a lot.

Let me know what other informationw ould help you diagnose this anomaly.

Top 50 local senders by message count
    -------------------------------------

4443 19MB thompson
    1992 1062KB root
    1168 3146KB mailnull
    184 176KB nobody
    35 82KB mazda
    20 122KB skooie
    16 173KB benjamin
    8 54KB decal
    4 2878 grief
    4 2597 rasbd
    3 2180 down
    2 2028 grim
    1 1018 lt6916
    jubba joo!

all of the messages that are coming through are directed to the main email of the website in question.
    jubba joo!

Doesn't seem to be out of the ordinary for an account that's been around the block. I have an address that was used (and consequently archived) on public mailing lists 2-5 years ago. It gets about 150 pieces of spam on a good day, not counting those rejected by the filter.

Par for the course.

well, ive had my own domain on that server for longer than him and i get maybe a 10th the spam he does. i dunno. nothing to be done and no reason to explain the discrepancy than?
    jubba joo!

He probably needs to change his email address on a regular basis, and be careful about posting it in newsgroups or anywhere else.

I posted several email addresses on a contact-us web page of my site in 1997. After about 3 months I was getting spam sent to them, so I took them down and have never posted those addresses anywhere else. Seven years later there is still spam coming to those addresses.

hmm, i guess i assumed that was the problem. its a business so he really cant, but perhaps ill suggest that.

the account in question is thompsoncarpentry.com so you can see where someone might gain the address.

only problem is MY email is linked from contact us and i dont have these problems.
    jubba joo!

Originally posted by Fujiwara Takumi
    well, ive had my own domain on that server for longer than him and i get maybe a 10th the spam he does. i dunno. nothing to be done and no reason to explain the discrepancy than?
    Yes that doesn't really matter, what makes the difference when it comes to spam is where you leave your email address, whether he has it posted to the website, Maybe he used this address with a previous host. He may belong to some public groups as well that expose his address.

I would say if it doesn't bother him, let it be otherwise you might offer hime some ideas on how to eliminate most of it from his mail box. If he really hates all that spam and just doesn't know how to eliminate much of it, he will value you as a host for the information.

Also a lot of that may be returned messages if his email address was hijacked and is being sent around with those last virus rounds.
    Freckle Face
    http://frecklefacehosting.com

"well, ive had my own domain on that server for longer than him and i get maybe a 10th the spam he does. i dunno. nothing to be done and no reason to explain the discrepancy than?"

Who knows- he could have signed up for the wrong mailing list......or EVERY mailing list

He could have some ex-partner that signs his email up for different mailing lists, or something like that, too.

Do you have any spam filtering set up on your server?

i have spam filtering, it marks subjects as "SPAM" and that gets rid of a lot, after its downloaded and filtered...but if you think about how much bandwidth it costs both of us id really rather end it permantly, or just greatly reduce it.

i searched yahoo to see if his email comes up publically, and only in one place could i find it. i guess they have better tools than me :p
    jubba joo!

"but if you think about how much bandwidth it costs both of us id really rather end it permantly, or just greatly reduce it."

I completely understand where you are coming from. There are a lot of options out there for blocking spam before you ever have to process it, but if your client is on a shared hosting server, you may be forced to make a system wide change in thos epolicies- potentially efecting all your clients.

As soon as you start blocking via RBLs and other rules/applications, you will see a decrease in spam, but you will be running the risk of blocking valid mail- it's just a really fine line.

>>> its a business so he really cant,...

I had been using the same business email address for 6 years and getting so much spam that last summer I started using a new one. To make sure that my old customers could still find me I modified a python script that sends autoreplies so it would send out as "no_reply" at my domain and tell whoever reads it that the old account was cancelled due to spam and to contact me with a new address. I then set up the mail server to throw away anything coming back to no_reply. That way any spam coming in that gets that autoreply, but came from a fake address, will bounce back at me but be thrown away. At the same time any email from real people gets that reply and they resend to the new address.

I even went one step further and the address I gave in the autoresponder is different than the one I normally use, so if it gets picked up by spammers I can do the same thing with it and not have to change my main mail address so often.

I also now use different addresses for every website, forum, or company I give an address to, with part of there name in the address. This way I can easilly see when one of those is given out to junk mailers or spammers and cut it off without affecting my other email. For example when I sign up at a forum on some place called abcd.com I give my email as dave_abcd@.... Then if I see spam coming in addressed to that address it's easy to block that address and I know who not to trust next time.

Also, on the contact page on my web site the email address is in a GIF image, which can not be read by a mail harvestor bot. It means the customer can't simply click the address to send an email, but does mean that only humans can get the address.

For vision impaired, or those using text only browsers, I put under that, in text:

(for those with graphics turned off, put "contact" and an at-sign in front of our domain name)

yes, i do the same things, but thats for an advanced user. the owner of this site is a carpenter by trade, he isnt a computer tech.

youve given me a few ideas, perhaps ill convince him to change the name.
    jubba joo!

I registered the domain chrisishot.com about two weeks ago and as soon as it resolved it was getting tons of spam. I assume someone must have had that domain before or something. I use it as a redirect to my main site so I don't even use it for email. Kinda off topic, but its weird to see how much spam has increased lately.

You can use anti-spam lists. I am using sendmail with the lists:

relays.ordb.org
    relays.osirusoft.com
    dev.null.dk
    bl.spamcop.net