Thread: 1and1

1and1

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of buying a server from 1and1, but want to hear if anyone has anything to say about them. How can they be so cheap?

Thanks
    Triality, Inc
    Professional E-Commerce and Web Development
    http://www.trialityinc.com

3 month pre-payment and a 6 month contract. Plus that $99 setup fee.

$99 + ($99 x 6) = $693
    $693 / 6 months = $115

So their $99 unmanaged server is really $115 per month, but you sign a 6 month contract. I'd suggest searching the forums. If it wasn't for the contract, I would've gone with them.

They do have a 90 day money back guarantee that lets you out of this contract and IMHO $115 per month for a server with the specs they offer is worth the money.

I've had a server with them for over a month now and it's been great. The only complaint I have is their email support. They take days to respond. However, if you don't mind calling them, service is excellent.

Josh

damn, that contract is took me out of it
    Triality, Inc
    Professional E-Commerce and Web Development
    http://www.trialityinc.com

Originally posted by jgallant77
    They do have a 90 day money back guarantee that lets you out of this contract and IMHO $115 per month for a server with the specs they offer is worth the money.

I've had a server with them for over a month now and it's been great. The only complaint I have is their email support. They take days to respond. However, if you don't mind calling them, service is excellent.

Josh
    They also run a non-standard Linux distro (their own) so you may have problems installing software if you need it. On the positive side they offer Plesk 7 and Mailing list integration. Both huge plusses.

I too considered them before deciding on Sagonet.com If you are looking for a non-managed server you should check them out. If you want managed you are probably not going to be able to afford them if you were considering 1and1

Tim

Originally posted by TranswarpHos
    They also run a non-standard Linux distro (their own) so you may have problems installing software if you need it.
    Oh, RedHat belongs to 1&1 and is considered non-standard by now? That's interesting.

They also run a non-standard Linux distro (their own) so you may have problems installing software if you need it. On the positive side they offer Plesk 7 and Mailing list integration. Both huge plusses.

I too considered them before deciding on Sagonet.com If you are looking for a non-managed server you should check them out. If you want managed you are probably not going to be able to afford them if you were considering 1and1

Tim
    My server is running redhat 9 so I'm not sure what linux distro you're referring to. Maybe they do have something special running on their shared servers but the root servers are as normal as you can get.

Josh

I want to sign-up for a dedicated at 1 and 1 too, but im still thinking of it!

I will admit that I haven't been on that part of their site for a while, but when I looked at them they said they were using their own variation of Linux (a variation of Debian) on all Linux servers. I take it that has now changed.

Oh, and Josh, RedHat belongs to RedHat not 1and1. :-)

Tim

Sounds like there contract actually keeps the service levels hi. I'd imagine having admins with the knowledge they have to roll out and support there own distro that is a pretty competent team and worth paying for - especially with 90 day cash back guarantee.

I've also read (in other forums) that their US email tech support is very slow.

Don't get me wrong, they certainly look like they are a good deal, but sometimes looks can be decieving.

My views may also be clouded a little bit by my experience with their "free" 3 year professional package. Sure they gve you shell access to do basic things but for anything more complex you can't. I am now using that space for storage only :-(

if i could see how they are for gaming servers i would consider 1and1 also

Oh, and Josh, RedHat belongs to RedHat not 1and1. :-)

I know who redhat belongs to. It seems that message was meant for someone else.

I do agree that their email support is severely lacking. Their phone support however is great.

Josh

yep...I've been on 1and1 root III server for a couple months now...everything is ood, except support. support really stinks via email...if you call it is good though. I just wish they'd get a ticketing systems and respond in a timely manner. Some emails I have sent have never been answered.

Anyone know if they accept European credit cards? Got a US address, but not a CC.

Also, isn't RH9 deprecated now?

adam

i don't think there do exist any differences between the CC #'s
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

'Fraid so. 4539 is a common first quad in Ireland, for example.

adam

RedHat 9 will be depreciated in April. But since many providers are unsure of the stability of Fedora Project and do not want to pass on the extra cost of Red Hat Enterprise to their customers, many hosting providers are still using it Keep in mund that there are still some that ffer 7.2 to their customers.