Dedicated sign-up questions...

Hi all.

I am close to finally buying a dedicated server but when asked to enter some details I am asked to fill in some fields called:-

Domain Name
    Server Name
    Nameserver #1
    Nameserver #2
    Root Password

What do all the above mean?

I thought buying a dedicated server would mean I wouldn't have to enter my existing domain name as I hoped to enter that part into a separate cpanel for my site.

Also, what should I enter for Server Name and the Nameservers? I have no intention to resell and will be using the dedicated server for hosting three of my own personal sites. Should I just enter whatever I like here or something more prominent?

And what should I enter for the Root Password? Is this just the basic password I will need to enter WHM?

Cheers - Dav
    Gotta check out this superb site...
    http://www.thecelebritydatabase.com/forum/

I'm not sure about the domain name and name servers for a dedicated server, but the server name is the hostname. You can name it whatever you want. Just like naming your own computer. You can change the name at any time as well. If you're buying the server, they will give you root access. Root means you can control everything on the server, you're a god, a superuser, the boss. Make your root password very, very secure/complex. You can also change your root password at any time.

Domain Name

The domain your server will run on, for example yourdomain.com

Server Name

The server name which is in the format servername.yourdomain.com

Nameserver #1

ns1.yourdomain.com

Nameserver #2

ns2.yourdomain.com

Root Password

Whatever you like.

servername = any name you want to call your server.

Thanks guys - that helps a lot.

Just a quick question about the domain name.

Do I have to buy a domain name to name the server upon it or can I basically use the domain name I have for my current site.

In other words, would it be beneficial to buy a unique domain name just in case I wished to resell at a later date?

Cheers - Dav
    Gotta check out this superb site...
    http://www.thecelebritydatabase.com/forum/

You will have to have your registrar (Network Solutions, Domainsite, etc. ) register your name server with the Verisign network before it will work as a name server. Just go to the manager my domain section on the registrars site and follow the directuons. You will also have to point mydomain.com to ns1.ydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com at the registrar site.

I found it more convenient to reserve a special domain for the server and all specific technical issues, like providing one additional MySQL gateway to all users, apart from the thirdparty one via CPanel, or using it for nameservers, etc. But this is up to you.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

You will have to have your registrar (Network Solutions, Domainsite, etc. ) register your name server with the Verisign network before it will work as a name server. Just go to the manager my domain section on the registrars site and follow the directuons. You will also have to point mydomain.com to ns1.ydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com at the registrar site.
    I registered my domain with GoDaddy.com and has looked through the domain manager page, but I can't seemed to find howI can register my nameserver.
    I have already assigned IP addresses to my nameserver.

When I tried to set nameservers, I received the following error :
    Unavailable error in field Host name1
    Unavailable error in field Host name2

Anyone here can help?
    Thanks.
    Lisa
    server admin newbie but learning!

I am not familiar with GoDaddy's setup. Both of the registrars I mentioned have the option to "manage my domain" and then edit DNS Servers or Register DNS Servers. Telling your DNS server what your name servers are and assigning them to IP's isn't enough. The Verisign Network needs to know their names and IP's as well. Only GoDaddy, as your registrar, can do that. If nothing else email their support people and ask them how to proeed.