Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 58
  1. #1

    Datacities - What a first month it was...

    I registered with datacities about a month ago the first problem that I had was that aparently there was a bug in the filesystem and the server thought it was out of space and no one could upload anything.

    I then noticed that my account containing the primary domain was set to use all the space I had, which is probably normal but I thought it was a bit odd, so I asked to be made the reseller of that account so I could manage it howevere they created a seperate account for it with an extra 2gb of space and increased the ammount they charged me but I was never made the reseller I deiceded to leave it.

    Since then there had been alot of down time and MySQL server problems where the MySQL server would just shut off and I could not restart it through whm. Eventually one of my customers MySQL database became curropted past a state that could be repaired.

    Too add to the problems when I use to ask for support on two occasions they reset the password to one of my accounts and forgot to tell me so I had to reset it myself through whm.

    Then yesterday the server went down without warning and was down for the entire day, this morning I recieved an email telling me that there had been a hdd fault and the tech had lost all the data!

    They have recently got the server up again but unfortuantly forgot to create my account, I dropped them a reminder and when they did create it they forogot to allocate any space in whm and I am still waiting for them to do this. Howevere once again my main account uses all the space available and the 2gb that was added has gone.

    Well they've given me three months free hosting, and if they hadn't fo done that I would already be looking for a new host...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    547
    I would still try and find a new host. The reason why i state this is because since all these errors have happened throughout your time at datacities. It is not acceptable to keep having to send a ticket in for something that should already of been setup properly.

    Even though they gave you 3 months of free hosting, they will treat you a lot different then a paying customer.

    Just suggestions.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    749

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    I believe you should be looking for a replacement... just in case this kind of things keep on happening...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    286

    Exclamation

    I would bail on them as soon as possible if I were you. My best experience with a regular host was Webmasters.com

    The only thing I didn't like was no shell access (but a powerfull control panel to do most of the things you'd do in the shell: move files, CHMOD, etc.)

    I am now running my own dedicated server. But I have the Webmasters account until I can modify the site I have there to not require FrontPage anymore.

    Tim

  6. #6
    My suggestion is that perhaps give it a try for another month or so before deciding. Move only if it persist.

    Harddisk failures are part and parcel of every hosting business and everyone's gets them sooner or later. It's how they dealt with it that's important.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

  7. #7

    Re: Datacities - What a first month it was...

    Originally posted by DATR
    I registered with datacities about a month ago the first problem that I had was that aparently there was a bug in the filesystem and the server thought it was out of space and no one could upload anything.

    I then noticed that my account containing the primary domain was set to use all the space I had, which is probably normal but I thought it was a bit odd, so I asked to be made the reseller of that account so I could manage it howevere they created a seperate account for it with an extra 2gb of space and increased the ammount they charged me but I was never made the reseller I deiceded to leave it.

    Since then there had been alot of down time and MySQL server problems where the MySQL server would just shut off and I could not restart it through whm. Eventually one of my customers MySQL database became curropted past a state that could be repaired.

    Too add to the problems when I use to ask for support on two occasions they reset the password to one of my accounts and forgot to tell me so I had to reset it myself through whm.

    Then yesterday the server went down without warning and was down for the entire day, this morning I recieved an email telling me that there had been a hdd fault and the tech had lost all the data!

    They have recently got the server up again but unfortuantly forgot to create my account, I dropped them a reminder and when they did create it they forogot to allocate any space in whm and I am still waiting for them to do this. Howevere once again my main account uses all the space available and the 2gb that was added has gone.

    Well they've given me three months free hosting, and if they hadn't fo done that I would already be looking for a new host...
    I dont believe I could afford 3 months of that myself. Goodluck!
    Mike

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Let's see.....
    Posts
    4,446
    Our HOA has their website on their server and the mySQL never worked right. We ended up moving the site's mboard to one of my domains.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

  9. #9
    Wait, it gets better...

    They finnaly got round to allocating me some space but its now 1/6 of what it was before! It's gone from 12,000MB to 2,000MB, and the bandwidth has gone from 240,000MB to 40,000MB even though technically i would be paying the same ammount if they hadn't given me that time free.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    286
    Originally posted by sprintserve
    My suggestion is that perhaps give it a try for another month or so before deciding. Move only if it persist.

    Harddisk failures are part and parcel of every hosting business and everyone's gets them sooner or later. It's how they dealt with it that's important.
    And how fast and accurately they move to rectify a problem like that tells you a great deal about how they respond to a REAL crisis.

    Tim

  11. #11

    Thumbs down Crapacities

    Datacities is just lucky their not near where I live. I would go and visit them personally.

    I've been with Crapacities for nearly a year. I had no mayor issues with them until recently. The last two weeks have been HELL!

    Constant MySQL Downtime, NO...yes I mean NO....available tech support. Apparently, in order for us to get support (SINCE THEY WISELY DECIDED NOT TO INLCUDE THEI PHONE NUMBER IN THEIR WEBPAGE) we need to log on to our account....and guess what? In order to log on, MySQL needs to be working....Soooooo
    If you can’t' log on you can't even report problems.

    If you go to "webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1934028#post1934028" you'll see the problems I've had.

  12. #12
    Wow, this forum really is weird. I had typed a whole long post, after pressing "submit" I get some dumb error that I'm not allowed to post URLs (didn't even try!) and my whole post is gone!

    Well, in short..

    I'm with Crapacities a couple of months now, and last week indeed has been a nightmare.
    When I asked about the "why" of the downtime, Scott M. Gemma said to me (after I was lucky enough to actually be able to reach the Lpanel (down 90% of the time)) that it was because of a memory upgrade. Well, guess what? 2GB BEFORE upgrade...and...after the "upgrade"....2GB...

    Also, on their site/network.php, they state that w6 (the server I'm on) has a 100% uptime...well that's the biggest ******** I've ever seen!

    Looking for alternatives now, any suggestions for a good host? About same package as I have now, only more QUALITY...

  13. #13
    I would suggest using search or looking in the shared offers forum. I hear Scott doesn't offer backups either, "To keep prices low." I find that to be strange, because we offer backups and it doesn't seem to cost us that much. Oh well.


    Even though I had my own firm, I used to host one of my sites there, because I set it up before I had had my firm and ti had too lareg a database to move. The database always had downtime, which basically killed my forums, my members left because they could never access the boards, so then I lost everything anyway when the hard drive failed.
    Last edited by lwhite; 03-18-2004 at 07:46 PM.
    Lee W.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Let's see.....
    Posts
    4,446
    The mboard won't permit posting URLs until 5 posts have been made.

    Originally posted by TonD
    Wow, this forum really is weird. I had typed a whole long post, after pressing "submit" I get some dumb error that I'm not
    allowed to post URLs (didn't even try!) and my whole post is gone!
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

  15. #15
    we had an account there, but we cancelled last month.

    it is a terrible experience.
    Last edited by simon_95; 03-19-2004 at 04:12 AM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    36
    I've had an account with DataCities for several months now, and I tell ya, I'm so angry now I could spit blood.

    The enormous downtime alone kills me--they for some reason need to keep moving accounts between servers... huh? Why? On top of this, after they make any big changes, they screw up a lot of the site settings, and are very very slow in helping to restore them... sometimes I have to reset up things like database users and subdomains that they erased!

    The real problem is that these people don't realize that their customers are oftentimes running businesses that simply cannot be disrupted by all this crap. I've barely had enough time to do new web development, for all the problems (caused by DataCities) I've had to work on.

    I tell ya what. I'm either about to have a nervous breakdown or switch to another provider. Any suggs on a new provider?

    Thanks!

  17. #17
    Originally posted by stevietheman
    [B
    The enormous downtime alone kills me--they for some reason need to keep moving accounts between servers... huh? Why? On top of this, after they make any big changes, they screw up a lot of the site settings, and are very very slow in helping to restore them... sometimes I have to reset up things like database users and subdomains that they erased!

    The real problem is that these people don't realize that their customers are oftentimes running businesses that simply cannot be disrupted by all this crap. I've barely had enough time to do new web development, for all the problems (caused by DataCities) I've had to work on.

    I tell ya what. I'm either about to have a nervous breakdown or switch to another provider. Any suggs on a new provider?

    Thanks! [/B]
    i suggest you buy one or two dedicated servers for your clients from nocter or servermatrix.

    you may also take legal actions against them.
    Last edited by pandangarden; 03-26-2004 at 09:50 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,852
    This thread doesn't seem to have any credibility at all. What's with all the one post wonders making comments about this host?
    Who's telling you guys to sign up?
    What's your agenda here?

  19. #19
    Originally posted by blue27
    This thread doesn't seem to have any credibility at all. What's with all the one post wonders making comments about this host?
    Who's telling you guys to sign up?
    What's your agenda here?
    it is a good practice to let others know if you have bad experience with some providers.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    What's with all the one post wonders making comments about this host?
    It is a bit weird. I can only ask myself a similar question. :/
    it is a good practice to let others know if you have bad experience with some providers.
    And yet you decided to edit you first post... LOL

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,852
    Originally posted by pandangarden
    it is a good practice to let others know if you have bad experience with some providers.


    So how did you happen to find WHT to post your experiences?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    So how did you happen to find WHT to post your experiences?
    His "experiences" dissapeared as abruptly as they appeared. (he edited his post, we're the only withnesses still alive, we'd better run for our lives, blue27)

  23. #23
    i edit my post if i find it may be misunderstood.

    if you cannot find posts about good/bad experience with some providers, i can find some for you.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,852
    Originally posted by pandangarden
    i edit my post if i find it may be misunderstood.

    if you cannot find posts about good/bad experience with some providers, i can find some for you.
    So how did you happen to find WHT to post your experiences?

  25. #25
    not only my experience.

    in wht, so many posts that tells us their experience with some peoviders. these posts can give others some info in choosing providers; that is one of core values of this forum

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,852
    Originally posted by pandangarden
    not only my experience.

    in wht, so many posts that tells us their experience with some peoviders. these posts can give others some info in choosing providers; that is one of core values of this forum

    So how did you happen to find WHT to post your experiences?

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    i edit my post if i find it may be misunderstood.
    So you did that because of what blue27 said? Hmm... If something really happens to you you should never retract it. You just do your best to prove that it happened.
    in wht, so many posts that tells us their experience with some peoviders. these posts can give others some info in choosing providers; that is one of core values of this forum
    That is true.
    So how did you happen to find WHT to post your experiences?
    A simple question deservers a simple answer. And the answer is?

  28. #28
    Originally posted by ldcdc
    So you did that because of what blue27 said? Hmm... If something really happens to you you should never retract it. You just do your best to prove that it happened.[/QUOTE]

    the main topic of the post is NOT my experiences. if I (not somebody else) find my post may be misunderstood, i will edit it. i don't want my posts be misunderstood and the discussion lose the direction.

    A simple question deservers a simple answer. And the answer is?
    the same answer as "how you happen to find wht to post? "

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,852
    Originally posted by pandangarden
    [B]Originally posted by ldcdc
    So you did that because of what blue27 said? Hmm... If something really happens to you you should never retract it. You just do your best to prove that it happened.


    the main topic of the post is NOT my experiences. if I (not somebody else) find my post may be misunderstood, i will edit it. i don't want my posts be misunderstood and the discussion lose the direction.



    the same answer as "how you happen to find wht to post? "
    [/QUOTE]


    So how did you happen to find WHT to post your experiences?

  30. #30
    So how did you happen to find WHT to post your experiences? [/B]
    in mar 2003, how did you find wht to post?

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,852
    Originally posted by pandangarden
    in mar 2003, how did you find wht to post?

    Since you refuse to answer the question, which I asked many times, I will stick with my original opinion that you are a troll and that this thread has no credibility.

  32. #32
    it is your right to post and question.

    it is my right to express my ideas and post what i believe is relevent.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    Blue27, you should become a private detective! You'd be very good!

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, Jawja
    Posts
    3,066
    pandangarden, the question still stands. How did you find WHT? Please answer it, or risk losing all creditability.

    Thanks.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

    Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    36
    My story is 100% my experience. I obviously cannot disclose so many details that will put my web properties at datacities at risk of potential vindictive behavior.

    I think if you want any modicum of proof, check out any site based at DataCities today. They are doing yet another migration of all their accounts to a new set of servers. They started on Friday morning and are still going. All sites down. Unacceptable.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    36
    Originally posted by blue27
    This thread doesn't seem to have any credibility at all. What's with all the one post wonders making comments about this host?
    Does somebody have to be a long-time member of this forum to be credible with regards to a valid complaint? I understand your skepticism, but unless you have evidence to negate our stories, then I'm not sure why the criticism is so necessary. At any rate, I have to wonder why you are trying to protect DataCities.

    Who's telling you guys to sign up?
    I signed up as this appeared to be a good place (if not the best place) to tell others of what happened to me. Perhaps others will see the troubles and avoid this hosting company, at least until DataCities sees the errors of their ways and stop causing continuous issues for their paying customers.

    What's your agenda here?
    To get DataCities to clean up its act. To tell others of my problems so they can make better decisions about their hosting.

    If you want to see further evidence of DataCities' malfeasance, just check out their rating at hostratings.com

    Also, if you really want some proof of their excessive downtime, find somebody who hosts their website with DataCities, and either monitor their site (using technical means) to measure downtime, or ask the webmaster of that site about their experiences. I am very confident these measures will back up my position.

  37. #37
    Hold on, you guys think i'm making this stuff up?

    Well I am its really an excellent hosting company and I recommend that you move there right now and drop your current host just so you can see how good it is!

    Then lets see who you think is telling the truth.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    I don't know about you guys, but pandangarden had a really strange behaviour. Blue27 had a hunch and so far it appears that he was right... about that guy at least.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    36
    Originally posted by DATR
    Hold on, you guys think i'm making this stuff up?

    Well I am its really an excellent hosting company and I recommend that you move there right now and drop your current host just so you can see how good it is!

    Then lets see who you think is telling the truth.
    So you're not a victim of the latest server migration at DataCities? It was supposed to apply to all accounts. My sites have been down for over a day now. Does anyone who runs a web site find that acceptable??

  40. #40
    I was being sarcastic...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •