LED hung @ "Booting."

My RaQ 4 experienced tons of problems last night, from being slow to respond, to zombie procs.

After a near 200 day uptime, I decided I had better reboot, no matter how much I hated it.

Now, the LED hangs @ "Booting . . . " and won't go past that. The DISK indicator light stops blinking, also. I plugged my laptop in, HyperTerminal to COM1, (settings 115200, 8, No, 1) and it appears to be booting to a blinking cursor...

I have a brand new 80 gig drive sitting next to me, that I'm going to put in, and I've also just finished downloading the ISO to make a restore CD.

My question to you all, is, since it appears to be hard drive related, is there any way I can save the data? Can I mount the second hard drive, make it master, make bad drive slave, boot off new drive, and pull data from the bad slave? I have backups from about a week ago, but there's a weeks worth of email that I hadn't responded to yet. :-)

Please email your responses to [email protected] tonight.

Thanks!

John
    | John Edel Jetfire Networks L.L.C. Trusted Hosting Solutions
    | Consistent, Reliable, Stable OpenVZ & KVM Virtual Private Servers
    | SpamWall AV & Full SMTP Filtering
    Now an SSLStore Titanium Partner!

New info:

Whenever I try to do the restore, it hangs. The LED sticks @ "Loading Kernel"

I have correct NIC, I plugged a crossover from my PC to the RaQ, and booted the CD. Then when I boot from net, it does nothing. I let it sit @ "Loading Kernel" for about 35-45 minutes, it doesn't budge. Why?

If you have not worked this out yet you need one of the 4 listed network cards in your PC before you can use the restore CD.

Probably the most common card is the Linksys one and cane be got quite easily these days.

If you have one then the problem will be something else, just thought i would start with the most common one.

Hi,

It may be a bad drive but we get this quite a lot if we have left a Raq switched off for a while without a board battery installed. Have you tried installing a new battery and then power up while holding in the 'e' button.

Also, it may be worth trying to boot from rom rather than disk.

Mark
    --

http://www.1stserv.com
    Plesk Platinum Partners

Hey:

I got it worked out, I thought I had the correct NIC (one of the Linksys ones) but I threw in my Intel card and it worked fine.