Thread: email question

email question

when a domain is created (with cpanel) on our server with domain name (for example), any emails sent to [email protected] from our server are not sent to the external email address at "" but are routed directly into the local account on our server.

My question is:

Is there a way to make sure than any emails sent always check the external dns records, and not check if the domain is present locally first.

This has caused a few problems with customers not receiving emails...

Thanks for your help,

So you are wanting to send the emails for the domains to a remote server? Correct? if so, have you edited the MX entry for the domain?

sorry, you misunderstood my question. It is hard to explain.

I am trying to make it so that when i send an email from my server to an email address which has the same domain as a dns zone present on my server, it does not check the local dns records first. I hope you understand.

I'm not very familiar with Exim -- yell at me if I'm wrong. :)

It's not checking the local DNS records first. Exim is checking the /etc/localdomains file, which tells it that the domain is local.

thanks very much, it would be useful for me if it searched the localdomains file after the DNS records but o well, i can just edit /etc/localdomains.

Thanks for your help,