is it legal to use copyrighted/trademark names in domain names?

ie (random example, i don't plan to use this) http://www.budweiserisgross.com

need to know whether i can go ahead and purchase/use some domains containing other's names.

if so, is there some standard legal speak stuff i need to include in my site?

stay away from TM names, so many ppl lost their domains cause of that.

unless its a fan website and might also lose it if it has high potential value to the owners..
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Yes, you can, but if they want it and it has a TM in it, then they will get it off you no problem whatsoever.

I bought the domain name ntlcommunity.com just after the telecommunications company ntl announced their new website, ntl community.

I opened up my own community and within a few weeks ntl basically threatened me with the lawyers etc, so I agreed to sell the domain to them and to shut down the site.

Now ntl, being the biggest cable company in the UK and having a massive business sector as well, are still trying to convince me that I have to go to Nominet to transfer a .com So to this day, I still own the domain, even though they have paid me for it. Until they stop telling me to go to Nominet to transfer the domain, I will still own it
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

Originally posted by Sash!
    Yes, you can, but if they want it and it has a TM in it, then they will get it off you no problem whatsoever.

I bought the domain name ntlcommunity.com just after the telecommunications company ntl announced their new website, ntl community.

I opened up my own community and within a few weeks ntl basically threatened me with the lawyers etc, so I agreed to sell the domain to them and to shut down the site.

Now ntl, being the biggest cable company in the UK and having a massive business sector as well, are still trying to convince me that I have to go to Nominet to transfer a .com So to this day, I still own the domain, even though they have paid me for it. Until they stop telling me to go to Nominet to transfer the domain, I will still own it

interesting.

anyone else have any info?

i can't see my idea being detrimental to the TM holder in the least, but i suppose they could own it & thus reap the benefits of all of it's potential revenues and so on and so forth instead of me...

maybe you want to check the US trademark website and search for that TM if its registered or not.

http://www.uspto.gov
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

it is undoubtedly registered... but i'd still like to use it in part of a domain name if at all possible.

i'd say stay away.

or if you want togo with it, do it really depends on the company if you want to be against or with.

like companynameFANsClub.com or companynameSUCKS.com

long time ago there was aolsux.com or something but seems its not there now, dunno what happened to them though

Re: is it legal to use copyrighted/trademark names in domain names?

Originally posted by ewing
    is it legal to use copyrighted/trademark names in domain names?
    NO! Period. The question is: WHY? To cash in on the famous brand names of other people, but isn't that exactly what trademark law is all about?
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

it would be positive, not negative.

it would be a forum discussing said trademarked companies products/services - mainly in a positive light.

could i use it as part of a sub domain on one of my sites?

It is actually called cybersquatting and it is illegal to do. They can pull the domain from you as well as have the site closed down and if they persue the case you could be fined.

Just to a search for cybersquatting.
    Freckle Face
    http://frecklefacehosting.com

I would get written permission from the trademark holder first.
    Quality web hosting PullHost.com

I don't know if you can use Trademark names in your domain name, all I know is that you can not Trademark or Copyright a domain name.

Originally posted by gghosting
    ... all I know is that you can not Trademark or Copyright a domain name.
    You probably canNOT copyright a domain name (too short), but there ARE quite some trademarks out there which bear just the domain names.

For differences between copyright and trademark, please check out:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac...ral/whatis.htm
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

ok, so what if i use a non-legally protected run of the mill sub-domain name & then simply discuss said copyrighted/trademarked product/service within the forums?

any problems foreseen with that?