Is CPanel a real pain?

Hello to all,

Please help me with your oppinion ...

My server administrator don't stop telling me that CPanel is a very dangerous thing and we should use webmin.

He telling me that because of CPanel MySQL dissapear or some email related programs.

Is this true?

Is realy CPanel a pain?

I ask you this because I suspect my administrator to be not so accustomed with CPanel setting and all problems comming from that.

I really appreciate your help.

Best Regards,

Cpanel/WHM is known to be buggy and problematic at times. Of course, Cpanel is friendly to end users and that's why most web host are using it.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

compared to webmin i would proly choose cpanel. it isnt as bad as hes making it. it is expensive though, maybe thats why?
    jubba joo!

Thank you very much for replays ...

Expensive? But I pay the bill not my administrator ...

Also, from my experience (not as server admin) I know that webmin can't be used for hosting services companies.

In this case I have to close my business because "CPanel is a monster" as my Admin said?

Thank you again.

SmartBiz cpanel is far more advanced than Webmin and comes out with patches very fast for any exploits. I've been using it for over 2 years and haven't looked back since. Any control panel is a pain if you don't know how to use it. Your admin is probably saying don't get Cpanel because he's never used it

I've also been looking at Plesk 7 which looks very nice, you might want to check that out or Ensim for other options. Like any control panel, it's not meant to manage your server for you - that requires real admin work, something a lot of people these days don't seem to understand. Cpanel just makes things easier for an admin by doing a lot of things for you and your clients but you still need to spend some time in the shell to keep your system running well

Cheers
    Upload Guardian 2 - Malicious Upload Scanner - Windows and Linux!
    Instantly scan uploaded files
    Get notified when released

Oh serious?

Webmin cannot be used as Web Hosting Businesses? What happened if found doing this?

Hello Ramprage,

This is my impression, too. This is why I asked here.

WCHost, I tought that webmin can be used only if you do NOT offer hosting accounts to people.

Thank you,

I love cPanel!

SmartBiz. Sure, cpanel keeps us on our toes at times, but lots of us use. And lots of us admin it. Quite frankly, if your admin can't handle cpanel, perhaps you should seek someone more qualified. There are lots of places to get the answers to what he doesn't know. Just go for cpanel. I'm betting that, once your admin gets accustomed to it, he will find it ain't all that bad.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

CPanel IS a pain but no more than any other utility. And I as much as anyone hate to admit it but CPanel is probably the overall best.

Thank you all for your usefull replays.

I have now a complete picture about CPanel/WHM and my situation.

Best Regards,

Originally posted by SmartBiz
    Thank you all for your usefull replays.

I have now a complete picture about CPanel/WHM and my situation.

Best Regards,
    Also, you have to wacth out for the updates, because for some reason they don't test it properly, and end up with more problems. So be sure to select manual update so you can keep up, plus only use their "Stable" versions.
    You might wanna visit www.securityfocus.com
    Also, you can't really depend on cPanel, most things you have to do manaully.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Hey all,

I have to respectfully disagree with what most of the people here have said.

Maybe my expectations are unrealistic, however in our experiences with hosting using cPanel, I've seen a good number of "bug fixes" actually cause more bugs than they've fixed. I've seen several buggy releases that cPanel brands as "STABLE."

While my experience is limited with Plesk, Ensim, and H-Sphere, I have industry contacts that have more experience with these alternative panels. Based on my discussions with them, it does seem that cPanel is one of the most poorly-designed panels around.

Sure, it is very user-friendly, easy-to-understand, and has a lot of functionality. But it's fairly buggy (even the "stable" releases), and as we've recently seen (with the password reset bug), fairly insecure.

For shared hosting, cPanel might still be better than webmin for the functionality alone, but if you're planning on hosting any significant number of accounts on cPanel servers, I suggest that you have an on-staff system administrator to investigate and fix problems and keep the server secure.

For what it's worth, I really do like the multi-server design of H-Sphere better than the other panels. Though I have heard complaints that H-Sphere is not user friendly, or that for some reason, end-users really don't like it. In addition to that, we put up a RedHat Enterprise box and had problems installing H-Sphere. Psoft volunteered to help, but then complained that our Perl was installed incorrectly. Strange, because this was a fresh RH Enterprise installation to a new server. We haven't had time to continue evaluating it or debugging the install problems.

In any case, it's up to you. If I were starting a new hosting company, I'd probably *seriously* evaluate all alternatives before going with cPanel.

One last thing -- cPanel support hasn't been too good within the past few months. It seems that problems that can't be solved by our staff usually can't be solved by their staff. They'll often send replies like "is it working now?" When we reply "no," we then don't see any further replies to the ticket for days or weeks... sometimes they just seem to forget about tickets containing problems that they don't know how to solve.

Just my two cents.

-Russ
    Sitelutions: www.sitelutions.com -- Reliable Hosting, Low-Cost Domains, Dynamic DNS
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.: www.inforelay.com
    Bulk Bandwidth Pricing, Unmetered Servers, Unbelievable Affordability -- Locations in: Ashburn, Los Angeles, Chicago, Reston, San Jose, Dallas, New York, Washington, DC.

There are two differences between Webmin and cPanel/WHM

Webmain: Free

cPanel/WHM: Not

You get what you pay for.

If your admin keep telling you that, you should think of changing your host.

Its possible your admin is refering to the incident where a Cpanel update disconnected a lot of MySQL databases. I did not experience that first hand, but I've heard it was a mess.

Thats why most people with Cpanel don't auto update and wait for a stable release.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -- Ben Franklin
    Twice Tied Laces