* Simple design vs Fantastic design

I've been using a very simple, straight forward design for my webhosting business. I am pretty nifty with design, however I didn't want to overload my site with unessecary "coolness".

However, I am thinking of a re-design. But, before I went ahead and came up with an off-the-scale design, I wanted to hear your opinions of fantastic designs vs the simple, straight forward, down to the point ones.
    Bannaz™ | Amazing HTML5 Banner Ad Designer!
    Leading designers in online advertising
    Need banners? Visit our Website

I reckon the design has to simple and straight foward but also has to look proffessional and pleasing to the eye. But not overloading the design with every colour that you can find.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

Try something in middle between those 2. I think it should be very good looking, but not too flashy so visitor's attention would be on content not on design.

I agree with CyberAlien, Go thw mid road..........you want to show you clients that you are a pro and your site must reflect that...........

I have entered to many "Web designers" websites and they (My Opion) look really bad........that turns me off..........

I have also entered a few sites that there is so much flash that I almost went blind

In my opion Look for a good content managment system. We LOVE MAMBO4.5............many of these CMS have themes and templates that you can set up and change very easyly.

Also allows you to add content to your site very easy..............so you get the best of both worlds.............great looking site and easy to use also

Good luck
    "A man's worth is not measured in the numbers in his bank account, but in the number of people that call him friend"

Your friends at MyTurnkeyBusiness.com

Remember that above all else, you have to appear professional. If it doesn't appear professional, then you will loose business.

No one wants to be hosted if they think their web host is run by a 13-year-old.
    Peter M Dodge,
    President, Viridian Tower Electronics

(Formerly Creative Director of LiquidFire Network Solutions 2003-2007)

Knowing your target audience is important when designing your site. I believe budget hosts should be designed differently than hosts which offer less and charge more. Personally, these days whenever I see a TM style design, I automatically assume the host is a budget host. When I see a clean, professional design, I always assume it's not. It's almost always the case.

The design and structure of your site is more important than what most think.

Currently our site is a unique, very clean and well structured site. A lot of white space, easy to read text, no empty words, and although we are still only receiving ~5 or so signups a week, at the time, our conversion rate is extremely well.

Keep it clean, simple and to the point if you're targetting a more professional crowd. If you're a budget host, I'd do a mix of cool & cutting-edge, with clean & professional.

Good luck.

the-host-axe - He got it spot on

Originally posted by the-host-axe
    I reckon the design has to simple and straight foward but also has to look proffessional and pleasing to the eye. But not overloading the design with every colour that you can find.
    What it if it's for rainbowHost or something?
    Peter M Dodge,

My advice was for the "typical" web host but then again it depends on your company and your requirements. So if you rainbow by all means splash on it as many colours as your palette allows.

But apart from the colour bit I sed earlier, the first bit still appilies even if it is rainbowhost.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

I know, I was giving a rather pathetic attempt at humour to point out that it depends upon the host
    Peter M Dodge,

Simple design can have advantages. If you look around - many web hosting websites are just overloaded with high-tech design. Yes, they look nice, but I think it can be very irritating to a customer. These websites also look a like somehow. Different color but in the end - very similiar.

It sure looks like art out there - but what if the design just scares the customer away because now they feel bad that their own website looks so 'boring' or 'simple' and they go somewhere else?! The differences are maybe too big. The customer sees 3-4 of these sites when comparing potential web host alternatives - and then he sees the more simple looking website. Easy to navigate, more something on the level of average Joe. It feels more like home for him and he signs up.
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials