Australians = worst internet?

My server had had its ups and downs, and recently we were getting these random 'page not found errors'.

Anyway, after i moved into the server after moving from my old host and changed DNS, my friend from australia who works on my network could no longer view it.

Everytime he trys to access a site on my server he gets a 'page not found' error. Server matrix havent really been very helpful, i sent them an email about the page errors, they sent one email back asking for urls to test and then never replied back.

My friends ISP is Optus.

http://og-network.com
    http://og-forums.com

Help!

tell him to use a different proxy

You have first to check your DNS settings with www.dnsreport.com and pay special attention to TTL recommendations.

Provisionary, you may advise your associate to open his \windows\Hosts
    and to add your dns specs to be able to open the pages of your site, like this
    Code:
    101.101.101.101	www.yourdomain.com
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Warning: Your NS records at your authoritative DNS servers have TTLs that do not match what the parent servers report:

ns4.outcast-gaming.net. [TTL 172800 at parent; 14400 at 69.56.198.154]ns3.outcast-gaming.net. [TTL 172800 at parent; 14400 at 69.56.198.154]
    In some cases, this can cause some serious problems. For example, if the parent servers have a 172800 second TTL (48 hours), and your authoritative DNS servers report a TTL of 3600 seconds (1 hour), you are saying that the parent DNS servers do not have the correct information. But, after 1 hour your DNS records may time out. At that point a DNS resolver will need to get fresh NS records. This can cause a serious problem in some cases.
    That might be my problem.

Originally posted by Tux-e-do
    tell him to use a different proxy
    If I remember correctly, Optus uses a transparent proxy.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

101.101.101.101 www.og-network.com
    101.101.101.101 www.og-forums.com

that correct?

I've just tried that and it didn't work, I still get the area. I'm from the UK (channel islands) And my friends (only some of them) are getting the same problems, they're also from the same area....

I've opened a ticket in orbit about these page not found errors.

By the way, ask the one at australia to tell you wich IP does the domain get resolved to for HIM. It's easily achievable by typing ping www.domain.com in an MSDOS shell.

Also, if you get a 404 error (page not found) maybe you are using some kind of redirection script/service that isn't 100% compatible with the browser the australian one is using.

If it's a "page cannot be displayed" error then it's mostly sure a DNS problem.

By the way, hitting refresh twice (or F5 twice) forces some proxies to reload the page and rewrite the cache, maybe that'll work.
    Fabio A. Calderon
    C.E.O.
    SEATi

some how i found this problem common with SM and really cant find why. it is only with SM no one else.

i used to face this with the windos server for some time. any new ip for any one out of US will get the problem, but dont ask me why.

after some time that server get some hits from the ISP then things will be ok
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

Originally posted by andrewbrooks
    101.101.101.101 www.og-network.com
    101.101.101.101 www.og-forums.com

that correct?
    Change IP to your own
    101 is just a sample
    and use Tab separator between IP and www.domainname
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

What if you don't have a static IP? ( im aol )

This is the server IP, not of your PC.

Code:
    69.56.198.155	www.og-forums.com

Thanks, most greatfull.

BTW i have just noticed in my hosts file a lot of ad sites

127.0.0.1 ad06.popupad.net
    127.0.0.1 ad07.popupad.net
    127.0.0.1 ad08.popupad.net
    127.0.0.1 ad09.popupad.net
    127.0.0.1 contest.x10.com
    127.0.0.1 control.x10.com
    127.0.0.1 graphics.x10.com
    127.0.0.1 reports.x10.com
    127.0.0.1 software.x10.com
    127.0.0.1 store.x10.com
    127.0.0.1 www.x10.com
    127.0.0.1 48.fes.linknclick.com
    127.0.0.1 ad.about.com
    127.0.0.1 ad.adfred.de
    127.0.0.1 ad.adworx.at
    127.0.0.1 ad.bannernetwork.it
    127.0.0.1 ad.betanews.com
    127.0.0.1 ad.comedie.lbn.fr
    127.0.0.1 ad.cornerpost.com
    127.0.0.1 ad.digitallook.com
    127.0.0.1 ad.es.chilinext.com

can i delete them?

Of course, with this IP they are useless. :-)
    In short, your Hosts file is your mini-DNS server. Use it only when waiting for a domain to be propagated.

can i delete them?
    Finally a post I can help someone else with after all the help I have gotten.

You can delete those hosts from your hosts file, but there really isn't any point.

What is happening with them is that any files (usually image ads) that would normally display on web pages from those servers are effectively blocked. Unless you had your site hosted on one of these servers (you don't) they would not make any diffence to your server.

I'd be inclined to leave the entries in, but webmasters who would have their advertising blocked by your settings would tell you differently.

Boris

Hello

A giant squid might be resting on the trans-pacific cable.

Worst internet is in Russia and other third-world countries Australia is way ahead.

Home users here still pay per MB (!!!) of traffic, and quite costly too, and >64 Kbit line is what you dream about.

The motherland pwns.

Russia is a G8 country - far from being a TWC, and the Runet has made a remarkable progress in the last two years. The authors of Virtuozzo - the Virtual Private Servers Technology - are also Russian! :-)

Just a quick question, i have had reports of further 404 errors, any body recieve them at

http://og-network.com

http://og-forums.com

I have no problems viewing your sites.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

I think I have the Answer

Hi,
    I run a hosting business in Australia and use server matrix servers. I had a client who had exactly the same problem. In fact some isp connections worked , such as AOL, Iprimus, etc, while others would not, Ozemail, telstra. etc.

I contacted the ISP's about it and finally the problem was found - it was nothing to do with the networks it was a DOMAIN NAME whois database error in the VERISIGN whois database. The particular domain in questions was recorded as:
    in the Verisign whois database and because of this many of the ISP's that use this whois database failed to show the website. The other ISP's looked up different whois databases with STATUS: Active
    and that's why they worked. What we had to do was contact our Domain Registrar enom.com and get them to fix the Status on the Verisign Database. - after 24 hours or so it worked fine.

Australia is so way ahead, they have like cable in 1990 but for school and government

1997, Telstra has their first residential cable =) *YAH! thats me!, got it since then already! now 2004! 7 years with Telstra*

=)

Originally posted by WCHost
    7 years with Telstra
    Really? I feel for you. :p

Optus cable has really started to suffer since the introduction of their 12GB plan. Under their old 3GB plan, they were crowned with the fastest and most reliable service year after year. Since March 1, I believe they no longer hold this position.

Re: I think I have the Answer

Originally posted by bjdea1
    Hi,
    I run a hosting business in Australia and use server matrix servers. I had a client who had exactly the same problem. In fact some isp connections worked , such as AOL, Iprimus, etc, while others would not, Ozemail, telstra. etc.

I contacted the ISP's about it and finally the problem was found - it was nothing to do with the networks it was a DOMAIN NAME whois database error in the VERISIGN whois database. The particular domain in questions was recorded as:
    in the Verisign whois database and because of this many of the ISP's that use this whois database failed to show the website. The other ISP's looked up different whois databases with STATUS: Active
    and that's why they worked. What we had to do was contact our Domain Registrar enom.com and get them to fix the Status on the Verisign Database. - after 24 hours or so it worked fine.
    I think you may be mistaken. whois has nothing to do with DNS. If the domain name is current then there should be a parent name server record for the domain name with details on who the authoratative name servers are for the domain. Use www.dnsreport.com to check up on the DNS for the domain name.

Originally posted by pjs
    Optus cable has really started to suffer since the introduction of their 12GB plan. Under their old 3GB plan, they were crowned with the fastest and most reliable service year after year. Since March 1, I believe they no longer hold this position.
    Yes because Telstra put up this 10GB/Unlimited plan for $59.95 when original was only 3GB for $89.95

Everything goes weird..and Australia..blabla community sue Telstra of being anti-competing something..can't remember..speed read newspaper..end up dont know what i am talking about