Domain vs Web Host

What is the difference between the two?

A domain name is just an address of a website such as .

A Web Host is a provider of webhosting services. They market virtual webhosting plans which provides you with a space to host your websites, email address and so on.

In English, if your address is 123 Enternal Street. That would be your domain name. A Web Host would be your estate site owner who rents out that property to you. - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Domain name is like this is what you will need to register so no one else can have that domain name for a period of time, you can do that through , , , etc.

Web hosting is what you need to have your website running, basically its where your files are stored and people on the internet can access it, some companies give you free limited hosting when you register a domain, however if you need quality hosting , meaning fast, features, etc, you will have to pay,

I'm hosintg with and they have plans starting from $2.99 a month, search through for more,

hope this helps,

4. #4 the difference...but how do I tie both of thos together? I am not understanding the connection.

Here are the steps...

1) You think of the domain name you want, for example , on some hosting companies like you can register the domain with them , or you can register it with the registerers i mentioned in the last reply.

2) Once your domain is ready, you find a hosting plan with some company and they will give you DNS addresses, and you will have to put those where you registered your site, so it would point to their server,

3) Wait 1-5 days for your domain to propagate through the internet

lol..Oh geez are going out there....I am taking baby steps

So I register a domain name....then I take the domain name to a web host?

Atlanta, Jawja
    Eternalistic, yep, or your web host can handle that aspect for you.

maniplus, 1-5 days? Fastest registration AND propogation I've ever had is 25 minutes, had one today that was two hours. I average approximately 8-12 hours for full internet propogation on new domain registrations. If it's taking you that long, you might wanna switch registrars.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

the easiest would be to get your domain from the same place you are going to be hosting it, they will put the DNS addresses for you,

If you are registering enom, registerfly, etc , its not that hard.. host gives you two addresses like these and

and you simply place them on your DNS configurations for the domain you bought,

takes 1-5 days until the world can access it,

Sorry to be a pest...but what is DNS?

Seattle, WA
    DNS (Domain Name Server)
    It converts a domain name to an IP and or an IP to a domain name.

So you can type in and it will direct it to < your IP

11. #11 the best way to secure a domain name is to go thru the same webhost?

DNS = Domain Name Servers. This is like the Directory which you find in the Information Counter at an office block.

Just register the domain name with a domain name registrar and find out from your web host what their DNS servers are, they should give you two which is something like and . Something like that. - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Seattle, WA
    Originally posted by Eternalistic the best way to secure a domain name is to go thru the same webhost?
    Not really, depending on the host, some have been known if they register the domain for you. If you do not use their services they will not update your DNS Records. I suggest registering with

14. #14 the first step is register a domain name?

If you register through the same web host make sure to check if they do register it under your name or under theirs. Some are known to 'hijack' your domain name and prevent you from moving. - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

16. #16 now my next question is.....what does registering a domain name do for me? What is so good about doing it?

Seattle, WA
    gives you your own little personal space on the web bascially

If i wanted to I could register (if avilible) and id have my name on the web.

the real utilization is being able to have personal e-mail accounts at what ever name you pick

Registering a domain name gives your website a unique address which your clients and visitors can find you. Something like gets to your website instead of having to type - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

San Antonio, Texas
    Originally posted by Eternalistic now my next question is.....what does registering a domain name do for me? What is so good about doing it?
    I think would answer many of your questions.
    They have a beginner FAQ as well:
    Beginner FAQ

what is a web host?

what is a domain name? - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

SO I REGISTER A DOMAIN NAME AND THEN I GET A WEBHOST TO GIVE ME SPACE FOR IT? Sorry for the caps...I am at work and we type ina ll caps here.

That would be the plan. By registering the domain name would ensure that you have that domain name. There are times which you may find a nice name but it might be already registered. - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

22. #22 please answer this. After I register my domain name and sign up with a web host, what will be my site address then? I am confused how I upload my files to reflect my domain name.

Your site address if you require your domain name will be your domain name. If you require, then your site address will be . And you can ftp using . That's the whole reason for registering your own domain name. If it is going to be different from your registered domain name then it defeats the purpose of the domain name, right ? - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Some more helpful information here
    Last edited by morehost; 03-14-2004 at 04:58 AM.
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers -

So what "extras" should I look for when choosing a domain name?

EU - east side

I already know what domain name I am going to question is....what are the things I should look for when picking a doman. For example: offers this:

FREE with every domain!

Change of Registration
    Parked Page
    Domain Locking
    Status Alerts
    New! Forwarding / Masking
    New! "For Sale" Page
    New! Total DNS Control
    New! 100 Email Forwards

NEW! Rapid Transfer System!
    NEW! Transfer Concierge available!
    Here's why you should transfer

I used to register all my domain names with Network Solutions, because when I started doing it they were the only choice. Their quality and reliability are high, and customer service was always easy to deal with. Unfortunately their prices are high too.

Godaddy has a good reputation, and might be #2 in quality behind Netsol. Last week I registered 9 new names with godaddy and am very happy with the prices and the ease of using their manager. I'll probably use them from now on.

The rest of the registrars have mixed reputations and at best might save you another dollar or two per year.

The services included with the registration are probably all you need. You don't need to pay extra for any other services from them if you plan on getting a host for your site.

BTW, the "forwarding/masking" included by godaddy will let you apply your domain name to a free web site that your ISP or some other free host gives you (though be aware that free sites generally suck)

If you are going to get a paid hosting for your site, then you just need ability to point name servers in most cases. Unlike hosting, there isn't much of support needed with domain and so it can be comparitively safe going with a cheap registrar. But do make sure you have proper password protected control panel.
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers -