adware problems...this sucks! :(

So once you get this crap on your computer, youre basically screwed right?
    I just dont get it, I dont visit any sites out of my normal harmless ones, and my computer STILL always gets this crap.
    I have 3 ad-ware remover programs, and they dont do anyhting.
    Today I got something that changed my homepage, and when I set my original homepage back, it just sets it back again after I re-start my computer.

Please, if someone could help me, I'd be so greatful! Is there ANYTHING I can do? How can I get rid of this crap!?

I have the same problem..I get pop ups and it annoys the heck out of me.

I got rid of some using Spybot, ad-aware, and SpySubstract (the best out of the ones I tried).

But I still get them So if anybody has some better ways of getting rid of spyware I am willing to listen.

You need SPY SWEEPER my friend!!!!!!

It will rid everything for you!!!!!!!

The Dude

Try Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy. Those 2 always do the trick. I don't know what adware removers you have, but it seems they don't work, but tell us what they are.

As well: Do you use Kazaa, or any P2P programs, or just any downloaded programs alot? Please tell us as well.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

Spybot Search & Destroy is great

The progee i mentioned above is better!!

Spybot said i was clean,i got spy sweeper and it found 3 more things! (1 had over 200 entries in my registry)

The Dude

I just installed spy sweeper and I still have the ad ware.

This makes like 5 different programs I have tried, and none work. Seriously, what is someone supposed to do? Do you just have to buy a new computer once it happens?

I really dont know much about computers at all and how they work, but if something is installed on my computer, can't I just find it and delete it from wherever it is? I dont understand the whole deal really. Isnt there a specific directory where all this crap can be found?

Im so pissed right now.

if the problem isn't being fixed by using the programs and you have a backup of your files, etc just do a format. You don't need to buy a new computer

Ive never done it before, but Ive heard that formating is a real pain. Is this true? I have TONS of pictures and html files stored on my computer.

And then even if I do, it can just happen again the next day, right?

Shibby, are you certain that you did both ad-aware and spybot S&D AFTER updating them for the latest definitions? If so, run Hijack this (download link), and post your log at http://boards.cexx.org/ in the Spyware - Help! section. They'll help ya out. Be sure to describe what homepage is coming up in IE, and all that stuff.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat

yes i faced a problem with one of my clients at work where even after cleaning the pc with spybot the spyware is still there . some how it replaces bookmarks and adds shortcuts.
    the only way was to format. i guess this spyware was not added to spybot yet.

Or you can solve all your problems and get a Mac!
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

As said before, run "hijack This". it will find any browser hijckers. Sometimes the spyware will also add favorites, change your homepage as well as make it impossible to change settings in your Windows Control Panel, or Desktop settings.

If you're having problems with your control panel as well, you'll need to run the system file checker and restore a file to enable you to explore again. Anyways, if this is the case, let us know, and i'll post how to fix it.

Originally posted by KIAHost
    Or you can solve all your problems and get a Mac!
    YUK!!!

The Dude

I update the definitions of Adaware and then reboot in to Safe Mode and run a full deep scan on the whole computer. This works great for me because none of the cruddy programs load in to memory and adaware will remove them all completly.

I find if I run in Widows then some directories cant be deleted because they have files "in use"... but in Safe Mode they are not "in use" and it kills the lot.
    -- Matthew

Also, make sure that if you use HijackThis, only do it to get the log to post onto cexx.org !! DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DELETE ALL OF WHAT IT FINDS! Most of it is actual normal files. Post it on cexx.org and they'll tell you what to delete. Trust me on this.
    AIM=IQPhat

do not romand running adaware i only trust Spybot - Search & Destroy

BizB, in my experience, both programs miss stuff the other picks up.
    I always run Ad-Aware first so that it cleans up the running processes, and then I run Spybot.
    AIM=IQPhat

Ok, I think I'll try that 'hijack this'. But, what exactly do I download? When I go to that link, I don't know what exactly to download.

And whatever it is, it does add things to my favorites, and it keeps changing my homepage. I also noticed that my windows media player stopped working.

oops, didn't notice that. You need to cut and paste the link. They prevent hotlinking. Sorry bout that.
    AIM=IQPhat