Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    5,283

    Second look at The Passion of the Christ.

    You know, I watched Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" quite some time ago, and been thinking about it ever since: What exactly is so controversial about the movie as people are saying? I personally did not see any controversy about the film or a story at all except for it to be very bloody and graphical.

    Someone cares to fill the blanks in my mind?
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

    Is your company represented?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,033
    controversial
    well to people that do not belive in god then they might think it is controversial that they are trying to make people think their is a god. Though I havent got to see it yhet every time I went it been sold out .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,852
    I think the only real controversy was that Pontius Pilate was shown in a sympathetic light where as the Jewish were made to be the bad guys.

    I don't know if this is all true because I haven't seen the movie. (and probably won't)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    5,283
    Originally posted by blue27
    I think the only real controversy was that Pontius Pilate was shown in a sympathetic light where as the Jewish were made to be the bad guys.
    I thought of that, but aren't Jewish people killed him as the Bible says? Again, its not like Gibson will be lying. he is just making an adaptation based on the Bible. I don't think Jewish people should get overly dissapointed with history.

    If that's all the controversy, then I'm pretty stunned.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

    Is your company represented?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    9,675
    I agree. I completely didn't get what the big deal was about. I thought the movie was boring and made out to be more important than it really is. Two hours of Jesus getting the bejesus beat out of him...and various shots of him grimacing...intertwined with shots of Mary crying.

    Booooooooooring.

    --Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    5,283
    Wow, Tina, that boring for you? Well, I woudn't say it was that boring for me, but violence kept me awake pretty much the next 48 hours after the screening.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

    Is your company represented?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    12,200
    I have yet to see the movie; however, its focus on the martyric ending definitely does not convey the message that my church teaches: that the Resurrection provides us with hope for salvation in the afterlife.

    They could have made a movie focusing simply on the teachings and miracles performed by Jesus, but then again that has been done before.

    Therefore, I don't view the Passion through the religious eye but simply as another film that decides to provoke and stimulate the viewer with its intensity.

  8. #8
    I believe the movie was made so people realize and understand how brutal the killing of Jesus was. I think, you'll have to really believe to understand it and enjoy it.
    Money is the root of all evil. So if you don't want to go crazy, give it all to me

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    690
    The entertainment value of this movie simply wasn't present however being raised in a christian environment, attending church, seeing the easter programs my whole life I felt I needed to see another side to what probably is more of a realistic view of what happened to Jesus. We are of course going off thousands of years of heresay and interpretation but I believe what I saw to most likely be much closer to what actually occured.

    Realism based on a perception based on an intepretation, kinda convaluded i guess.
    Ryan Porter, Owner
    Extreme Internet Solutions
    Quality Hosting Solutions -- Affordable Prices
    Providing Fabulous Hosting and Unreal Web Design! Excellence is our focus.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    5,137
    Originally posted by timechange.com
    I have yet to see the movie; however, its focus on the martyric ending definitely does not convey the message that my church teaches: that the Resurrection provides us with hope for salvation in the afterlife.
    The movie does end with Resurrection, not death.

    They could have made a movie focusing simply on the teachings and miracles performed by Jesus, but then again that has been done before.
    Jesus' death and his resurrection is his greatest miracle.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    5,283
    Originally posted by JWise
    I believe the movie was made so people realize and understand how brutal the killing of Jesus was. I think, you'll have to really believe to understand it and enjoy it.
    Enjoy it?????????????

    You must be some kind of sicko there, aren't ya?

    On a more serious note, I agree that the movie is there to realize the pain and brutal killing of a man. I mean literally speaking that guy took quite a beating I'm not sure every man can handle.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

    Is your company represented?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    629
    Originally posted by AffordableHost
    I agree. I completely didn't get what the big deal was about. I thought the movie was boring and made out to be more important than it really is. Two hours of Jesus getting the bejesus beat out of him...and various shots of him grimacing...intertwined with shots of Mary crying.

    Booooooooooring.

    --Tina
    I also found the movie quite boring.

  13. #13
    Originally posted by Torith
    well to people that do not belive in god then they might think it is controversial that they are trying to make people think their is a god. Though I havent got to see it yhet every time I went it been sold out .
    Well the liberals that get thier shorts in a bunch when conservatives complain about something, we should tell them what they always tell us. DO GO WATCH IT THEN!!
    L. James Prevo - President/Owner
    Prevo Network, LLC - http://www.prevo.net
    Est. 1999 - Month to Month Billing!!

  14. #14
    Originally posted by Artashes
    Enjoy it?????????????

    You must be some kind of sicko there, aren't ya?

    On a more serious note, I agree that the movie is there to realize the pain and brutal killing of a man. I mean literally speaking that guy took quite a beating I'm not sure every man can handle.
    When I say enjoy I didn't mean laughing like enjoy. But enjoy as interested into the movie. Anything other than "boring"


    Guess enjoy wasn't a good word to use huh. But, the movie filled alot of people with Joy and Hope.. hence the crying.
    Money is the root of all evil. So if you don't want to go crazy, give it all to me

  15. #15
    Originally posted by ljprevo
    Well the liberals that get thier shorts in a bunch when conservatives complain about something, we should tell them what they always tell us. DO GO WATCH IT THEN!!
    Opps, that was "DON'T go watch it then."
    L. James Prevo - President/Owner
    Prevo Network, LLC - http://www.prevo.net
    Est. 1999 - Month to Month Billing!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •