Router / Switch Question

I have Optimum Online broadband internet and a 4 port netgear router to network my house. However, the netgear has recently died and I need something new. My question is, will a switch work? Could I just buy a 8 Port switch and it could do the same effect?

I am not sure as to what the router is doing for me that the switch can't.

Someone please help me out with this one

Thank You

routers help with well, routing. Generally a switch is used to further split the line from teh router to make more avaliable connnections. I am not an expert on this, but I think that is how it works. A switch cannot handle controling the connection, routing ips, etc.

Thats what I was thinking. A switch can't assign IP's (DHCP Server) or anything.

A router makes one connection to the internet (WAN) and it creates a local network behind it (i.e. it assigns IP addresses via DHCP to all the computers hooked up to it). A router effectively becomes the only thing on your network visible to the internet.

A switch/hub however, just splits the connection up between the computers hooked up to it and each computer gets its own internet IP assigned by your ISP, so every computer hooked up to it is visible to the internet.
    [COLOR=dark-blue]Matt Carpenter[/COLOR]
    Offer your clients a brandable FTP upload utility

^^ What he said

If you have an old machine (386/486), with 2 NICs, you can run a DHCP server on it, plug one in to the cable modem and the other one into the switch and plug all your PCs into the switch.

That would work just as well as a router.
    Gone.

I have a Belkin ethernet router hooked up with my DSL. Just got it as an external firewall type thing.

The router has a built in firewall... doesn't the router add lots of extra protection against hackers... or just a little extra protection. Lots or little?

if you have 5 PC's running apache and 5 'external' IP addresses (from the service provider) and want each PC to have it's own IP address, would you:

a) run the modem to a router and in the router tables, set up DHCP and then set up each PC for an INTERNAL IP addy and configure apache accordingly based on the internal IP addys or

b) run the modem to a hub and then (in win 2k) set each PC's IP address to be the external IP you want or

c) run the modem to a PC and let the PC be the 'router'?

thanks...
    Each One Teach One~eduhosting.org
    Financial Software, Video Production
    Graphic Design, Free PC Labs 4 Kids. Start one in your town. It's a BLAST!

Lots.

Your firewall will block all ports other than the ones you specify in port forwarding.

This means trojans wont work on you.
    [unless they run on a common port like 80 or 8080]

Also, if a hacker tries to hack you, he will get the router, not a computer.

Look at this wonderful ascii drawing lol:
    COMP A
    Internet --> router<
    COMP B

Hacker is on internet, he sees router, not comp A and B

What is a good router then? I need 4 Ports, No Firewall, No Print Server. Something thats going to last. And something around $80

kckclass, you'd do b)

If you passed it through a router, you could only forward TCP port 80 incoming to one computer, not 5.
    Gone.

Thanks ilyash... then i'm glad I have the router :)

Originally posted by Neo3Net
    What is a good router then? I need 4 Ports, No Firewall, No Print Server. Something thats going to last. And something around $80
    Buffalo and Linksys are pretty good.

I have a wireless 802.11b buffalo router with 4 10/100mbit ports as well. Costs around $80 now. I love the buffalo configuration utility - it's so flexible.
    Gone.

Originally posted by Neo3Net
    Regular:
    http://www.linksys.com/Products/prod...id=29&prid=561
    Do you need wireless?
    http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=544

I would have recommended netgear for home use, but as you said yours died, i dont think you want to use them again eh?

I am not sure. I only had it for a year and 2 months. :-(

I am on Road Runner cable. I got a 4 port switch a few months ago and tried to hook up a couple boxes and none would connect. Here I call them up and they say that I would have to purchase another ip from them. Right then I knew what was wrong. I need a router. I went to wallyworld and got the 4 port D-link. Does the job fine for me. Plus I have the security of the firewall in it.
    Dave

Your broadband router probably did NAT and DHCP, whilst a normal switch will probably be able to handle more traffic etc but without the above features.
    MattF - Since the start..

It depends on opt online, do they allow you to freely grab as many IPs as you need from their DHCP server? I'm asking because Verizon used to let me do that while i was on it. If that was the case, you just simply need a switch to share the connection ( which is what I think you are asking to do ). If not, you would need the router, which has the NAT firewall which is what actually enables you to share the one IP.
    josh

thanks phision... the firewall is in between the modem and the hub, though, right? or each PC can have a software based firewall?
    Each One Teach One~eduhosting.org
    Financial Software, Video Production
    Graphic Design, Free PC Labs 4 Kids. Start one in your town. It's a BLAST!