Automatic Thread Retirement

WebHostingTalk Owners, Programmers, and Moderators:
    Is there a way to set up your forum to retire (close) those old threads automatically? Or is it a manual process to go through each one? I have noticed some old threads coming back to life because they come up in a search and the user adds a post without realizing the stale dates. Shouldn't stale threads be closed that have the most recent post that is at least 1-year old (preferably 6-months old)?
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

That's a tough one, as we always tell folks to use the search feature, and when they do, they inevidably drag up older threads.

But I mostly agree with what you're saying.

Seems like we've discussed this somewhere . . .

And, I like it. I think six months is way too long to respond to a thread though.

Prohacker's plate is pretty full. Once we decide on a cutt-off point, he'll get something automated.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by Dennis
    . . . Once we decide on a cutt-off point, he'll get something automated.
    I think no more than 3mths, for a cut-off point.

Problem is that it depends on the thread. Sometimes, the information is dated, stale, crsuty almost, and other times the issue or discussion is timeless. I don't think anyone would disagree that having all the information and discussion in one thread, is better than having the information spread out to multiple threads.

To put it another way, often a member is told, "This has been discussed many times!" and then five threads (or more) are listed. Well, it wouldn't have been discussed in five threads if people would have searched and continued discussing it in the first thread. One thread, one discussion.

Often times, threads are just stale though, but there's not much you can do about it other than arbitrarily set them to close, or remove the last post and lock the thread if it's stale, don't remove the last post and lock it if it's not.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

I noticed many times a new member will bring up an old thread. There was one in the Hosting sub-forum that had to do with free internet that sat idle for 3 years til someone bought it back from the dead. One of the mods closed it and put that thread out of it's misery...
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.