Red face adding a chat system

What do you guys think about digichat as a chat host?? Do you think they would be a good idea for adding interaction among visitors to a website?? Or would it just make sense to get a dedicated server and install some other program. I heard that digichat, although expensive, is good for bandwidth issues.
    Last edited by djack89; 03-13-2004 at 09:43 AM.

There are tons of chat scripts out there have you checked hotscripts.com
    Life is Good,OleTom
    World Wide Job Search

IRC channel maybe?

if you want an IM on your site:
    http://www.jabber.org/admin/
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Originally posted by vengeful
    IRC channel maybe?
    I heard that there are firewall issues when using an irc chat method on a website, where a lot of visitors wouldn't be able to participate because of security settings on their computers.

There are tons of chat scripts out there
    Don't these scripts drain resources from the server dramatically??

Depends how you want to do it i guess.

A simple link on your site to a network and channel..like a "click here to chat" or are you going for a java or cgi based client on the page.

Course...IRC is a less expensive choice. Just make a channel on quakenet or something and link to it. Use someone elses bandwidth ;-)

Originally posted by BizB
    yes but it needs an irc server to connect to and many people have firewall walls that blocks irc ports like 6666 and 6667
    plus you cant control the irc rooms.
    is digichat they have a way to bypass firewalls and use port 80 and you have total control on the rooms as an admin
    What do you think about this? Is it worth it to pay digichat or should I go ahead and just point visitors to an irc channel, saving money?

Is the site making money to go for the better control option? Is the hobby worth it?

Why not try the free IRC aproach and see what kind of demand you get for it..then if you think it is an important part of the project...invest in something more suitable?(if IRC isn't working for you)

I hope to make money from it in the near future. So, you believe it would be worth it to use digichat if in fact this becomes profitable?? I hope to provide multi-variety sites that are profitable and I think that live chat rooms would be will be very interesting to potential visitors.

But, of course, I want to use the smartest methods. That's why I'm so glad that I have you guys.

I don't really know much about digichat. But $39 a month for something that the people who visit your site may not want to use is alot :-) (when the site isnt making money)

I mean to peak interest by offering various forms of entertainment, and I feel that a well managed chat system will be a good compliment. Do you know of anyone thats had any problems with the digichat service or are they mostly reliable??

I really don't know.

But if you would like to speak to me about just hosting it on somebody elses irc network you can contact me on AIM or MSN.

AHA..this is something I've been working on for a client..

Things to be considering:

How many concurrent users do you think you will have? 10? 20? 500?

Should you run it via third party or local server?

Personally, I dislike using IRC for any type of "pay" chat. IRC is, well, IRC. Prone to ddos, hacks, complicated command structure, etc, security issues, etc..

I've looked at serveral options....

http://www.parachat.com is one, prices are reasonable considering, and they have a server option you can buy and run on your machine.

http://www.chat-forum.com is another. Same basic features, but don't think they have a "server" option.

Digi-chat, well, it's damn good, but also damn expensive.

My client is looking to have up to 1000 ppl at a time online...(multiple rooms), and my recommendation would be to get a dedicated JUST for the chat.

Using parachat server, 50 concurrent users is a low load on the chat server. The CPU load will be light, but will need 500 MB of disk space (largely for log files). ParaChat Server does not use any temp files. It generates log files like a regular webserver, and the log files may be deleted periodically. Memory usage would be between 30 MB and 60 MB.

Estimated bandwidth consumption would likely average between 4 Kbits per second and 20 Kbits per second. (yes..PER SECOND, or 72mb per HOUR).

For 1000 concurrent users, the minimum requirements become Pentium III 1 Ghz, 1 GB memory, 30 GB disk space, 500 Kbits per second for estimated average bandwidth consumption (1.8GB per hour).

Depending on your chat needs, it can be a minimal issue or a EXPENSIVE one.

Originally posted by ArtieFishill
    AHA..this is something I've been working on for a client..

Things to be considering:

How many concurrent users do you think you will have? 10? 20? 500?

Should you run it via third party or local server?

Personally, I dislike using IRC for any type of "pay" chat. IRC is, well, IRC. Prone to ddos, hacks, complicated command structure, etc, security issues, etc..

I've looked at serveral options....

http://www.parachat.com is one, prices are reasonable considering, and they have a server option you can buy and run on your machine.

http://www.chat-forum.com is another. Same basic features, but don't think they have a "server" option.

Digi-chat, well, it's damn good, but also damn expensive.

My client is looking to have up to 1000 ppl at a time online...(multiple rooms), and my recommendation would be to get a dedicated JUST for the chat.

Using parachat server, 50 concurrent users is a low load on the chat server. The CPU load will be light, but will need 500 MB of disk space (largely for log files). ParaChat Server does not use any temp files. It generates log files like a regular webserver, and the log files may be deleted periodically. Memory usage would be between 30 MB and 60 MB.

Estimated bandwidth consumption would likely average between 4 Kbits per second and 20 Kbits per second. (yes..PER SECOND, or 72mb per HOUR).

For 1000 concurrent users, the minimum requirements become Pentium III 1 Ghz, 1 GB memory, 30 GB disk space, 500 Kbits per second for estimated average bandwidth consumption (1.8GB per hour).

Depending on your chat needs, it can be a minimal issue or a EXPENSIVE one.
    No offence...but it's people like you who are giving IRC a bad name.

Host a large warez IRC network...problems are going to happen...FACT!

Host a none warez IRC network you won't encounter anywhere near the ammount of problems a warez net does. It simple wouldn't attract the same people.

Sorry but i had to rant...

its Internet Relay Chat not Internet Relay Warez.

I like the idea of using digichat for control structure and security reasons. As long as their uptime, service and support are worth the price.

and did anyone had any experience with parachat.. it looks good too
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Try eveywherechat.com

BoldChat.com is the one I use. It is free and it only requires you to copy and paste and a small amount of HTML code into your website. Plus you don't even have to download any software!

i suggest http://www.pcpin.com/

very good chat in my opinion
    WHT's Own Tekster

Do i have a "Technical Support" sign on my back?
    Listen To Tekster Radio!

Originally posted by vengeful
    No offence...but it's people like you who are giving IRC a bad name.

Host a large warez IRC network...problems are going to happen...FACT!

Host a none warez IRC network you won't encounter anywhere near the ammount of problems a warez net does. It simple wouldn't attract the same people.

Sorry but i had to rant...

its Internet Relay Chat not Internet Relay Warez.
    I don't have to give IRC a bad name, it does a find job all by itself.

everywherechat.com - Looks ok for a free site, but wouldn' t trust it for business critical chat forum

Boldchat - This looks like a one on one support chat solution, not a open chat..

pcpin.com - PHP/mySQL based...low volume, be ok, high volume, you might run into troubles, PHP was not meant for doing this on a large scale.

Just my two cents.

It comes down to need I guess, you want a chat just for low volume of users, most of these will work...including IRC...but if you have a mission critical need for chat rooms that are going to be the backbone for your site, you need a server based Java system with good security and controls...but it will cost.