H-Sphere and WHM

Still checking out resellers to move my sites to. My dilemna is this, many of the resellers I like use WHM. So far I have only used H-Sphere which I am very fond of btw. What are the main differences between the 2 CPs?

TIA
    Gabe

Re: H-Sphere and WHM

Originally posted by Gabes
    Still checking out resellers to move my sites to. My dilemna is this, many of the resellers I like use WHM. So far I have only used H-Sphere which I am very fond of btw. What are the main differences between the 2 CPs?

TIA
    Gabe
    One is a single platform control panel.

The other (H-Sphere) is a multi-server, multi-platform, full automated web hosting solution.

Don't get me wrong, CPanel is a solid offering, but it, nor any of the others, are simply in H-Sphere's league, in my opinion.

However, a cpanel user may come along and argue against that point.

Simon

You should check out the cpanel demo and see if that's what you would be comfortable with?

Btw, H-sphere is a great product just not positioned properly in the market. It could have very well been the #1 cp for serious web hosts as the idea and product base is pretty good.
    Maker of World's BEST Browser & Web site development software.
    Shared / Reseller / Dedicated *Managed* Web hosting on Linux / Windows with 99.5% Uptime Guarantee with SLA & 90 days moneyback guarantee.
    Contact -> AIM: str1997 | ICQ: 303026849

Originally posted by Str
    You should check out the cpanel demo and see if that's what you would be comfortable with?

Btw, H-sphere is a great product just not positioned properly in the market. It could have very well been the #1 cp for serious web hosts as the idea and product base is pretty good.
    What makes you say it isn't the number one?

Keep in mind, places like WHT do not dictate the norm, and whilst CPanel may have it's followers, H-Sphere's forums alone, show the following H-Sphere has.

My own personal ranking;

H-Sphere
    Plesk
    CPanel tied with Ensim

In that order.

Simon

Well I don't think it is #1 ...ok it might be #1 and I'm just ignorant...I really liked the idea and working of h-sphere though...but when I use it I find it lacking a lot of things ( that's just me ) so it doesn't looks like the idea cp to me yet. ( but that's just me )

anyways, sorry for taking the thread off topic. Let's get back to the subject.
    Maker of World's BEST Browser & Web site development software.
    Shared / Reseller / Dedicated *Managed* Web hosting on Linux / Windows with 99.5% Uptime Guarantee with SLA & 90 days moneyback guarantee.
    Contact -> AIM: str1997 | ICQ: 303026849

I have to disagree with those rankings.

A simple google search on each keyword shows a much different picture.

cpanel 552,000 records.
    H-Sphere 89,800 records
    Plesk 255,000 records
    Ensim 331,000 records

While that is not conclusive evidence it does show something.
    That and 80% of the host here use Cpanel.

I would say that CPanel and Ensim have the largest segment of the general hosting market.

From my own expereince the servers I sell and the data centers I have talked to 90% of the servers being placed use Cpanel, it was Ensim until about 2 years ago when the tide started turning.

H-Sphere has a great product just the pricing is confusing the use of the product is confusing they have done a horrible job of marketing it IMHO.

As of Cpanel 9 with the new Cluster feature Cpanel is taking a giant step towards becoming a single platform control panel, keep an eye out over the coming year when Cpanel pro comes out and clustering is expanded and improved on.

Main differences are features and ease of use.

Cpanel is very feature rich and is very easy for a novice to use. H-Sphere may be a little more solid and stable but has a steep learning curve and lacks many of the bells and whistles that users want.
    Last edited by The3bl; 03-13-2004 at 07:34 AM.

Originally posted by Techark
    I have to disagree with those rankings.

A simple google search on each keyword shows a much different picture.

cpanel 552,000 records.
    H-Sphere 89,800 records
    Plesk 255,000 records
    Ensim 331,000 records

While that is not conclusive evidence it does show something.
    That and 80% of the host here use Cpanel.

I would say that CPanel and Ensim have the largest segment of the general hosting market.

From my own expereince the servers I sell and the data centers I have talked to 90% of the servers being placed use Cpanel, it was Ensim until about 2 years ago when the tide started turning.

H-Sphere has a great product just the pricing is confusing the use of the product is confusing they have done a horrible job of marketing it IMHO.

As of Cpanel 9 with the new Cluster feature Cpanel is taking a giant step towards becoming a single platform control panel, keep an eye out over the coming year when Cpanel pro comes out and clustering is expanded and improved on.

Main differences are features and ease of use.

Cpanel is very feature rich and is very easy for a novice to use. H-Sphere may be a little more solid and stable but has a steep learning curve and lacks many of the bells and whistles that users want.
    Your rankings look right to me.

I have heard from a number of data centers thet Plesk is the most widely used panel and I always disagree.

Hsphere is a great product but is nowhere near #1, at least not yet.

Is there a more definitive report, study or numbers regarding the amount of users by software that you know of? I just wonder if one has been done and if so, where can I get a copy of it?

Hi,

Thanks for all the quick replies. I tried going to cpanel to check out thier demo but it is unavailabel. Mabe I didn't explain myself very well in my original post. I'm not asking who is the number one cpanel I'm asking what the difference is between them as far as features etc. What i seem to have gathered so far is one is linux based while the other covers both platforms. Does WHM have a merchant gateweay? Do I need to purchase a SSL certificate if i go with a WHM host? Does WHM offer automated signup etc.

TIA
    Gabe

HSphere is a unique control panel, and the only one of it's kind at this point (fully integrated billing, ticket system, control panel, multi-platform) As someone mentioned earlier though.. They have done a HORRIBLE job marketing and selling their product and this problem continues today. Their pricing structure is prohibitive and one of the reasons few hosts adopt it.. it has a VERY high investment cost, which it's features IMHO don't justify. It's not THE BEST at all it does.. it's just the only one to put everything together in one easy-to-use package.

If HSphere were to make it's pricing more competitive, i'm POSITIVE many more hosts would adopt it, but I doubt that will happen.

Hi,

Thanks for all the quick replies. I tried going to cpanel to check out thier demo but it is unavailabel. Mabe I didn't explain myself very well in my original post. I'm not asking who is the number one cpanel I'm asking what the difference is between them as far as features etc. What i seem to have gathered so far is one is linux based while the other covers both platforms. Does WHM have a merchant gateweay? Do I need to purchase a SSL certificate if i go with a WHM host? Does WHM offer automated signup etc.

TIA
    Gabe
    WHM has no billing/billing automation integreted, of any kind, you must go and purchase an extra script to do that, and support/ticket center also.

As for the rankings, you can't say an opinion is wrong.

A quick note however, that ranking what control panel is best, on how many people use it/how many results google pull up, simply isn't right.

I really can't see how H-Sphere licensing is confusing to be honest: $3.50-$4.50 per license, one time fee. That's it, it really doesn't need any more explanation.

To skip back to a larger share of the market, making it the best CP, I really have to urge you to look at that statement a little closer.

The big thing about CPanel's usage, is that fact that places like EV1 (formerly RackShack) are selling servers at $100(+/-) with CPanel installed, and then 1000's of users are calling themselves a web host (those thousands of users are then giving out reseller plans for peanuts, and thus the cycle continues). That's the point I'm making, just because something is cheap, and therefore MASSIVELY overused, does not make it the number one. Far from it actually, it makes it mundane, over-used and under-supported.

CPanel is at best, solid, whereas at least SWsoft and pSoft back their product, and bring out regular, GENUINE fixes and patches.

You are of course welcome to your opinion on the matter, and i'd simply tell anyone that wants to compare the two, to take a look at the two demo's. Once you've picked your jaw from the ground upon exit of pSoft's website, I need say no more.

One last note on EV1, the above wasn't a knock on people that use them, as I know a few who do utilize their services are genuine companies with true talent, however, their business model last year was seemingly to target 1000's of kids and make a quick buck off them. Good for EV1, bad for the hosting sector.

Simon
    Last edited by IHSL; 03-13-2004 at 03:29 PM.

Originally posted by IHSL
    That's the point I'm making, just because something is cheap, and therefore MASSIVELY overused, does not make it the number one. Far from it actually, it makes it mundane, over-used and under-supported.
    Hello,

IHSL, your quoted statement above nearly sums it up.

Problem is that there are just too many geeks (I used to be one of them until few years back) in this industry who think of hosting as installing linux and doing other hard-core technically intensive jobs.

Unfortunately, however (for geeks), hosting is not just that. It is just another business which needs to be taken care of seriously. Empath (living in the shoes of your customer) is THE most important aspect of a business which almost every one forgets about. The moment you wear this empathy-hat you will see H-Sphere will justify, its cost and complexity. It is the only CP out there that comes anywhere close to CRM and it is continuously improving and evolving.

Simply because it does not have the kind of following that other "control panels" have does not mean that it is not #1.

Just my 0.02

Thank you.

With regards,
    Last edited by mediopia; 03-13-2004 at 04:48 PM.
    Mediopia Technologies, Inc - Call Toll Free (24 x 7): 1-877-807-HOST
    Windows and Linux Reseller and Shared Web Hosting Plans
    SiteStudio, ASP, ASP.net, PHP, CGI, Coldfusion MX 6.1, Frontpage, MS SQL Server, MySQL, PgSQL ...
    http://www.mediopia.biz/

I dont think there's any doubt more hosts use Cpanel vs Hsphere, but I dont think that really addresses the posters original question....

Cpanel is popular for a reason. It's a great control panel - "relatively" stable and user friendly..

However, hsphere really offers the complete solution. Billing, plan creation and management, help desk, etc...

The only limitation of hsphere is that you're really locked into doing things the way the control panel "wants you to". This is to be expected in any fully integrated system and, in my opinion, is a fair trade-off with respect to time savings, less complexity (vs dealing with multiple solutions) and business management...

Hope this helps....

If HSphere were to make it's pricing more competitive, i'm POSITIVE many more hosts would adopt it, but I doubt that will happen.

I just dont think this is an accurate statement. Hsphere has a 1 time license cost. Each lisence equates to 1 account. There's also an initial setup fee (if one isnt able to load it themselves).

When we made a control panel decision, our first choice based on functionality was hsphere.

Once we sat down and hammered out the pricing of all the various options, hsphere (and it wasnt even close) had the lowest total cost of ownership (with the functionality we required, when compared to other CP's + modules or 3rd party componants we would've required). Now this assumes a host calculates TCO over a period of 12 months or more.

I think thats the problem most people have when they price out these things, they only look at the TCO for the first few months, rather then a reasonable period, like 12, 18 or 24 months.

Hey if you go by google ranks "Helm" would win..

http://googlefight.com/cgi-bin/compa...re=1&langue=us

H-SPhere RULES!!!

My 2 Cents..

Hi,

TIA
    Gabe

To try and sum it up.

Cpanel: Has ease of use, the most add on software. Many billing systems and help desk systems are written to take advantage of the control panel due to it's popularity.
    It does not lock you into any one solution.
    It also has things like Fantastico script installer that can be added on to it allowing your customers to install scripts with one click of the mouse. But you have to buy the extra software for extra $$.

H-Sphere: All in one solution billing help desk control panel everything you should need to run a hosting company, platform independent. But lacks the bells and add ons that cpanel offers and if you do not like the billing and help desk intergrated you are stuck with the features included with it.

In the end either CP will work and help you run your business which you prefer is personal taste. I could give a hundred reasons to go with one or the other, but in the end it is which suits your needs the best.

That is why there is Ford and Chevy, it is called choice.

The CP wars have been going on here for years do a search you will find several long threads with each side putting forth it's compelling reason why the CP they use is better than the other guys but in the end they all do the job.

Originally posted by Vortech
    Hey if you go by google ranks "Helm" would win..

http://googlefight.com/cgi-bin/compa...re=1&langue=us

H-SPhere RULES!!!

My 2 Cents..
    Helm only wins because it is a generic term and includes many clelbs names etc.

If you limit it Helm+Windows the ranking changes to 10,400

Yea I know I was only playing..

We have a couple dozen cpanel servers. After the latest cpanel upgrade screw up we are moving to H-Sphere.

I'm tired of clients loosing email because some other service is down. I'm tired of forced upgrades that we were not even asked if we wanted, but get then get without choice that break things. I'm tired of a product this always only 70% done and then they are off on some other tangent.

I think Cpanel is the Cobalt of the year. Don't put out an update that is worst than the problem.

H-Sphere has some problems just like any managment system but when you sit down and look at the cost of multple cpanel licenses, modernbill and a decent help desk H-Sphere is also more cost effective. I also like the fact that if I need to upgrade something it's not like you have to start over. I want a better database server I just add a new database server or upgrade the one I have, I don't have to move anything else just the database. Try that with cpanel/
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

Originally posted by Techark
    To try and sum it up.

Cpanel: Has ease of use, the most add on software. Many billing systems and help desk systems are written to take advantage of the control panel due to it's popularity.
    It does not lock you into any one solution.
    It also has things like Fantastico script installer that can be added on to it allowing your customers to install scripts with one click of the mouse. But you have to buy the extra software for extra $$.

H-Sphere: All in one solution billing help desk control panel everything you should need to run a hosting company, platform independent. But lacks the bells and add ons that cpanel offers and if you do not like the billing and help desk intergrated you are stuck with the features included with it.

In the end either CP will work and help you run your business which you prefer is personal taste. I could give a hundred reasons to go with one or the other, but in the end it is which suits your needs the best.

That is why there is Ford and Chevy, it is called choice.

The CP wars have been going on here for years do a search you will find several long threads with each side putting forth it's compelling reason why the CP they use is better than the other guys but in the end they all do the job.
    Very well put.

Simon