How Should I deal unethical host?

I had two accounts with Web Hosting Network. Last year I attempted to open a third but they were so screwed up after several days I told them I couldn't wait any longer because I had to re-up with the old host for that website. I was well within the 30day "100% satisfaction, money back guarantee period".

Recently, they billed my credit card for a one-year plan for the account they never hosted. I sent them emails, opened a ticket, literally did everything I could to contact them but heard nothing.

Finally, I contacted my credit card company. I contested the charges (yes, Web Hosting Network billed me for another year on the same account).

Finally I got hold of Gary Portoloa on the phone. He's a real hot head, he said my card was credited but visa said there was no record of such.

I asked him about this and he got pissed off and shut down the two websites they were hosting! I'd just paid them for one-quarter of hosting and wasn't contesting those charges but he decided to retaliate.

My brother in law, who's an attorney, says I can press criminal charges as well as sue for damages in civil court. BTW, he's chomping at the bit to handle the civil complaint.

For sure this Portola character is a psycho-freak but I've got a life and I'm not so sure he's worth the powder to blow him to hell.

Obviously I've contacted my credit card company and brought them up to speed.

Any thoughts?

Hi. I am in no way trying to support Web Hosting Network but Slugger you only seem to have two posts (not that I have much more) but both seem to be critising Web Hosting Network. Their seem to be many users like this on WHT who just sign up to slander and bash a host for all its worth and after their first couple of posts they get bored and never come back.

I am not accussing you of anything but I was wondering if you could provide your domain you have with them?
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

Just let it go, If you can get your money back through your bank. there are many people like him out there, its just impossbile to send attornies after all.

Unless you have a LOT of free time, I don't believe you can sue him for a million or even half million, so why waste your time for somebody being an idiot?

Slugger: Do what you feel is right. Looks like you get a free attorney being a family thing. Go ahead an sue the guy. It's about time that when somebody wants to sue they follow through with it. Many hosts think they can get away with everything. It's about time some learn their lesson and get out of the business.
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

the-host-axe: Since when does post count really mean anything anyways? Is it really that much of a reliability and reputation statement to have a higher amount of posts? I'm pretty darn certain that there are some people on this forum with 500 posts that you wouldn't go into war with. I'm sure there are some people who register just to rip on other hosts, but the fact that you can't have more then 1 account on webhostingtalk (you can't register a new account to bash a host and have a real account that nobody can connect to it), makes it pretty useless to join and bash a host unless it's based on factual accounts.

Slugger: If you have a free attorney, then I urge you to pursue the charges. What have you got to lose? You can't let people walk all over you, and I would find it refreshing if a host finally got a nail in the coffin for dodgy business practices. Good luck!

Re: How Should I deal unethical host?

Hi B. D. Howes IV, DDS (owner of webdentistry.net). Now, why don't you tell the whole story

Part 1 - Billing of your Terminated Account
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Your account that was billed was, after you emailed us, promptly refunded, if you care, I will post the emails between you and Bernie (billing). The reason it was billed was because the transaction was failed, but the account was in "suspend" mode, not terminated mode, so our billing system seen this, and rebilled it

To top that off, you called today (3/12/04), (this whole issue pertained to the last week), the credit was posted 3/11/04, after billing got your 3 emails from the previous day. You were told that billing in fact refunded you $93.xx to your credit card, you hung up right after I told you, how could I be a hot head afterwards, when I simply asking your account details, then told you billing refunded the fees, you said "oh ok, thanks, have a nice day"

Then 3-12-04, when your account was modified, there was another billing to your card, we again, caught that, and issued a prompt VOID (meaning we caught it before it closed out) and deleted the invoice from the system since it was causing so many problems with your account, emailed you stating it was voided, you again replied "thank you"

So basically, Billing (Bernie) handled your account in a very timely manner after the error was found, the credit was issued promptly, and the suspended account was turned into a terminated account

Part 2 - Terminating of your Account webdentistry.net
    ----------------------------------------------------
    As for your other account, your exact words were "Please terminate this account after the end of this payment quarter" (I can again, post the emails if you want)

So, we looked into billing, and found, you were never billed for your quarterly fees, your last billing was November 11th, next billing was February 11th, which was missed. We went ahead and billing you for only 1 month, last month to yesterday's hosting fees, and went ahead and terminated your account, as you originally requested, because you wanted your account terminated, we found no reason to re-bill you future months hosting. We also did not want the risk of a chargeback from you to get free hosting for XXX months if we ended up billing you for a full quarter of hosting. We notified you that, if you wanted your account to remain active, your more then welcome to prepay future months

We are not a free hosting company, we are not going to host your website free of charge.

BTW its Peltola, not Portoloa

[mod edit: This isn't a grammer and spelling thread]
    Last edited by Coach; 03-13-2004 at 11:48 AM.

Seems you have some billing issues though, and can see how a client would be confused. I'm almost confused just reading some parts of your explanation :-)

If a client asks you to end hosting at the end of a quarter you don't forget to cancel the account and still bill them for a month of service they never requested.

Not taking sides here, but it seems one side didn't fully tell the complete story and the other has odd billing practices. If I had to place fault I'd put more on the host than anyone else.\

[mod edit: This isn't a grammer thread]
    Last edited by Coach; 03-13-2004 at 11:47 AM.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Sure, we had some billing issues, but they were quickly dealt with. I didnt say we were not to partly blame.

Its not like this a "long standing issue". We were made aware of the billing problem, problem fixed, funds were quickly refunded.

Customer fails to tell you the entire facts of the case.
    Last edited by Coach; 03-13-2004 at 11:48 AM.

Firstly, you need to try every way possible to get your money back from them. That is, email them, phone them, etc. If after several attempts you get no luck, take all emails and all communication with this host up to your bank and do a chargeback. Your bank is usually on your side.

Cleaned up the thread. This isn't a thread on grammar and spelling.

May I also remind everyone.

We take the "Be Polite" rule very seriously! We do not tolerate any rudeness. Any member who is intentionally unpleasant or disruptive may be banned without warning.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/misc.p...on=forum-rules
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.

Re: How Should I deal unethical host?

Originally posted by Slugger
    I had two accounts with Web Hosting Network. Last year I attempted to open a third but they were so screwed up after several days I told them I couldn't wait any longer because I had to re-up with the old host for that website. I was well within the 30day "100% satisfaction, money back guarantee period".

Recently, they billed my credit card for a one-year plan for the account they never hosted. I sent them emails, opened a ticket, literally did everything I could to contact them but heard nothing.

Finally, I contacted my credit card company. I contested the charges (yes, Web Hosting Network billed me for another year on the same account).

Finally I got hold of Gary Portoloa on the phone. He's a real hot head, he said my card was credited but visa said there was no record of such.

I asked him about this and he got pissed off and shut down the two websites they were hosting! I'd just paid them for one-quarter of hosting and wasn't contesting those charges but he decided to retaliate.

My brother in law, who's an attorney, says I can press criminal charges as well as sue for damages in civil court. BTW, he's chomping at the bit to handle the civil complaint.

For sure this Portola character is a psycho-freak but I've got a life and I'm not so sure he's worth the powder to blow him to hell.

Obviously I've contacted my credit card company and brought them up to speed.

Any thoughts?
    Thoughts? IMO, yes. Here are a few links that can give you some information. It seems other clients have similar complaints, and you will need to sort through threads:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...der=descending
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...der=descending
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

The threads specified deals with customers violating our Terms of Service agreement, and then crying about not getting refunds afterwards, they have nothing to do with the situation of the current poster

The credit card company is handling this as well as an additional charge since this thread started. Yeah Gary's little billing problems keep going even after they have been brought to his attention. Does that sound like someone on top of the situation? If so, what kind of situation is he on top of?

At least Gary admitted here that this is all about his mistake. Funny though, when I spoke with Visa they said no credit had been posted to my account.

So what's so wrong with contesting unauthorized charges to my credit card? Nothing! So why would he attempt to defame me by implying I didn't pay my bills?

In fact, there was never any free service provided and none was ever demanded. Perhaps Gary would like to explain #WHN20040215-3866-14338!

Yes, that document of February 15 shows I was paid up until May. So why did Gary hijack my website. Retaliation...he knows he's wrong and like a little boy, he's going to take his ball rather than play by the rules.

People who make honest mistakes charging someone's credit card usually hop right on it....so why didn't Gary? The more he quibbles, the more it looks like I caught him intentionally posting unauthorized charges. Is this a mistake or fraud discovered? I'll leave that to the investigators.

But I did not receive or expect service for free. That is a smoke screen clearly intended to mask the truth. He gave the same story to his help desk. Again, is that something someone does when they make an honest mistake?

My invoice of February 15 (which I did not contest) clearly states "*This is an invoice for prepayment of services*" and "For the following Service(s): WHN Professional Quarterly."

It also says, "Payment date 20040215" and "Authorization: SUCCEEDED."

Let’see pre-payment for one quarter shut down after less than a month. Does that sound like anyone expecting free services?

I’ll leave this to the hired guns to deal with.

Slugger

Oh, one last question to the legitimate hosts. Would you "credit back" (again Visa can't confirm this) two-thirds of a quarterly contract and put up a splash page which implies your customer didn't pay their bills?

If someone who had prepaid for one quarter notified you one month into the contract that they weren't going to reup with you at the end of the quarter, would you respond by shutting them down, immediately and without notice?

Would you refuse to give them acccess to remove their files?

In fact, in this case, Gary not only hijacked my page, which he now redirects to his own home page but has taken information which is covered under the Health Insurance Portablity and Protection Act of 1996. Depending upon what he has done and what he does, he may be in violation of federal statute to protect patient's confidential medical records.

I can't help but think most hosts would have handled this differently.

Slugger

Personally, this looks to be a personal problem between you, Gary, and your credit card company...not something anyone here on WHT can help you with...soooooooo....take it to email or PM's...

Originally posted by Slugger
    Oh, one last question to the legitimate hosts. Would you "credit back" (again Visa can't confirm this) two-thirds of a quarterly contract and put up a splash page which implies your customer didn't pay their bills?

If someone who had prepaid for one quarter notified you one month into the contract that they weren't going to reup with you at the end of the quarter, would you respond by shutting them down, immediately and without notice?

Would you refuse to give them acccess to remove their files?

I can't help but think most hosts would have handled this differently.

Slugger
    Slugger:
    I will answer how we would handle our client.
    One can cancel at anytime and we would pro-rate their refund based on the amount of months "unused".
    Credits/refunds are handled the same as a sale. The client will SEE their credit in about 48-72 hours. When/if we issue credits, the client gets a copy of the transaction immediately via email.
    For any/all cancellations we "remind" them to copy/backup their site before whatever date it is that they will be removed from the server. We have a suspension page that is put up on the client site IF they are "late" paying their hosting fees. It simply states to contact customer service, AND the client is automatically emailed once every 3 days to contact us to re-activate their account.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999