Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

phpbb or vbulletin?

I am curious to know which one is better. phpbb is open source, while vbulletin is 85 dollars.

Why would anyone want to pay money, there has to be an advantage..

what is it?

Well, I am with vb mainly because of the support. Whenever I need it, I just ask, they reply. The features (especially in vb3) are excellent and there are always people out there providing hacks.

I am not saying phpbb2 is bad or anything, never used it. But I am happy with what I pay for so there is no reason for me to leave.

I asked this a while back.
    Its worth the money if you need it.

If its just for a small site then I guess you can use phpBB.

But its really a Q' of code.
    vbulletin has better code, faster, saves you bandwith = saves you money.

Also the basic install of vbulletin is far better then a phpBB one in my opinion.

They both however are skinable, and there are lots of mods/hacks for both of them, so feat' can be added as needed.

If its a personal site, use phpBB and get/buy a nice skin and maybe add some mod's.

If its for a more of a pro' site, or if you have a lot of traffic I'd go with vbulletin.

85$ is really not THAT much.

Best,
    Eugene.
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

Personally I tried PHPBB and it doesn't have the functionality I wanted. I am used to vBulletin and I think it is great. If you plan on having a big forum go ahead and purchause vBulletin.
    Don't look for a way out.

what about Invision Board, I have Fantastico on my 'server' and I can install phpBB, Invision Board, and some other one, but for some reason I just liked IB, should I convert to phpBB?

If its working dont fix it.
    I dont see why you would want to move to phpBB if your happy with IPB.

Diffrent needs for diffrent people... there is no best forum there is the forum thats best for you.

Best,
    Eugene.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.

Re: phpbb or vbulletin?

Originally posted by Bllatt
    I am curious to know which one is better. phpbb is open source, while vbulletin is 85 dollars.

Why would anyone want to pay money, there has to be an advantage..

what is it?
    Definitely vBulletin.
    It's got loads of more features, and as mentioned above, it's got an excellent support team.

It honestly is hard to compare phpBB, Invision, etc to vBulletin. They are on completely different levels.
    Administrator & Webmaster:
    MegaGames
    MegaGames Forum

i like invision board best.
    Adventures in Parenting.org - Are you a parent? Listen to the free podcast and sign up for the newsletter!

www.phpbbhacks.com - visit it.

feat' can be added to all of those forums, they all have sites like that. the vB one is for members only however...

any one of those forums can be made into something great, skinned hacked and modded.

I guess vB is more easy to customize/use for most people.

Take RDX Media as an example.
    Nothing wrong with that, sometimes phpBB can give you a hard time.

vB is the easy way out I guess.

Best,
    Eugene.

vB (But I like IPB better)

I am using phpbb2 so I guess I will stick with it.. I've seen some very large forums run on phpbb so i'll stick with that.

I guess I'm just cheap

Another which BBS software is better thread...
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

vBulletin; I wouldn't touch phpBB with a 200 ft long stick. If you want free forum, go with IPB. The IPB 2.0 they're releasing looks as good as (if not better than) vBulletin and its free

I personally like VBulletin.

.. there are a lot of threads about this topic....
    search it ..
    Off Topic Forum - An Off Topic discussion Forum.

Billions and Billions of them... And this topic comes up about once a month.

Originally posted by DT-Spirit
    .. there are a lot of threads about this topic....
    search it ..
    73's, Kim

its just marketing, once a month, an advertisement. I think "they" should consider advertising on the moon.
    Member Since 2003.

phpBB2. It scales really well.

Proof: http://www.go-gaia.com/forum/

38 million posts, 380k registered users, 8000 users online at peak times.
    Gone.

Originally posted by phision.com
    phpBB2. It scales really well.

Proof: http://www.go-gaia.com/forum/

38 million posts, 380k registered users, 8000 users online at peak times.
    Yep. Larger than any vBulletin forum, and way larger than any IPB forum.

You can find largest forums here: http://www.big-boards.com/
    largest phpBB is 4th
    largest vBulletin is 15th
    largest IPB is only 139th

VBULLETIN!!!!!!!!

HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!

The Dude

I personally prefer the admin system of phpBB over both VB and IBF. Its simple yet quite powerful.

However, I can see why VB is the industry standard and favourite amongst many people.
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

I would say vBulletin. Its worth the price, over phpBB.

However, if you go by features, there are a couple of board softwares which I believe are better than vB, in some areas. At least one of them is far ahead for its uniqueness.

I'm beginning to wonder about vB...

I've been trying to install it on my server for the last couple days and the stupid box is tossing more errors then Carter has bills...
    73's, Kim

Originally posted by KimmiKat
    I'm beginning to wonder about vB...

I've been trying to install it on my server for the last couple days and the stupid box is tossing more errors then Carter has bills...
    It shouldn't take any longer than 5 minutes to setup & install vB....so your concerns should be about your box, not the forum software
    Administrator & Webmaster:
    MegaGames
    MegaGames Forum

I'm currently use Invision, but would use phpBB without any qualms. Don't like having to pay for vB, especially when it's features are matched by the open source community.

Well, I think I have a weird box. I tried getting help on vB's support forum, but after a couple of responses, no one there has an answer or a clue.

I tried using vB's script to x-fer a db from an IPB mboard to the vB and it doesn't work with Plesk 7.

Originally posted by Vile
    It shouldn't take any longer than 5 minutes to setup & install vB....so your concerns should be about your box, not the forum software
    73's, Kim

After the admin on my host tweaked something on the box, the board finally came to life, including the import script. There's a lot of goodies in vB. I have a feeling since Plesk 7 is so new, there's some issues between it and some scripts like vB, phpBB, etc. I was originally using IPB, but discontinuing it once the new forum is customized.

Originally posted by binaris
    I'm currently use Invision, but would use phpBB without any qualms. Don't like having to pay for vB, especially when it's features are matched by the open source community.
    73's, Kim

You had problems with it on Plesk 7? Plesk doesn't install or compile it's own custom PHP... you use the standard packages for your distro, so the culprit would probably be some updated PHP RPMs or something in php.ini.

Have had no problems so far with Plesk 7 that I haven't had fixed by SWsoft in the same day (except for full Fedora compatibility).

phpBB also has a lot of goodies... IPB is a bit harder to find addons for though, probably because it's gone even more commercial. I have no problems with vB itself, though... just the price is a bit high for something with several readily available alternatives that cost nothing.

For $85 I could buy another 1GB of RAM to stick in a server... lol.

Originally posted by Alfarin
    vBulletin; I wouldn't touch phpBB with a 200 ft long stick. If you want free forum, go with IPB. The IPB 2.0 they're releasing looks as good as (if not better than) vBulletin and its free
    Why do you say this ?

VBULLETIN!

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Didn't you already say that earlier?

Originally posted by Bllatt
    Why do you say this ?
    Though customizable; phpBB doesn't ship with sufficient features and you must spend hours and hours "hacking" and "tweaking" it before it does the right job. Additionally, fellow vB and IPB's latest development; I think once IPB 2 is released, it'll have all the feature that vB have (and some more that it doesn't have). Looking forward for my IPB 2.0

Rgds,
    Alf

If you want serious scalability, you're gonna have to wait for me to release my forum 3 queries to generate the homepage, as little as 1 query for other pages... everything is cached.
    Gone.

'tis true people, so far what I saw of phisions work is nothing short of amazing. when released is going to be most effective forum ever probably.

phpBB All the way!

I always know Vbulletin to be one of the big ones. I believe it has more options than PHP_BB. But then again I have no admin. experience...still...I hear Vbulletin is better. I like invision power board, lol. :-)

i like invision too. buy an invision license
    Adventures in Parenting.org - Are you a parent? Listen to the free podcast and sign up for the newsletter!

Each forum has it's high and low points.

Honestly phpBB is good software for the money. If you're not ready to commit the $85 or $160 green ones for something that you might not get anything out of, phpBB and IPB are both great.

vB is great if you have the money and want solid software with good support. However, IMHO I don't like vB quite as much because I think it is almost too much of a good thing in terms of features.

I've been experimenting with a new forum software, Simple Machines, and I'm quite impressed. Right now, it's in the public beta stages, but the software has been great and it's free with the option to upgrade to a $49 license that provides updates and supports for you. (Obviously, someone knowing what they were doing wouldn't need it.) The software is tremendous in speed, and my friends all know I have a lot of praise for it.

However, to answer the original question, it depends upon the situation. It will be different for each person.

For large, professional sites, vBulletin easily. The price is worth it alone for support, and the features are always cutting edge. Anything lacking can be hackd (as with other scripts).

For free solutions, I prefer Invision to phpBB
    "Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did."
    - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast