View Poll Results: Will microsoft be overthrown?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Microsoft will one day be beaten!

40 47.06%
  • No, Microsoft will rule forever!

45 52.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Microsoft will be overthrown

This sort of thread may have been started in the past, but I will post anyway

This is basically what I think will happen to Windows / Microsoft.

1. A complex and well written virus will one day be written and completely stop the world. Like, it will spread so quickly and be such a 'good' virus that Microsoft wont be able to stop it and it will cause world wide chaos.

2. I think that Linux is starting to gain market share and once it becomes as friendly as Windows people will start to realise that there are better alternatives to windows. Once Windows loses market share Microsoft will slowly dwindle away.

What do you guys think? I know that Microsoft wont last forever simply because Windows relies only on the fact that it has

1. Lots of software for it
    2. It is user friendly
    3. Microsoft use bad business ethics to crush its competitors.

Once software companies start making their programs Linux compatible, and linux becomes more friendly Microsoft wont be able to do jack

Of course, it is possible that Mac OS does this or any other OS.

Just my 2 cents, let us see what you think please do the poll I created!
    Last edited by Hostex Australia; 03-13-2004 at 01:15 AM.

I have to say that yes, I think one day microsoft will lose its huge market share.

I doubt however that they will go out of work anytime soon... even if linux will boost up.

So "yes" but not because of the reasons you mentioned... its a big Q'.

maybe you want to read up on it a bit more I dont know.

Viruses are written all the time... there have been already a few of those world wide viruses your talking about. the world didnt stop spinning.

I doubt if you actually used linux yet.
    Linux is already there... or almost there.

Its already as user friendly as windows... (try SuSE or a distro like that)

For software there are always free alterntive programs, that most of the time are just as good. and there is always wine.

However you do have a point there, software not being written for an OS is its biggest problem.

Thats one of the reasons IBM's OS/2 failed.

Some company's are already starting porting programs to linux.

And there are a few (big) games with a linux version (that actually runs faster!) already.

Its a big Q'.... nobody can really answer it, there is much more to it then that.

we can only guess and hope.

Best,
    Eugene.
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

I dont think microsoft will be overthrown unless companies learn to make software of all kinds equally compatible on all operating systems.

I doubt if you actually used linux yet.
    Incorrect, I first used Linux about a year ago, and I now use it on all my computers. I still have 1 Windows box mainly for school (I have Visual Basic as an elective) I do believe you can run VB on linux with WINE, but its still good to have one Windows box.

My server runs Slackware, I use Mandrake and Red Hat on my desktops. So yes, I know Linux is here and I hope it kicks microsofts butt one day

Its already as user friendly as windows...
    Although Linux has improved greatly in the user friendly side of things, I wouldn't go as far as saying it is as user friendly as windows (for average joe i mean)

When I say complex virus I mean one that is so darn good a patch can't be made and (say) 99% of Windows boxes are effected, that would cause chaos!

I voted forever! btw ... "forever" for me is my lifetime.
    shridhar
    http://pochampally.com
    The wonder world of pochampally handloom ikat!

Originally posted by websitedesk
    why'd you go and do that for...lol

Although Linux has improved greatly in the user friendly side of things, I wouldn't go as far as saying it is as user friendly as windows (for average joe i mean)
    Well see that depands on the distro.
    If your using slac'/gentoo/LFS I see your point!

HOWEVER, SuSE 9 for example is just as easy to install and use as windows.

If "average joe" is a monkey it may need a bit more work. But even "dumb windows users" can do it without a problem.

Linux being not user friendly enought is not a valid point anymore. not in my book.

Best,
    Eugene.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.

Originally posted by websterworld
    Well see that depands on the distro.
    If your using slac'/gentoo/LFS I see your point!

HOWEVER, SuSE 9 for example is just as easy to install and use as windows.

If "average joe" is a monkey it may need a bit more work. But even "dumb windows users" can do it without a problem.

Linux being not user friendly enought is not a valid point anymore. not in my book.

Best,
    Eugene.
    Would you say Mandrake is as user-friendly as Windows? I want to install linux on my cousins computer, and he is a computer newbie, which distro is the easiest and most friendly for somebody new to Linux? Would Mandrake be okay to install on his PC?

Originally posted by Pricyber
    I dont think microsoft will be overthrown unless companies learn to make software of all kinds equally compatible on all operating systems.
    Agreed. I don't see this happening...
    Administrator & Webmaster:
    MegaGames
    MegaGames Forum

I'd really suggest using SuSE 9.
    I'm sorry, I just can't get over it...

My GRANDMA is happy using it, I build her a pc for her birthday so she could talk to her friends and play cards and read things... grandma stuff.

And to cut down on costs, I put SuSE 9 on it.

Just a small note, I had to teach her how to use a mouse for over an hour!

And yet she is happy with it.

Mandrake is a great distro.
    It depands on what your cousins needs are, but it should do as well.

The best way:

1) Make him a dual-boot with a distro you decide. (mandrake is good)
    2) setup the distro with apt-get/synaptic and gaim and open office. (and thunderbird)

Make sure that everything he used on windows there is a copy for linux.

Explain how "the root thingy works".
    (never login as root unless you have to... when pop-up asks for root password type it in. to login as root use "su" from the terminal)

and hang around for an hour.

Best,
    Eugene.

Linux will need years of refinement, and an overall change in strategy to even be a viable option(I am talking about to the point where my grandmother can use it). Theres 10 things for everything, most distro's won't stick with one thing. Either choose KDE or Gnome, not both its a waste of time and resources to have and support both on top of which both are poor. The central problem with Linux is everyone thinks there program or solution is best, and everyone tries to incorporate into the release of a distro, the end result is a bunch of clutter.

No company that makes a Linux distro has the Money as Microsoft. They can't advertise or anything. On top of which getting PC makers to drum up Linux over Microsoft for home use would be suicide.

In my eyes the only true company in the entire world that could destroy Microsoft's market share within 5 years is Apple. Apple is a hardware company, but if they sacrificed there hardware line and made OSX for the x86 it would destroy Windows. OSX is years ahead of Linux, regardless of the distro. I am not a big fan of Steve Jobs, but you have to admit OSX coming to x86 would be awesome.

People complain about windows viruses all the time, its not the OS its the user. Every OS is vulnerable to viruses and holes, even Linux(get a clue). Windows has the most market share so it gets the most viruses and exploits, don't give the argument "but its open source so its much more secure because everyone can review it". Even with how many sets of eyes exploits come out all the time for it. Take the time and search the security sites and mailing lists, you may be surprised.

I voted yes.

I'm assuming Microsoft will get in a bit of trouble for funding SCO's lawsuits.

Also, all people will eventually understand that Microsoft Windows is going nowhere. With each release, more bugs are present in the operating system. No wonder a quite a few major businesses are migrating to *nix based operating systems.

I'd give it about 10 years for Microsoft to go backrupt and quickly perish off the face of the Earth
    John Kata

Microsoft will never 'slowly' die away, they fight and they fight very hard to eliminate the competition in any way possible. They are sending free copies of Windows and Office XP to the government, military, and select organizations to maintain a monopoly and use of their products.
    Adventures in Parenting.org - Are you a parent? Listen to the free podcast and sign up for the newsletter!

if you know what your doing why can't you just log in as root? I know you can do damage but wont you have less problems as a normal user doesn't have access to everyting?

I am downloading SuSe now, hope it all works out!

Anyway lets get back on topic!

Re: Microsoft will be overthrown

Originally posted by Bub Host
    This sort of thread may have been started in the past, but I will post anyway

This is basically what I think will happen to Windows / Microsoft.

1. A complex and well written virus will one day be written and completely stop the world. Like, it will spread so quickly and be such a 'good' virus that Microsoft wont be able to stop it and it will cause world wide chaos.

2. I think that Linux is starting to gain market share and once it becomes as friendly as Windows people will start to realise that there are better alternatives to windows. Once Windows loses market share Microsoft will slowly dwindle away.

What do you guys think? I know that Microsoft wont last forever simply because Windows relies only on the fact that it has

1. Lots of software for it
    2. It is user friendly
    3. Microsoft use bad business ethics to crush its competitors.

Once software companies start making their programs Linux compatible, and linux becomes more friendly Microsoft wont be able to do jack

Of course, it is possible that Mac OS does this or any other OS.

Just my 2 cents, let us see what you think please do the poll I created!
    I think Apple is going to increasingly do better.

It currently offers a 1.6 GHZ G5, for example. Many potential customers will believe that their 1.7 GHZ Celeron kicks the G5's rear end, but int he long run, the G5 is MUCH MUCH more powerful. It's just to a lot of "newbies", it seems to be based all on the GHZ (speed), rather than the actual design\architecture of the processor.

Apple is going to be introducing a 3 GHZ PowerPC g5 processor "before the end of next summer" [Steve Jobs, Apple CEO]

It's speeds are increasing dirastically and Apple has a big chance of making it up there.

- My 2 cents

this may seem like a stupid question, but I always download i386 ISO's, I hope these are not for 386 machines, as I now found out that P4 are actually i686! What ISO's should I download for SuSe? He has a P3 machine! Are i386 okay for Pentium 1, 2, 3 and 4? I can't see i686 on the SuSe download page, I think Mandrake is the only one I see using i686....im confused

Yes your downloading the right one.

SEE MY GUIDE:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=228160

But where are you downloading SuSE from?

If its from the SuSE site then its just a live-cd... or the FTP install.

Best,
    Eugene.

Apple is going to be introducing a 3 GHZ PowerPC g5 processor

Microsoft

Yes your downloading the right one.

SEE MY GUIDE:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=228160

But where are you downloading SuSE from?

If its from the SuSE site then its just a live-cd... or the FTP install.

Best,
    Eugene.
    I am downloading from the suse website, and then I am going to create the CDs

Okay, I have gone to the download page, selected an FTP mirror, gone into the i386 folder.....and now it has an i586 folder and an i686 folder.... which one do I choose? I want it to be compatible with both P3 and P4.....arghhh...

SUSE LINUX for i386 can be installed free of charge directly from the FTP server. Before you start, please read the installation guideline!
    This means that your going to do an FTP install, hope you didn't miss that.

If you know how, and can do it, and have time thats great.

Its not however the 5install CD's.
    Hope you understand this, because it can be overlooked...

If you have no idea what I'm talking about read the guide on SuSE's website. (and/or my guide)

Best,
    Eugene.

Okay, I have gone to the download page, selected an FTP mirror, gone into the i386 folder.....and now it has an i586 folder and an i686 folder.... which one do I choose? I want it to be compatible with both P3 and P4.....arghhh...
    argh...!.....those folder only contain .rpms! Where do I get the ISO images for SuSe...I can't find them anywhere! Can dombody please post a full link to a folder on an FTP server that contains each .ISO for each disk...please

Thanks!

This means that your going to do an FTP install, hope you didn't miss that.

If you know how, and can do it, and have time thats great.

Its not however the 5install CD's.
    Hope you understand this, because it can be overlooked...

If you have no idea what I'm talking about read the guide on SuSE's website. (and/or my guide)

Best,
    Eugene.
    where the heck are the ISO's then...I don't want to do an FTP install :`(

You have to download the boot ISO. They do not distribute an ISO with all the files. You download/burn the boot ISO, then boot up, and select an FTP mirror to get the rest of the files.
    John Kata

where the heck are the ISO's then...I don't want to do an FTP install :`(
    READ MY GUIDE.

One thing that ticks me off is that people say that linux is hard to use when they dont take a min' to read.

Think about how many problems and time people could save if they would actually read the guides/how-tos and instructions.

NOBODY is going to hold your hand and do it for you. even windows comes with an install manual.

Best,
    Eugene.

Originally posted by inFused
    You have to download the boot ISO. They do not distribute an ISO with all the files. You download/burn the boot ISO, then boot up, and select an FTP mirror to get the rest of the files.
    it isn't possible for me to do that, I need the ISO's with ALL the files. Blow this, i'm not going to bother with SuSe, they can't even get the download bit right!

What is another distro that is easy to install / use that is similar to SuSe?

it isn't possible for me to do that, I need the ISO's with ALL the files. Blow this, i'm not going to bother with SuSe, they can't even get the download bit right!

What is another distro that is easy to install / use that is similar to SuSe?

Microsoft is going to stick around for some time.

If you want the SuSE CD's, buy them

Why can't you do an FTP install?

Edit: I just realized, this is a bit

Let's go back to talking about whether or not Microsoft will be overthrown
    Last edited by inFused; 03-13-2004 at 02:44 AM.
    John Kata

inFused he can't even read.

hehe

Bub Host -> http://search.ebay.com/search/search...query=suse+9.0

Originally posted by Pricyber
    microsoft doesnt even make softwares that are compatible on all of its os'es....

One day, I'll sit down, and write an OS so powerful that no one will be able to refuse to use it. Then, and only then, will Microsoft be overthrown...

I hope not

Why can't you do an FTP install?
    1. He doesnt have the internet.
    2. I don't like FTP installs.
    3. I want the ISO's for future use.
    4. Did I say he doesn't have the internet ?

inFused he can't even read.
    Dam, you worked me out! I new my text to speech convertor wouldn't last forever!

websterworld, I admit I didn't read your guide, I then posted all those things, and only then did I see your *second* post telling me to read your guide. I'm sorry for annoying you (as it seems you are very annoyed)

I have read your guide and it seems I need to get the ISO's via BitTorrent, is this what needs to be done (please dont yell at me )

Anyway lets get back on topic

SuSe isnt availabe on BitToerrent (i think), only the live CD is there. What should I get instead of Suse? Needs to be grandma compatiible!

I'm sorry, I dont know if linux has a good text to speech convertor like the one you are using.

Just use windows. good day.

I'm sorry, I dont know if linux has a good text to speech convertor like the one you are using.

Just use windows. good day.
    wats ur problem?

1. I don't use windows
    2. I run Mandrake on my computers, so I wont be using windows
    3. If you actually read my posts this is not for me but for my cousin
    4. I can read
    5. Your being rude
    6. If you haven't got anything nice to say don't say nuttin
    7. I wanted to know if there is another distro that is nice and easy for my newbie cousin to use.
    8. for somebody with your amount of posts you seem very childish with your posts
    9. when you said I can't read I took it as humor, but I think you have now taken it to the next lelev, I dont wish to argue with you

good day to you smart*ss

I always download i386 ISO's, I hope these are not for 386 machines, as I now found out that P4 are actually i686! What ISO's should I download for SuSe? He has a P3 machine! Are i386 okay for Pentium 1, 2, 3 and 4?
    Intel Pentium 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. all use the x86/i386 architecture and are compatible. Even Windows XP uses the folder /i386/ to put system files in. Don't you see Windows XP running on P4 machines?
    Adventures in Parenting.org - Are you a parent? Listen to the free podcast and sign up for the newsletter!

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why'd you go and do that for...lol
    ? ?
    shridhar

quote:

? ?
    I was only joking, because I am a linux user I want people to vote that microsoft WILL be overthrown

oh..lovely.

cheers
    shridhar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast