What kind of spec is needed on a dedicated box to run a few cs servers

Hey All,
    I been thinking to get a dedicated box to run a few cs servers on it. After looking about on this forum, i've seen alot of posts about needing dual processors, is this always the case, or is it onyl when you have alot of players.

What would I need to run say four 12-16 man servers....
    What kind of spec?

Any recommendations for dedicated boxes, I need them to be based in UK.

Many Thanks

Edmund

What would I need to run say four 12-16 man servers....
    What kind of spec?
    How many servers exactly?

Map changes are a real hog. I recommend dual processors and plenty of ram!
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

A single processor is suitable for a max of 32 players and again this is from presonal experience. Changing maps cause high loads.

at the moment im thinking 4 servers

RAM when renting servers is not a problem, but dual processors seem to bump up the price to around 200, considering a good 14man server goes for approx. 50 it seems not worthwhile since I will just breakeven.

However I have seem single processor boxes go for 100 - 150
    Is it really that important?

I've heard many ppl run 2-4 servers on a single processor box without experiencing lag........... is this not true?

Gaming servers whore CPU its simple. If you want good performance, get dual. If you want average then go single.

1 server running gameservers wont make you much profit anyway, dont expect to do much better than "break even".
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

creating servers on the box is not much of a issue.

It is the number of players playing on the box, you may have 4 servers each having 8 players.

Yes, ram also play an issue.

Slow if you need to have Cpanel or some other control panel to run it all. If your skilled enough to manage it all via SSH and slim down the OS and kernel its more then powerfull enough. Back in 2002 this would have been considered a 'semi-fast' server and CS was out at that time and being hosted on servers just like this.

Do any of you guys even run game servers? Half your replies are just funny.....

CS graphic intensive? huh? The game is 5 years old.. You could play it on a 8mb video card...

If you are using the machine to rent gameservers i would say go with a Dual CPU for extra cushion but you should be able to run 4 12 man CS servers on a single CPU 2.6 HT or something along those lines. RAM is very important around level change so go with at least 1gb of good DDR. (ECC if you can swing it)

what x-gaming said is correct, that is what i run 2.6 with 1gb ddr. works fine i have about 6 12 player servers. But my datacenter lacks so its all useless to me ezzi

hahah Thank you nycxzero. I won't comment on the ezzi remark though... :X

hmmmm this seems confusing, some saying it will work with a single and some saying it wont work................

U actually run SIX servers on one box, didnt know I could run that much!!!

Been checking out alot of sites, came along
    professionalservers co uk (cant do URLS)
    This guy said to me he hosts only 2 servers on one box, I take it this is overkill???

Ok apart from PC spec, how much bandwidth per month would I need???

On a side note, how would you actually configure a box with 6 different ips, would they have to come with renting the box, or would they be the same ip but seperated through the port....

Some of the confusion is half the posters on this topic don't have a clue.. I don't claim to be an expert but I do set up and run gameservers on a daily basis and it does pay the rent

As I said before you can most certaintly run game servers on a single CPU machine but for best results a Dual setup is recommended.. Reason being during a mapchange if you get a few servers doing it at the same time it will spike up the CPU. A dual processor will compensate for this where a single has no where to go...

If you are renting a machine with multiple IP's they should already be set up for you. Depending on the OS there are different ways to do it..

Again depending on gametype the bandwidth usage would vary. CS should be in the area of 6-8kb per player.

how many servers would you say I would be able to run on a box running dual processor then. Probably be running 12-14 men servers.

Been chatting about this in irc and people have told me that they run 4 20men servers with no probs and fine reg. Is this true?

how much upload would I need a month?

Spike up the CPU, wat does this actually do, crash the server, slow down? lag?

What the actual differences in operating systems, linux, windows..... windows seem to be alot more expensive.
    How hard is linux to set up cs on, since im more of a windows man......
    Last edited by edmundli; 03-13-2004 at 06:19 AM.

This is more of an issue on how well you would like it to run. A single CPU machine and more that one CS server on that box = high ping times and lag as a map changes. If thats fine with you then run a single CPU machine.

However if you are looking to run more than one quality server get the dual.

If you look around the forums you are going to find the "my friend runs 9 CS servers on a 500mhz machine" posts, these people have no idea.

Depending on the specs of the box in question.. One CS server running on a P4 2.4 will not run any better or worse then one CS server running on a Dual 2.8.

The only reason duals are preffered is because you can fit more games on the machine. And you can run more then one game on a single cpu without issue. We have a few dozen single CPU boxes running multiple gameservers for the games that do not run on Dual machines (Ghost Recon) No problems at all...

The only time you get into trouble is when you overload the machine... that happens to any cpu configuration..

My reply was based on what he asked. More than one CS server on a box.

And you are correct, however I wasnt talking about 1 game or any other game type.

I was thinking ahead to his next question

Just another personal story here. Set up a CS server on linux. The server had a max player count of 16 and it was full most of the time, with 0 lag spikes. Pings were great, teens to mid seventies for most, and it was all run on a PIII 500 with 192MB RAM. The box was also running a clan web site/forum forum. Anyways, we got awesome performance out of that cute little PC
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

edmundli, if you want to host four 12-16 servers, depending on the game, I'd say go with the dual processors, and get at least 2GB of RAM.

can you PM me i will let you know the exactly amount and exactly system you need.

and no i not rent dedicated servers

ps. the only that is tracking you the right way is X-gaming but as he say he will not tell you as is what pays his bills
    Last edited by portos24; 03-13-2004 at 09:21 PM.

What you did not make clear was are you looking to host servers for sale or are these for your own use.

If you are looking to host servers then you need to be looking at good hardware, on top of this you need good hosting and bandwidth.

Dual Xeons 2.4 or 2.8, 2GB ram or around that.

If this is for personal use then you would only need to be looking at a single CPU box.

P4 2.4 - 2.8, 1GB Ram.

Depending on game, plugins etc you should have no problems on these specs, we have around 50+ servers at present all around these specs.

If you are goign for personal use then rent from a good company, I have seen to many resellers come and go within a few weeks over the 2 years I have been supplying game servers.

Schmeg007:- P3's rock when it comes to CS (HLDS) it was written to run on these CPU's and it still runs well on them.

strongbow, hold on let me see if I am getting what you are saying.

you are recommending DUAL XEONS for hosting servers!? that is super overkill, I run 4 off p4 2.4 with NO (NO lag) on any mapchanges, and there have been points with all 4 drawing their full 12 player limit, server has 1gbyte ram, running on gentoo with no extras.

and if you run 50 servers on one box, then i think dual xeons are not enough

I would say to run about 4-5 servers get 1gB ram (necessary) and aim for min p4 2.4, that should do you just fine.

Originally posted by strongbow
    What you did not make clear was are you looking to host servers for sale or are these for your own use.

If you are looking to host servers then you need to be looking at good hardware, on top of this you need good hosting and bandwidth.

Dual Xeons 2.4 or 2.8, 2GB ram or around that.

If this is for personal use then you would only need to be looking at a single CPU box.

P4 2.4 - 2.8, 1GB Ram.
    Why the hell does it matter if you're using the servers for personal or business use?

I think you're trying to say, "Depending on how well you want your game servers to run, you should get..."

Originally posted by phaeton
    you are recommending DUAL XEONS for hosting servers!? that is super overkill, I run 4 off p4 2.4 with NO (NO lag) on any mapchanges, and there have been points with all 4 drawing their full 12 player limit, server has 1gbyte ram, running on gentoo with no extras.
    You cannot say it's overkill, let alone super overkill, without knowing how many servers he's running at what configuration with what plugins. Everything depends on that.

Rahil you don't have a clue man..

Since when is using a dual xeon for game servers super overkill?

Ok.........

IP's anybody?

I would like to see a Single CPU machine running more than one 20 player public server without Lag (with people actually in both servers).

I would also like to play on the 500Mhz box that doesnt lag.

Shortly after you show me these things I would also like to see a unicorn and a pot of gold.

* I will get the truth!

OK, OK. Hey guys, stop debating....

I can ask the guys at AT Federation what hardware they deploy. They've got their servers at CorporateColo -- the same place we have our servers.

I'll ask Jon at Corporate the next time I'm on the phone with him.

Looking to run 4 14men servers, 2 for my own use, and probably 2 to resell, not sure yet........

I'll be running the usual stuff, metamod, amx, adminmod

haha, I am even more confused now then b4 i posted

OK, my 2 cents:

I got a Dual Xeon 2.4 GZ with 2 GB ddr.

I run 8 private servers (all 12 players) and 5 public servers (12,16,16,17 and 25).

The 17 one is a Warcraft 3 MOD for cs which is very popular so it's kinda full or has ppl playing 24/7.

The wc3 server takes on avergae 13-15% of CPU alone !!! I have seen it go to 20% but not very often.

The other servers, specially the privates don't go over 7-8%.

The big 25 players pub, goes to about 10-11% CPU if full.

Also i've seen that they use quite a bit of memory, about 7%-10% is used by the WC3 server, about 6-7% by the big pub and around 2-5% by the others.

Im satisfied with the xeons and the fact that i have that extra CPU power, so I would not trade them for a single CPU.

I can still add probably another 2 pubs and maybe 2-3 privs without getting any lag whatsoever.

Hopefully this info helps you guys.

EDIT: forgot to add that when the private servers are empty, and some pubs they don't use more then 1.5-2.5 CPU.
    Last edited by BogdanM`; 03-14-2004 at 09:18 AM.

Originally posted by phaeton
    strongbow, hold on let me see if I am getting what you are saying.

and if you run 50 servers on one box, then i think dual xeons are not enough

I would say to run about 4-5 servers get 1gB ram (necessary) and aim for min p4 2.4, that should do you just fine.

Where did I say we run 50 servers per box ???? read it again.

we have around 50+ servers at present all around these specs

Our Dual Xeons run 6-10 accounts depends on Size and Game really.

We use P4 machines for dedicated servers and these run 2-4 servers again depends on size and game.

Originally posted by Rahil
    Why the hell does it matter if you're using the servers for personal or business use?

If he was planning on setting up as a games host he would be better to invest in Xeons from the start.

If it was personal use and was was not looking to try and make money off the server then the P4 would be better as these are cheaper and can be rented from most games hosts now.

P4 = 2-4 Servers
    Xeon = 4-10 Servers

Based on avarage server being around 14 players and allowing for the smooth running of the games. with a good Linux install and good server management you may get a few more servers on there.

AMD 2000+
    512 ram

holds you easy without problems the 4 CS game servers you want to run without any kind of lag. (even few more just try it and balance)

If they go na be heavy used all day arround then look for 1gb or more of memory.

if you get a p4 2.6 with 1gb memory you can run easy 10 CS game servers.

Beware i make conclusions on CS game not others.

Lmao, 10 CS servers on a single P4-2.6. This thread is going no where.

Originally posted by portos24

if you get a p4 2.6 with 1gb memory you can run easy 10 CS game servers.
    You could run more than that...... just don't play on em !!!!

What you can run on them and what you can get players on to is two diffrent things...

If you can run 10 10 player servers on a P4 2.6 and there bo NO lag when they are full then I have a job for you.

Also CS uses less ram than other games servers, if you want a fast server then you want a CPU with 1Mb Cache thats what makes the real diffrance in my experiance.

I've run CS perfectly fine with 16 players on a 450mhz PII w/256mb RAM.... You should easily be able to get 4 games on a dual Xeon. I have no experience with running more than one on a system, but from my experience with single CPU systems, etc. that's my guess. Probably could get anywhere from 4-8 on a dual Xeon actually, wouldn't be surprised if you could get 3-4 on a single P4...
    Last edited by KarlZimmer; 03-14-2004 at 09:30 PM.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Anybody here actually run a CS server in the last 8 months?

Gone are the days of running a 20 player server on a 450Mhz box.
    If you look around in the gaming forums you will find most people recommend at least a 1.2 Gig machine.

Im running 60-70 player slots on Dual 2400+ machines with a gig of ram.

So roughly 3 or 4 CS servers per machine.

This are real world servers that are full most of the day.

Each server when full takes from 15-25% of the CPU.

More slots could be stuffed onto the machine but my goal is lag free gaming.

One more thing to keep in mind is that running 2 10 player servers is not the same as running one 20 player server.

This becomes more and obvious when you get past the 26 player server mark.

are we talking about CS 1.6? cuz i get lag with my 20 player cs 1.6 server and thats on a server with P4 2.4 ghz and 512 ddr ram

Originally posted by pstation
    are we talking about CS 1.6? cuz i get lag with my 20 player cs 1.6 server and thats on a server with P4 2.4 ghz and 512 ddr ram
    There could be a number of reasons why you are getting lag. Most likely it is network related as that machine should run a 20 player CS no problem. We are still talking about a 5 year old game here that was designed to run on a P3...