Revenge on Postmaster time, appraise me please.......

Hey guys, everytime someone has ask for an appraisal I've always given them a shity price this is probably due to this idea I have that most domain names are worthless and over rated. I mean If you buy a buissness for $300'000 you expect to be able to make $300'000 (your money back) in about 15-20 years. But with a domain name like vintage.com which has an asking price of $125,000 now ask yourself do you really expect to make that sort of money from the domain in 10 years? The answer is no. Some domain names however with the right marketing can start making you money but most domain names should be priced realistically. Many people can be fooled into beleving they have a chance of making money off domain names but this is all an illusion and only a hand few of lucky people actually make a penny or 2, you should only invest in something which will make returns!!! and if your buying domains as an investment you are better off putting your money in the bank and you will have interest payed. But if your buying domains because they are very meaningfull to you and want to make a personal site then you are the true winner.

I have registered FishNChips.biz how much do you think it can be sold at an auction? and EXPLAIN WHY.

I should let you know, that the only reason I registered the domain is because its worth alot more to me then most people because my family is in the fish and chip shop buissness over in the UK... But please tell me how much you would appraise it for and bare in mind that fishnchips .COM, .NET, .ORG, .INFO, .CC, .CO.UK and .US are all TAKEN and I registered it today because I found it was deleted and a previous owner let it go do you think it was some sort of server mistake? Or did I get lucky?
    Last edited by Postmaster; 03-12-2004 at 06:49 PM.

Also bare in mind that there is a fish and chip shop on every corner in the UK and 10s of thousands around the world.

and also bare in mind fisn and chips is also known and spelt as fish n chips.....

But what local chippys has web sites?

www.fishandchips.info which redirects to www.olleys.info

I'm sure many others have them but there not easy to find because most fish and chip shop doamain are registered so they can sell for profit...

mmmmm, fish n chips
    Damn, sometimes I miss living in Seattle
    Sorry, got a bit sidetracked there.
    Most domains won't mean jack to anyone but the ones that purchased them (Unless you luck out and get a microsoft.blah or some other huge corporation.blah and sucker them into paying big $$$ for it )
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

well, even if you got microsoft.blah or otherbigcorp.blah, the company could just take it from you because it's their trademark so its not even worth trying to buy something like that and trying to 'sucker them' into paying money for it, they could take it from you easily.

Re: Revenge on Postmaster time, appraise me please.......

$0, poor extension and difficult spelling

Yes big companys have the right to take the domains off you as they and the courts rightfully see themselfs as the owners of the domain.... However if you register a domain which could mean other things like amazon or apple or orange then you could try sell it to them...

Originally posted by Postmaster
    Yes big companys have the right to take the domains off you as they and the courts rightfully see themselfs as the owners of the domain.... However if you register a domain which could mean other things like amazon or apple or orange then you could try sell it to them...
    Actually, no they don't. If that was the case then Lindows and more would be forced to hand over those said domains, siumpl. It's their responsibility to register the domain, and if they fail to do so, then they prove clear lack of interest IN said domain. There's tons of domains that are available like that, or owned by private corporation, so there IS the possibility of making money off of those, but that's the ONLY way to make any real money off of a domain.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

oh right

okay, so your point about vintage.com say in 12yrs time surely you would of thought of a way to develop it and make your money back in profits ?? not forgetting that it is a long time and in 12yrs these kind of names would be very rare ... depending on how many hits it gets i think ebay could have a use for it .. but like i said its very dependant on if it recieves hits/unique.
    Ash.

Well... I like it. I'm british and I adore fish and chips it wouldn't make a very professional website, but there's nothing much professional about the fish and chips storefront image!!! Us brits just like to throw it down our throats! So why the hell not?

Develop something for your parent's business, and I'd suggest maybe even play on it a little, get a community going and some pages of traditions with the great british meal... hehehe. Could be brilliant!

$100? Why not