Why my computer can't keep time?

I thought timekeeping was about the most basic thing a computer can do. Apparently mine doesn't know how. For the past three days my Win XP box has been unable to keep accurate time for more than 5-10 minutes. I synched it at 10AM, it showed the right time, 4 minutes later it said 11:30AM. Sometimes it seems to just "run fast" as well.

Does anyone know what makes this happen?
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

not even sure micro$oft know why half of the things happen, i have noticed my clock slwo down a few minutes sometimes but put it down to the battery running out

Change your BIOS battery. It is likely that it is flat.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

That's unusual. I haven't turned off this system for more than half a minute in months, but the board and battery are only a year old. Might try replacing the batt, thanks.

maybe it started out being a dodgy battery

Are you set up to syncronize your clock with a network time server? Are your time zone settings correct?

The time is set correctly whenever I synch, but then minutes to a few hours later the time'll be wrong again (in hours and minutes).

I woke up at 9:30 this morning but my clock said 11:15.

I have the same problem, still dont know what it is.

Dan, when you say "sync" do you mean you that you syncronize with a time server, or that you manually set the time through Windows?

When I synchronize with a time server by clicking the update now button in the time control panel. That works correctly.

I too have the same issue.
    Get it at work!
    LT in the Midday, 10a-3p
    Click here

We should all convert to Linux.

I aready use linux sometimes and have the same problem.

I had this problem on a Windows system a couple years back, and it turned out that a video game I played (Stronghold), used the system clock to give you a different greeting when you started the game, i.e. Merry Christmas, Happy Halloween, etc, and it messed up the clock.

So, possibly it's a software issue, especially it you have something that's using the system clock a lot?

This did all start when I installed IPSentry (a network resource uptime monitor)... perhaps I'll try uinstalling it.

All my problems with time were fixed when I went into the bios and reset the hardware clock.

If your hardware clock is off, then windows will get off as it checks the hardware clock occasionally and sets itself to it.

Aaron, my clock was off, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately the reboot brought up another recurring problem I have with this board (Asus A7N8X Deluxe that everyone raves about... an amazing board for features and overclockability otherwise)... it decided not to power my USB keyboard or mouse.

I wonder what genius wrote the "Keyboard error or keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue." error.

Searched my junk box and got a USB to PS2 adapter out again to fix things up.

My Browser automatically keeps my time right while i have it open,i kinda like that option!!

The Dude