Thread: the trust thing

the trust thing

How and who can you trust in this industry for being honest, when, for example, hostcheck have a company like xilo.net high in their ranking?

(xilo.net is a host from hell - if that is your sort of thing..)

Just use your common sense.

Host directories are paid by hosts and most directories do not check every "review" so hosts are able to write reviews themselfs.

So answer me a question: Should you trust reviews in most host dirs?

The best way to evaluate a host is to surf their forums for a while and see how they communicate and interact. See how much people complain about downtime or rave about uptime and then join up and ask questions of the current members. Ask how long they've been with the host and how they've been treated and to briefly describe the service they have received.

Can't go wrong then, in my opinion of course.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Nexdog's method is very good. I also find that WHT is quite helpful too.

Beware especially of sites that post a top 10 or something like that. I have yet to find a top 10 list that is clean (honest).

WHT, Searching and Interaction with existing customers are a good way to find about a host. And as a tip be little doubtful about hosts that are too cheap to be true or those unlimited ones..

well top10 are mostly correct.. they are top10 of "Which hosts pays how much?"..so they are correct..right?

Still, I believe there must be some true that exists..
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

IMO....

The market has become saturated, and degraded. Ongoing problem.
    A better way (possibly for someone looking for hosting) is to check with personal friends or relatives and see whom they host with. Someone that you can and do trust. Of course I would still recommend doing your research, as we've all stated before one host thats right for one person, will not be the right one for the next client, etc.
    As far as directories, I think some are useful but if you are strictly looking at a top10 list or whatever, those are paid slots and unfortunately ALOT you will see listed in the various directories have very "poor" reputations. This is where your "research" should start if you are curious about a top10, etc. Its very mis-leading!
    I wouldnt advise relying on WHT as the sole indicator for choosing either!
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

I'm with Martie on this one. Also, sometimes (not always) you can do a Google search on a company's name and come up with newsgroups, web sites, forums, etc. with honest customer testimonies. This was the case formerly with companies like FeaturePrice, when they started accumulating a large number of complaints. (Lack of complaints/feedback doesn't necessarily mean everything is peachy however.)

If you don't have any friends/collegues who can recommend a host, maybe ask a potential host for references you can contact? It's not a common thing, but if your web site is an important investment, it's not that weird either.
    JC, www.webii.net
    Premium Hosting Services Since 1996
    Custom Development- www.webxess.net

Originally posted by NexDog
    The best way to evaluate a host is to surf their forums for a while and see how they communicate and interact. See how much people complain about downtime or rave about uptime and then join up and ask questions of the current members. Ask how long they've been with the host and how they've been treated and to briefly describe the service they have received.

Can't go wrong then, in my opinion of course.

This is really a good way to evaluate a host if they have forums, but as I have heard a few times before some hosts delete threads/posts of people who complain about the service. So as usual, keep your eyes open and don't trust just a single source of information.

Search WHT, google and definately forums they have and make a well learned decision.
    Maker of World's BEST Browser & Web site development software.
    Shared / Reseller / Dedicated *Managed* Web hosting on Linux / Windows with 99.5% Uptime Guarantee with SLA & 90 days moneyback guarantee.
    Contact -> AIM: str1997 | ICQ: 303026849

Re: the trust thing

Originally posted by phoenix_aa
    How and who can you trust in this industry for being honest, when, for example, hostcheck have a company like xilo.net high in their ranking?
    Well, Xilo's uptime is good, much better than average in addition to having a fairly fast connection and servers and for many this is the only criteria, I was with them for half a year and was very happy with the uptime (100% actually) and speed, it's by far the best hosting service that I have tried in that respect.

But it is the billing/technical support that sucked, apart from not responding to a couple of technical tickets, they once charged a cc twice and actually did not respond to a ticket where I notified them that I could not log onto billing and pay for the service forcing me to go to another hosting provider when I faced a service turnoff, there where other billing issues as well, and all that inside 6 months.

The thing is that just 10 day's prior to me having to quit them I gave xilo a glowing review on one of the "consumer review sites" , and I cannot modify that review. for some reason. You will have to remember that since hosting is a service, reviews are only really valid for the time they are written and conversly the expectations of the reviewer regarding the level of service may be different than yours so milage may vary anyway.