Post newbie dedicated server question..

Hi,

How does dedicated servers work?

I've been using the shared hosting plans only.. so I'm curious..

1. If the dedicated servers have control panels, are they just like the shared hosting with control panels?

2. Do you first signup, get IP addresses, and then put the IP addresses with ns1.yourhostname.com and etc with Network Solutions?

Does anyone know where to find a newbie guide for the dedicated server hosting with all the answers?

Thanks!

man oh man, i don't know where to start.
    1.)By Default servers don't have one you have to use SSH commands to control it or you can to buy one. cPanel, Plesk, Ensim, Directadmin, etc.....
    2.)no, you have to do a bit more work on your server with bind.

www.linuxguruz.com
    www.linuxdevcenter.com
    www.ndeepak.info
    www.tldp.org
    www.hostinglife.com
    www.webhostgear.com
    Linux systems are the most common OS you will come accross.
    Last edited by cloudrck; 03-11-2004 at 07:16 PM.

Don't go diving in at the deep end. It sounds to me that you should consider getting a VPS or VDS FIRST before getting your own Dedicated server. This way you can learn the functions of a dedicated server without the high costs.

Yes, When you get your server you will be given IP addresses (1+ depending on where you get your servers from and how much you are willing to pay/need) these you need to apply to your nameservers (dns1.yourdomain.com dns2.yourdomain.com etc) this can be done through the place where you register your domain name (I'm guessing in your case this is Network Solutions).

Do your research first. Try following the links that daejuanj provided you with.

I would suggest that you first take a look at HostingLife.com as there is written documentation on some of the questions that you just asked.

Good Luck.

Or you can get a realaible reseller plan for about $9.95 per month(Thats how i started)

Or yeah you could do that if you already haven't... I though thats what he meant by shared hosting plans (maybe I didn't think at the time huh?!)

Yeah, if you haven't tried a reseller plan, that is definately the way to go. If you don't know about servers then you don't need to right away with a reseller plan. Reselling is just like shared hosting plans (well they are seen as though you share you server with loads of other resellers and their clients) but you get alot more space and you can resell the space with permission and the ability to do so.

you could get a reseller plan for about $9.95 per month like daejuanj said (we started with a plan that would work out at approx $36 / month) This is where you start to learn the basics and then move onto bigger packages until you outgrow reselling. This is when you should consider a VPS or VDS or Dedicated server depending on your knowledge.

This is how most people start hosting.

Originally posted by ukdzine
    Or yeah you could do that if you already haven't... I though thats what he meant by shared hosting plans (maybe I didn't think at the time huh?!)

Yeah, if you haven't tried a reseller plan, that is definately the way to go. If you don't know about servers then you don't need to right away with a reseller plan. Reselling is just like shared hosting plans (well they are seen as though you share you server with loads of other resellers and their clients) but you get alot more space and you can resell the space with permission and the ability to do so.

you could get a reseller plan for about $9.95 per month like daejuanj said (we started with a plan that would work out at approx $36 / month) This is where you start to learn the basics and then move onto bigger packages until you outgrow reselling. This is when you should consider a VPS or VDS or Dedicated server depending on your knowledge.

Yep, having a reseller or VPS can really make a difference. No body can just jump straight in to a Dedicated Server, even if you used Linux/Unix at home, there's still lots of other stuff you need to learn. Plus people can tell how your experiance level is.

So just monitor the Dedicated Server threads, and if you see something you don't understand, just look it up some of the websites i mention.

Originally posted by ukdzine

You won't even come close to needed an entire dedicated when you start off. A reseller would be fine at first, you could learn cPanel/WHM, etc. Then once you are starting to outgrow your reseller account, you can move up to VPS (Virtual Private Server). This is a dedicated server, but two (2) people are sharing it. Then, once you outgrow that, you can get your own dedicated server for your company. Then, once you outgrow that, you can get another, and another. Then, when you outgrow those, you can buy/build your own datacenter. Everything is all this one big latter, you outgrow, and upgrade. But, you must start at the bottom.

Originally posted by cybexhost1
    Then once you are starting to outgrow your reseller account, you can move up to VPS (Virtual Private Server). This is a dedicated server, but two (2) people are sharing it.
    Just wanted to clarify that your example is not what a typical VPS is.

Rarely will a VPS have only two profiles. Depending on the company, you could see anywhere from 5 to 75 VPS's on one server. Their are obvious exceptions to this but it is a tad misleading to say that a VPS has only two people sharing.

Originally posted by Matt
    Just wanted to clarify that your example is not what a typical VPS is.

Rarely will a VPS have only two profiles. Depending on the company, you could see anywhere from 5 to 75 VPS's on one server. Their are obvious exceptions to this but it is a tad misleading to say that a VPS has only two people sharing.
    We don't offer VPS's, however I have seen 2 profile VPS's.

Originally posted by cybexhost1
    We don't offer VPS's, however I have seen 2 profile VPS's.
    Yes, you can have two, but you presented it as all VPS's only have two users. That is a rare occasion.