Hybrid View

Cool Where is the best place or places to retire in America?

Where is the best place or places to retire in America?
    Florida
    Texas
    California
    Arizona
    other?
    Interested in any opinions.
    Last edited by rak147; 03-11-2004 at 06:28 PM.

Depends on what's important to you. From the choices you give, it sounds like warm weather is at the top of the list. Some people, though, look for a place with a low cost of living and cheap homes/apartments; depending on how much money you have put away for retirement that may be important. Some people want to be near oceans, some want the convenience of a big city with good public transportation and many things in walking distance so they don't have to drive (I know of a few people who have moved to NYC to retire).

Some want to be near cultural attractions like museums, some want to be in the mountains, some want to be near plenty of golf courses, some want to be able to walk out the front door and go fishing.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

The Hamptons.. all the people living there are rich retiree's

Knoxville, TN, area (Knoxville, Maryville, Lenoir City, Tellico, etc.). Low cost of living, gorgeous scenery, lots of boating, fishing, golfing. Excellent health care, especially for seniors, great restaurants (nobody cooks here), four real seasons but no extremes -- it gets cold but not too cold, hot but not too hot -- plus all the cultural stuff.
    Crossville, TN, just down the road, is a small town that's highly rated as a retirement area.
    Places that are warm in the winter are unbearable (at least to me) in the summer.
    There's a places rated website for retirement areas where you can pick things that are important to you and it will give you a list of possible area.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

It depends what you want... A resort town would be good. Like Palm Springs, CA or Scottsdale, AZ.

The Hamptons are not all their cracked up to be. I live on the island (Long Island) and I am about 30-40 Min away from the Hamptons. (Their out east im in the center of Long Island)

Anyway, I go there with my friends every summer and its not a place to retire. Its a place to party. You need a lot of money to live out there. Hell, I live in the subburbs and my property taxes are about $13,000/Year, in the Hampton's I'd imagine it to be 15+

Key West.

Originally posted by Neo3Net
    The Hamptons are not all their cracked up to be. I live on the island (Long Island) and I am about 30-40 Min away from the Hamptons. (Their out east im in the center of Long Island)

Anyway, I go there with my friends every summer and its not a place to retire.
    Southampton? West Hampton? East Hampton? Bridgehampton? Quogue? Hampton Bays? There's a lot of difference between various places in the area referred to as "The Hamptons." It's not all just the nightlife and clubs that are packed in the summer with refugees from the City.

But personally if I were going to retire on Long Island I'd lean more towards either Montauk or somewhere quiet on the North Fork.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Most people in my area (NJ/PA/NY) retire in florida for winters, then live here during the summers

Please NO MORE Retiree's down here in florida! For real guys, I respect my elders except for their driving.
    Dont even get me going, arhg...I not even going to start on it. I dont want to be up all nite.
    Dave

According to Mercer Human Resource Consulting company that researches world cities and ranks the best quality of life towns in comparison to New York (http://www.mercerhr.com/pressrelease...DQOCAKMZSI4I2C) first American city on the chart is Honolulu (ranked 24), followed by San Francisco, New York, Boston and Portland down the chart of Top 50 world cities.

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Best thing to do is migrate north

Nova Scotia has it's fair share of retired folk, my personal landing preference (outside of home - Dublin, Ireland) would be Newfoundland.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

I'm going to the White Mountains in New Hamsphire when I retire.

San diego, california.

I know you said America, but man there's some really great places in Mexico that are completely Americanized and the cost of living there is HALF.

I did a LOT of research on Mexico retirement.
    I thank my Lord for all His wonderful blessings.

What about Northern California or Oregon ?

Heeeey, don't leave Canada out! Try Vancouver, BC. Or Jasper Alberta. Or Toronto Ontario (my favorite). Just think how far your American $$ will go here.

Damn, Neo3Net, do you really pay $13,000 a year in property taxes? Every year I bitch about the $5,000 bill I get...

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Originally posted by vito
    Try Vancouver, BC.
    I'm sure he won't regret it: http://www.mercerhr.com/pressrelease...DQOCAKMZSI4I2C
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

How about NW Washington state as a retirement area?

Money Magazine compiled results of the best places to live, to vacation, and to retire. They use 'solid financial footing' and 'good healthcare options', as the criteria to determine their choices.

Retire:
    money.cnn.com/best/bpretire/

Live:
    money.cnn.com/best/bplive/

Karen
    Life Success Coaching "Tell me your heart's desires and I'll teach you how to get them."

When people refer to the Hamptons they usually talk of South Hampton. Long Island is not the place to retire. The cost of living is way to high, and you can live like a king anywhere else for the same cost.

However, if you wanted to retire on Long Island, I would say that anywhere on the north shore is nice (Huntington, North Port) or even south shore (Islip)

Another nice area is out east between Riverhead and Patchauge. (Manorville)

Seems like people go where it is warm when they retire. Like they no longer want to put up with cold winters.

Me like Mexico alot at lease where I went. A while back I visited my Grandpa who lives in AZ, USA. We went to Mexico and I cant belive how great some places are (there are also some crummy places where you would rather die then live or they would kill you)

They are cheaper and you can make a good living just hussling, and trading. Though you have to know what you are doing.

Originally posted by hostpath.com
    I know you said America, but man there's some really great places in Mexico that are completely Americanized and the cost of living there is HALF.

I did a LOT of research on Mexico retirement.

Hobart Tasmania. Gods own country.

As a second choice just about anywhere except America, or where the Americans are running the country, or trying to run the country gee come to thing of it that doesn't leave a lot.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?