Most useful coding language

I currently know php, html, MySQL database interaction, CSS, etc. however i find myself often wanting to create scripts for windows, and server-side scripting is getting to be very illogical for this use. I was wondereing what you recommend as a programing language to learn to use? I have thought about java, C, etc. but i really don't know what the strong points of each one is or which one would be most logical for basic windows coding.

thanks

Well ASP was designed for Windows so it would make sense that it's the best choice for that OS.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

When you say "scripts for windows" do you mean just utility type of scripts to do things on the O/S? Like batch type files? My personal recommendation would be Perl. While it does not come with Windows it can be just as useful under Windows as under Unix.

If, however, I misunderstood what you meant and you want webserver side scripts, what is wrong with PHP?

My choice would be Python.

But if you want a full on programming language, try C# or VB.NET. Java is great for cross platform stuff, but you seem more concerned about Windows - can't beat .NET there.

I have thought about java, C, etc. but i really don't know what the strong points of each one is or which one would be most logical for basic windows coding.
    You have background of C and Java, means, you have knowledge of OOP also. Now you want to develop server-side scripts on windows, I recommend ASP.NET, having tastes of VB.NET and C# .
    "An army of sheep led by a lion would defeat an army of lions led by a sheep"

If you want a web scripting language, PHP is the best in my opinion for both Windows and UNIX/LINUX platforms. And if you want a complete general purpose programming language, I would say C++.

VB.NET is the best

i already know php, so i wasnt really looking for a server-side web script, i geuss i was more of looking for a general all purpose windows programming language. I have decided to test out C++ and see how far it gets me.

thanks for all the help.

Try Python... you'll never want to go back to anything else. There are ways to package python scripts as executables, but if you're only coding for your own system this isn't necessary. It has support for just about anything you'd want to do. It's syntax is beautifully designed. It's more "cross-platform" than Java. If you have any other requests python can probably do it.

-signed a Python zealot

Hi,

For windows based operation you can opt "C" as a programming language. Because you can easily do the system level programming.

Regards,

Bright