fraudulent orders

Today I have recieved 3 new orders for accounts. I have reason to suspect fraud of some kind, as the first order form had no last name,and an incorrect phone number format. Not a problem I think to myself, I can email the customer back and ask for a last name associcated with the credit card#.
    I do not hear a thing, but several hours later we get another order form. Nothing strange about this order, but the email addy was the same as the suspicous one.
    Both domains were .tv domain names they wanted registered.
    The credit card numbers were different, but the expirys were the same.
    Has anyone else ever, or lately experienced the same sort of situation? What to do? I have informed sales to suspend proccessing the accounts untill further review.
    JS-Hosting.com
    Affordable, Reliable, Secure
    [email protected]

If its obvious fraud, you don't process the order and you refund the payment. Simple.
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

http://www.maxmind.com/app/ccv2

I run all incoming orders from new clients through this, I also refuse free email services as a main point of contact.

Most of the time I can pick them out quite easily, when in doubt however you should always make a phone call and confirm that way, just be sure the area code matches the billing address for the credit card.
    Dynanet Network Services - 206-607-9075
    We Do Hosting - Established May 2001
    http://www.dynanet.ca/

That's a very good feature maxmind. I wish I had heard of it earlier.

Maxmind, thanks for sharing that, will come in handy.

Regards,
    Waylon

We also received a fraud order today, from a previous customer who has used the same email, with different names, credit cards. If we ever see anything shady, we always call them first before we setup the account.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

thanks Dynanet that is going to come in handy.
    Just an update, we called one of the phone numbers on the order form, no surprise they had no clue what we were talking about, or even what webhosting was.
    JS-Hosting.com
    Affordable, Reliable, Secure
    [email protected]

I received some funny looking orders this morning myself. I was e-mailed by another host who found several sites listed as "cardable" on a forum, so there are definitely people out there testing your site !

This is generally why I never recommend using automated signup methods, this last step of human checks will ensure low or no chargebacks to you. I have yet to have a chargeback against my merchant account in 3 years of using it.
    Dynanet Network Services - 206-607-9075
    We Do Hosting - Established May 2001
    http://www.dynanet.ca/

Originally posted by themicro
    I received some funny looking orders this morning myself. I was e-mailed by another host who found several sites listed as "cardable" on a forum, so there are definitely people out there testing your site !
    Same thing happened to us, it's very interesting to see people actually testing it.,
    http://www.baddabinghosting.com
    [email protected]
    MSN - [email protected]
    AIM - Badda Bing 0003

One thing we've always done when a signup looks fishy is to trace the IP. We make sure that the signup forms capture the IP of the computer being used to fill them out.

Billing City: Elba AL
    IP traces to: Indonesia

Its as simple as that. The paperwork hits the shredder, and we move on.
    Ryan Flowers
    hostrack.com
    Wherever you go, there you are.

We ALWAYS verify ALL orders by phone. This is the best way to verify accounts and if they ever dispute a charge it seems to help when talking to the credit card companies.

The maxmind.com link seems like a great resource and I think we'll start using that too.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Fraud is a common thing. Just move on..

I just do a few common checks, like IP traces and MaxMind, between the two you can usually weed out 90% of fraudulent orders.
    Peter M Dodge,
    President, Viridian Tower Electronics

(Formerly Creative Director of LiquidFire Network Solutions 2003-2007)

It is a must to screen your orders and verify them. It's not been a huge problem with us so far until today, 6 fraud orders in one day, and some were very clever ! There's a forum out there, I've lost the URL, but it list sites that are what they call "cardable" and are open target for fraud credit card orders for it's members. There were 3 or 4 web hosts listed on it today. Fortuneately someone caught it and contacted all of the sites to warn them that they were open prey.

I think alot hosts are used to see if a credit card is valid or not because they know we are smaller companies and probably don't have the time or the money to persue prosecution.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Fradulent orders are a part of e-business... It happens so often. There are instance when a genuine customer too will try a testing in submission before doing the real one.

Sounds crazy???? But it happens too once in a while.

-Devil