Multiple IPs RH9

I've been lookin on the net most of the morning about binding multiple IPs to a single NIC. I managed to find a few, but all outdated.

Anyone here point me in the general direction? web site? howto?

could use a little help on configuring APF to use these virtual interfaces as well. Do I need to create the config files, or what?

The way I've done it before is as follows (assuming you are adding an alias to eth0, if it is a different interface just change it in the relevant places):

Copy the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/eth0 file to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/eth0:1

Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/eth0:1 by changing DEVICE=eth0 to DEVICE=eth0:1 and setting the other parameters (ie IP address etc) as appropriate.

Type: ifup eth0:1

To add more aliases just use eth0:2, eth0:3 etc

The only thing to watch out for is I once found a few things in the original eth0 file that had to be removed in the alias otherwise it annoyed it - I can't remember a specific example but I think it was something hardware specific.

I can't help you with APF because I don't know what that is.

Thanks rebuke , starting to get things figured out. Still kinda new to the linux area (background has been networking).

Anyways. I added a route to these new IP's.

/sbin/route add -host $IP dev eth0:1

However, how do I make these routes perminent after a reboot? I'm guessing instead of the command, I need to add this to a config file... just dont know what one yet.

ps. I figured out the APF part from WHTIRC.

hmm... after I made the alias, I wanst able to contact the new IP untill after I placed a route in there. Perhaps I did something goofy?