Mass Emails - Customer Wants

I want to know how other hosting providers feel about this service. I have a customer who currently runs a legitimate business selling software to a target audience.

I've had no problems with them in the past, but they are asking if you can sending out mass emails to their target audience.

They've collected a large number of email addresses for their target audience (related to public school system) and have sent out their emails in the past through another provider.

The last time they sent out the emails they were contact (their old hosting provider) by spam cop suggesting that they had complaints.

They have 3 different options to opt out of their mailing list. Should I, and/or, can I legally host them and allow this? I know the spam laws have changed and I believe their actions are legal.

They've even contacted me about times and information with what they will be sending. Their mailing list goes out every 3 months.

ThePlanet/SM (where you appear to have your servers) does not allow UCE (which this is). It's not a matter of legality, it's a matter of AUP, and what you are asking would violate most ISP's AUP.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

You would put yourself and all your customers in jeapordy. Legal or not, opt in/out/over or not it doesn't matter. People will complain and you'll be in hot water. best not to mess with it.

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

The only way I could see how they could do this is if the the members of the mailing list specifically signed up for the newsletter or otherwise agreed to recieve the emailer. Otherwise it is UCE because they are receiving emails that they didn't ask or agree to recieve.

"They've collected a large number of email addresses for their target audience (related to public school system) "

This is the key, how where they collected?

Also I would never have the possibility of being blacklisted and affect all my customer base on the server.

Of course there are creative ways you can set them up to send them out. This is BULK mailing, you can probably tag a fee to it also.

Cheers
    Datums Internet Solutions, LLC
    Systems Engineering & Managed Hosting Services
    Complex Hosting Consultants

You mentioned 'opt out'. Opt-out = spam. Don't do it lest you get theplanet policy enforcement after you. Not worth it.
    Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002

Actually it may not be a bad idea to contact theplanet and completely discuss the matter with them. They may be able to clarify what they would expect from your customer to ensure that you are still with in the bounds of there aup and that you and your customer are still completely legal.

Why call ThePlanet? This is an incredibly obvious violation of their policy.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

If you have to ask, don't do it. It isn't worth risking your server, and thus your other customers, by doing this. There are commercial services designed for large mailings and this may be there best bet, if it is legal.
    Advanced Forum Hosting
    http://www.boardnation.com
    Easily build a community today!

Unless the mailing list is double-opt in (or confirmed opt-in), your customer's mailling list will likely be in violation of most providers AUPs. If they want to direct, targeted, unsolicited advertising, tell them to take up telemarketing or post cards
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

I appreciate the help.

Although I don't wish to lose a customer, I will be telling them of other services they may be willing to send out their mailing list.

One customer isn't worth losing everything.

Other options...

Here a few companies that do bulk emailing. This way they take the liability. They are more likely with the recent laws to send out only kosher messages. You may refer him if you think it would help.

www.isendit.net
    www.aid-biz.com
    www.doubleclick.com/us/
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -- Ben Franklin
    Twice Tied Laces