* GlobalServers VPS

I was looking at globalservers . com their VPS I, they seem like a good company and some variable views on their service/support.

My question however is about the limit they have on their domains and subdomains for the VPS I account. From my understanding VPS is just like a virtual machine where a special kernel is run as a process with guaranteed cpu/memory resources. Having root access to such a server, by their definition would be just like having root access to a linux box (right? or am I missing something). So what would stop me from modifying apache config files and DNS entries (or setting up DNS on separate server) to add more virtual hosts that their limited 12?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, root access should allow you to change the web server conf and also have your own dns server.

>>>So what would stop me from modifying apache config files and DNS entries (or setting up DNS on separate server) to add more virtual hosts that their limited 12?

I have not tried their VPS, but in our company case, if we limit clients number of domains, it is done in the control panel license. Since you do not have root access to the server at all for the VPS 1 package, I guess your rights will be limited by sth like a control panel
    bluebubble
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by bluebubble
    Since you do not have root access to the server at all for the VPS 1 package, I guess your rights will be limited by sth like a control panel
    Yes, you're right, I didnt notice that there is no root access for the first plan. I was just assuming that all VPS would give you that.

Other than that, I guess with root access, one can still add manual virtual hosts. that is if their clients do not require a control panel or something (which can be the case for many ppl running a local webhosting/design company).
      0 Not allowed!

When you pay for diskspace in a VPS, generally you're paying for diskspace, not all of which, can be used to sustain clients (VPS comsumes bandwidth).

I'm just wondering if you really need a VPS (it is true VPS gives you root).

Cheers
    Jeff
    www.idologic.com
    www.demologic.com
    A company committed to people serious about their websites - If you don't DO LOGIC - what do you do?Check Us Out
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by idologicJeff
    When you pay for diskspace in a VPS, generally you're paying for diskspace, not all of which, can be used to sustain clients (VPS comsumes bandwidth).
    Hi Jeff,

Did you mean VPS consumes space? rather than bandwidth.

And would that mean for example VPS account will be running say a full redhat installation or something (that is say a server has 10 VPS's on it, and each one will have a separate copy?). and hence taking up like 2GB of space?

Thanks,
    Sarhang
      0 Not allowed!

You are correct

Yes this is my first post

Yes I am affiliated with GlobalServers.

No Im not here to advertise.

I wanted to clarify with regards to the questions above as they are in regards to GlobalServers VPS service which I manage.

The VPS I does not include root so you would be unable to modify the Apache httpd.conf to add more vhosts than the control panel allows. This is the primary reason that the VPS I account does not have root access.

However, VPS I is truly a VPS account, not a shared hosting environment. It has its advantages:

* You can install apps (though without root privileges)
    * Your file system is isolated. You cannot ../ into someone elses site nor they yours.
    * You can restart Apache anytime you like and can run mod_perl
    * Many other reasons are listed on our site

With regards to disk space. Our unique VPS solution is very efficient in its usage of disk space. There is a bit of a difference with regards to the VPS I and our VPS II and III packages with regards to disk usage and quota. The majority of the system files do NOT count against the VPS I disk quota so the majority of the advertised disk space is yours to use. In VPS II and III that we offer this is different many of the system files DO count against your alloted quota, however this footprint is NOT nearly equivalent to that of a full Linux install. Files that are common to all installations will not count against your quota.
      0 Not allowed!

Nice to see globalservers members here.

With regards to VPS in general, when a company advertises minimum cpu and memory, how do they guarantee this.

I know programming that into the kernel isnt that complicated, but not that easy either. So I was wondering if the VPS kernel does support this feature even. That is, say for example a user starts using 98% of memory or cpu, now another users program wants to kick-in and they have a minimum cpu allowance of 150mhz, say for the sake of the argument that that is around 15% of total cpu. Now does the kernel allow for this allocation.

Well similar idea with nice i guess. so replace all cpu, with memory. If a users application is already in memroy, is that amound gonna be written back to the page file?

Thanks,
    Sarhang.
      0 Not allowed!

Kernel and memory are handled a little bit differently so I'll describe both with a bit of detail but not nitty gritty. Also, of not is that at this time we do not guarantee CPU or Memory, but if you are having a problem with resources we can move your VPS to a node that is not as loaded. This is not uusally the case though. Most people who call with resource issues have a VPS I and simply need to upgrade because there site is too large.

CPU is not done on a mhz level. Basically we issue each VPS cpu units. You can think of these in terms of stock in the total processor power. If your VPS has 1000 units it has twice as many shares as a VPS with 500 units and thus during busy CPU time would receive 2x the amount of CPU time. Generally there is always CPU available and so all sights have the ability to burst above this level. However a runaway process or two can change this and then the scheduling will apply.

While memory is added to the system in only one way, the linux kernel distributes it in many different ways. We have metrics on approximately 15 different ways that memory is allocated. Each VPS has a max for each of these different types of memory. Part of this is to control the allocation of too many processes that cannot be swapped so the situation you described above does not occur.

Essentially with our VPS system, while a user can burst to the maximum power of the CPU if it is available, they are generally only allowed to use a given amount of ram reserving the balance for the other users. If the memory requested is swappable and available there are some exceptions to this.

No Problem,
    Aaron.
      0 Not allowed!