Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Dedicated Server that allow IRC with 1TB

Hello i`m looking for a dedicated server that allow IRC i was user from serveroutsource.net but they get out of business and now i`m trying to find another data center that allow IRC with these configurations:

I want a server like this:

AMD or Intel p4
    AMD 2000 or intel p4 2ghz
    1024 mb ram
    80GB Hard Drive
    1000GB of transfer.
    FreeBSD 4.8-Release

I was paying for that same server $112 in serveroutsource.net.

waiting your for some data centers.

thanks a lot for your attention.

Take care.

I just forget i need a data center with 100Mbps of link.

I feel your pain about the whole serveroutsource.net thing.

I would try ev1servers
    servermatrix
    serverbeach
    theplanet

Some ideas.

thanks a lot i will take a look on these sites.

most places give you a 100mbps port.

Hello FatalSw1tch,

does servermatrix.com allow IRC? because i work with shell provider.

Thanks a lot dude for your attention.

Originally posted by servermatrix.com
    IRC Policy

IRC Servers are not allowed.

Just for interest - why do so many hosting companies not allow IRC servers on their network ?

Originally posted by WebDork
    Just for interest - why do so many hosting companies not allow IRC servers on their network ?

Becasue they would need to have other equipment, like firewalls and such, to block the attacks, and also don't want to decrease their network uptime due to ddos
    Ben S.

Originally posted by FatalSw1tch
    I feel your pain about the whole serveroutsource.net thing.

I would try ev1servers
    servermatrix
    serverbeach
    theplanet

Some ideas.
    Ev1Servers does not allow IRC to be utilized on their network.
    John Kata

ev1 does allow irc however they do not allow irc servers run on their network to be linked to other irc servers, which in return means not a good place for shell hosting. The rest of the list

servermatrix
    serverbeach
    theplanet

all of those do not allow irc.

For irc with the configurations that you have asked for, for that cheap of a price the only options that come to mind are:

unitedcolo/sago
    server4you
    fdcservers

keep in mind you get what you pay for and a $112 shell server is a very unstable shell server as I feel these companies arent the most reliable places.

I assumed that he would be linking to other networks because of the bandwidth requirement he was specifying, and also the "oftc" in his nickname is an actual network.

A friend uses SagoNet, he hasn't had a problem with them for the duration of his account there (a few months), and it looks like SagoNet can provide you with what you requested, except the price is just a bit higher. With your budget, they're probably you're best bet.

I don't recommend FDC.
    John Kata

heh considering it was for a shellhost i assumed he plans to run several ircds linked to many places, but i was correcting your statement about ev1 not allowing irc as they do but with high restrictions. Also I have a sago server and have seen multiple downtimes and not the best for irc, I would suggsest server4you over sago but if it came down to it for a shell host I wouldnt want any of the 3.

Understood. And I agree about your not wanting any of the three.

If it were _my_ shell business, I'd want to subject my customers to the highest available quality. Without a doubt, I'd be signing some Peer1 or Internap contracts

However, with that type of bandwidth, it could cost a substantial amount of money.

(Yes, I'm aware that Peer1 and Internap really don't _do_ dedicated servers, but I'm just quoting the bandwidth charges)

Anyway...
    I like Sago, wouldn't mind referring them to someone on a lower budget for IRC hosting, and I haven't had experience with Server4You, so I cannot judge their services.

I guess the general consensus is either Server4You, or SagoNet.
    John Kata

sago was bad for my first 3 weeks, but apperently those 3 weeks were the worst period of time sago had for a while and since then their reliability has been fine for me.

Providers don't allow IRC for several reasons. If you are going to allow IRC, the majority of the time you will need to focus on IRC. You can't have a standard network and allow IRC to be ran on it and withstand any major attacks at all. There's not any /real/ business or future in IRC, thus it's not widely welcomed by providers. Also, you have to consider the amount of firewalling and time that's going to be put into protecting the line -- major pain in the ***. Then you have bandwidth, even if you filter at the uplink, there are still ways to DoS the daylights out of a server. This eats up traffic that IRC customers generally don't want to pay for (whether it be a one time cost per attack or an overall cost per GB increase). IRC customers are high maintenance and generally no fun.
    Warpline Hosting: Budget SSD Web Hosting, Reseller hosting, VPS Hosting.
    Bitcoin, PerfectMoney, and PayPal accepted.

Originally posted by WebDork
    Bandwidth is bandwidth.

Unless of course company's network is badly designed, oversubscribed or their business model is totally broken, provided that the customer has ability to pay for the traffic that his or hers site generates.... irc is just bits

Keep telling yourself that.
    Warpline Hosting: Budget SSD Web Hosting, Reseller hosting, VPS Hosting.
    Bitcoin, PerfectMoney, and PayPal accepted.

Originally posted by interquad
    Keep telling yourself that.
    Let me repeat it -

If a customer is capable of paying for the bandwidth that his IRC server generates (including bandwidth generated by DOS attacks) there should be no difference to a service provider if the customer is an IRC server hoster, NetAID concert or a 120 machine Akamafia node pushing 4Gbit/sec.

If your network cannot withstand that level of traffic, then it simply cannot withstand that level of traffic, not because that is the level of traffic that IRC generates.
    www.zubrcom.net | Tel: 1-877-982-7266 / 1-267-298-3232 | sales@zubrcom.net|@zubrcom
    Hosting, VPS, Servers, Unmetered 10, 100 and Gigabit servers - Colocation - Engineering services
    "Elegant solutions to complex problems in the Internet-centric world"

sagonet does not allow irc.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...highlight=sago

Trimax
    Community Liaison

Hi, do you allow IRC on your network? IRC ports such as port 6667 need to be opened.

Thanks

sagonet
    Junior Guru Wannabe

TriMax: We do allow IRC, but, of course our AUP at:

http://www.sagonet.com/policies.php

Still applies.

For one thing, if your going to have IRC, the server should be dedicated to IRC. IRC tends to be a system hog, and should not be on a shared server with anything else. The Datacenter's don't like it, because it opens up unneccessary ports, accepting DOS attack's like crazy. This in turn takes parts of the network, if not all of it down for repair. This makes the Datacenter look bad as they are always down, and loses them customers.

Dealing with DDoS attacks is a hassle, especially if you don't have large uplinks. However, the larger datacenters, that are cabable of withstanding GBps attacks, usually have good design implementations that filter the attack so only the DC and the target know there was an attack.
    John Kata

DDoS is a given. One thing that makes IRC hosting difficult is the consistant high demand for IP addresses.

I dont think a ddos on a irc network will take down a datacentre long enough for www customers to notice if it gets filtered quickly, normally its irc users who notice intermant downtimes, a 2 min outage affects a web server less, you are right irc servers require more work into blocking attacks but I feel the datacentres that dont want to allow this simply shows that they are not capable in one or the other of not withstanding an attack, wether it be either poor network or poor manpower ability to filter out attacks.

Like the other poster said on dedicated boxes the customer foots the bill for the traffic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast