Thread: How many IP's?

Hybrid View

How many IP's?

I am starting a small webhosting service, but is there a ratio of subscribers to the quantity of IP's I should abide by?

It all depends really. With our adult hosting service we place each client on their own IP. This is because adult sites generally attract more attention from kiddies wanting free pr0n, etc. Should one site be under attack, we can take care of it and if necessary drop the IP untill the attack subsides if required. We try and keep 50 - 100 sites per ip on our regular virtual hosting service for much the same reason. Should one IP need to be dropped it won't affect all clients on the server, just the ones on that IP. Granted we have never had to take such drastic action, but its just a safe guard.

Try to keep in mind that IP's are a rare and endangered species and we humans need to do our best to change that. Don't got givng a client an IP just for the sake of having an IP.

OK, so 50-100 might be a good ratio per 1 IP address but what is the upload speed of IP? I am using regular DSL thats why I want to know.

Speed isn't governed by an IP. Its governed by 1. Your network card and 2. Your internet connection speed.

Let me rephrase the question. 50-100 customers per IP is the ratio depending on the Internet provider speed and my ethernet card. But what is the ideal upload speed for this 50-100 per ratio to be OK?? 350 Kbs or 800 Kbs?

I just want to be sure

Virtual servers are not valid justification for IP space according to ARIN..

You can put hundreds of web sites on one IP. You only need additional IPs for SSL.

No idea why adult customers would need their own ips.. adult customers should be on dedicated servers anyway with the amount of traffic/cpu they burn through.

You only need 1 ip to host.. but don't host on DSL.. definitely not if you're going to be selling your hosting.
    Hugh Buchanan
    harveyopolis corporation
    userfriendly.com / killersecurity.com

Thanks, then what is the best type of connection to use for starting a webhosting business? Cable?? Wont DSL be good in serving 60-100 people?

Running a web hosting service from a home connection is a BAD idea.

1) You have no way near enough bandwidth to deal with high load (most web hosts have at least a 10Mbit connection to the net which to a house is ridiculously expensive)

2) It's probably against the terms of your DSL contract

3) You almost certainly have no form of backup generators etc at your house unlike proper datacenters etc

The best thing to do is either to get a reseller account with an established host, or rent a dedicated server from somewhere.

Originally posted by userfriendly
    Virtual servers are not valid justification for IP space according to ARIN..
    Can you provide me with proof to backup this claim? As far as I know this rule was presented but was stuck down and it is valad justification. I know a lot of hosts claim this is not valid justification, and perhaps they are just trying to save $ on the cost of new IPs or are just trying to keep usage as low as possible.

No idea why adult customers would need their own ips.. adult customers should be on dedicated servers anyway with the amount of traffic/cpu they burn through.
    Not true in our experience. Not all adult sites generate a lot of traffic, especially those just starting out.

So one DSL connection would not be enough to host 50-100 customers. I have umlimited bandwidth, and I just called my provider. Im just interested in serving 50-100. what is a maximum amount of customers to serve with 1 DSL account?

Could you please say the speed of connection. There is nothing called unlimited bandwidth. You may consult your provider for a clarification in that.

For home connections the total transfer will be below the permissible limit even though you use your maximum. But if there are more users the bandwidth will play a major role.

Please re-check the DSL contract about the commercial usage

IPV6

Originally posted by Haze

Try to keep in mind that IP's are a rare and endangered species and we humans need to do our best to change that. Don't got givng a client an IP just for the sake of having an IP.
    Don't worry.. IPV6 is out. It gives an IP for all the human beings in the world and even the cows are counted.

Re: IPV6

Originally posted by psk
    Don't worry.. IPV6 is out. It gives an IP for all the human beings in the world and even the cows are counted.
    It's still going to be a few years before IPv6 replaces IPv4.

As for hosting off of an ADSL line.. If it was absolutely necessary the only thing i'd host would be the businesses web site itself. You should first check with your provider to make sure hosting is allowed as in most cases it is not. ADSL and Cable really aren't really your best bet for web hosting. What about redundancy? What if your provider goes down? You should look into either 1. A Dedicated server or 2. Server colocation.

If you do decide to to host off of ADSL and your provider allows it, don't hide this fact from your clients. Even if ( and it will ) it discourages most people away from your service. Also keep in mind, what if your power goes out? Do you have the means necessary to keep the server running? What about flooding and other natural disasters that may cause your service to go down?

Ok for clarification, the speed of my DSL has 384Kbps upload, and a 3,000 Kbps dlownload. On the other hand, I am upgrading soon to super speed DSL of 800 Kbps upload, and 4,000 Kbps download.

So is it possible to host 50-100 cutomers with 1 DSL account?

I can't believe you are considering that.

Re: IPV6

Originally posted by Haze
    It's still going to be a few years before IPv6 replaces IPv4.
    That's true. It's not that much easy to remove the current IPv4 from the world. The thing is all the software/hardware in the field developed for IPv4 and I think only the latest software support IPv6.

But it's now possible to use it. It's in a parallel run now.

NO, don't do that, even your isp says you have "unlimited" bandwidth

my friend subscribed an unlimited high speed internet from rogers cable and one day he downloaded gigs of xxx movies ( ) and you know what? rogers called and suspended his account for an entire month because he was using too much bandwidth.

if this happens to you you will have 50-100 angry clients

also your dsl has only 384kbps upload and your upload speed = download speed from your clients that is absolutely not enough
    (am i correct? )

Originally posted by j_miguel_y
    Ok for clarification, the speed of my DSL has 384Kbps upload, and a 3,000 Kbps dlownload. On the other hand, I am upgrading soon to super speed DSL of 800 Kbps upload, and 4,000 Kbps download.

Dixiy.com - Professional Web Hosting Provider since 2002
    AutoCreation.net - Automation Solution for cPanel Hosting! + Illegal File Scanner
    WHDir.net - Your complete Web Hosting Directory with Hosting/Server Tutorials

findthesites is correct..

I keep reading everyone say that running the server from your home is not a good idea....

If you have a T1 (1.5 up and down) to your home, Servers to handle the websites, UPS system for power back up (Live in a VERY stable power grid 99.8% up time), Cisco equipment to handle network, mirrored servers, You are handling your local area of business, and know your OS and systems very well.....

Then why cant you run your hosting company from home and be successful at it?

Just a question

Well, you probably can run it off that, but consider the following scenarios:

1) Your one T1 line dies, you are cut off the web completely and have lots of angry customers while in a datacentre you can get connections via multiple ISPs and therefore if one drops out you can manage with the rest.

2) You have five or so broadband users each with 512k downstream connecting to your webserver getting a website with a lot of pictures on, your upstream capacity is used up and people think your site seems slow to load - not a good advert for your company and is likely to anger your clients.

Most connections in datacentres are at 10Mbits at the least, the majority 100Mbit and some even 1Gbit/sec or more - this can handle these sort of traffic surges.

That's my opinion anyway, feel free to disagree with it.

If you could somehow manage to sustain 384kbps for the whole month that is only 124.416 gigabytes of transfer per month. it sounds like you have ADSL (A = asynchronous, which means your dsl cant send and recieve at the same time) so if you download at all on your computer, your going to kill your upload speed or vica verca. Like someone said earlier, hosting on a home connection is a BAD idea.

Originally posted by j_miguel_y

Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting