named not accessible

I am preparing to start doing my own DNS rather than using ZoneEdit, and am setting up a test zone via WebMin. I believe I have properly set up MX, A, and NS entries for it. From the shell of the nameserver machine, I can run:

host -a

and get a meaningful response , which means named is properly running on, and the zone has been configured.

However, when I run the same command from a shell on any other machine, I get no response:

host -a
    Trying ""
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

My first hunch was that this meant a firewall is blocking contact. So I opened up port 53 on the firewall, but no change. What else do I need to do to make name services accessible to the outside world?

You should check your firewall configs. What firewall do you use?

try shutting the firewall down altogether.

Alberta, Canada
    I would also agree that first making sure something is working before setting up Firewall variables, is a good idea. Doesn't always work that way, but good to do so whenever possible.

Not sure if you were aware Shacker, but you will most likely, always get a postive response when checking an account on the Server it is hosted on. Other Servers give an error because it does seem there are some.

Tells us there are problems and an idea of where to look. You'll also note that: & will resolve whereas does not

Still some DNS editting to be done. - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Are you sure you opened port 53/udp and not just 53/tcp?