Most optimal file db for read-only.

I'm writing an file based article "database" in PHP. I don't want to use a real database but still want to make read-only access as fast as possible even when there are a lot of articles. I have come up with two options:

* Implement file access from scratch. I.e. Each article is stored in "ArticleDir/Article.txt". Simply use "fopen()" to open and read a specified article. I may also use "is_dir()" on the directory for some other purposes.

* Use SQLite. An article would be retrieved by a select statement that uniquely identifies the article. (in SQLite the "database" is stored in a single file).

My problem: How well does a file system with 1000's of files and directories scale compared to SQLite with only 1 file? In SQLite the article must be found somewhere within the database file which I guess will take some time. With 1000's of files I know the exact location of the article (ArtDir/Art.txt) but PHP in addition to the underlying file system(fat32 on winXp) maybe becomes inefficient when dealing with so many directories and files?

My biggest concern is read-only access to a unique article so my main question is which of the two above options is the best for this purpose and why?

Regards AnomalyE

Why are you so averse to using a mysql database?

I would opt for sqlite over flat files, personally.
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

Why are you so averse to using a mysql database?
    I want to be able to run it on servers without mySql support.

I would opt for sqlite over flat files, personally.
    Ok, any particular reason? Since the whole database have to be locked when writing with SQLite I lean towards flat files at the moment... If there isn't any noticable advantage when using SQLite.