Custom Nameservers?

Can resellers have their own nameservers from the reseller host?

It depends on the host - but generally speaking - yes

A number of resellers will provide you with 2 IP addressess which you can then use to create your own ns1 and ns2.

if its not offered as standard ask the host, I am sure most will supply them at a small price.

but the prefix whatever.yourdomain.com the whatever can be just about anything . Just need an IP and a DNS server

I'm pretty sure it can only be ns#.yourdomain.com

Originally posted by -ReyoX-
    I'm pretty sure it can only be ns#.yourdomain.com
    Not true. Like mentioned earlier the ns portion of ns.yorudomain.com can be replaced with anything.

You usually see NS because it makes more sense than others.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

I've seen some registrars only allow ns# or dns#, but not many. My servers all use nameservers like mercury1 and venus1 as prefixes for the nameservers since that seems to help the clients remember the server they are on.

Yes, most hosts offering reseller accounts will allow you to set your own nameservers...usually they include 2 IP's in order to accomplish this, but some may ask for some additional money to do so... It usually depends on their pricing/marketing strategy..

BTW -

Originally posted by jasonl813
    I've seen some registrars only allow ns# or dns#, but not many. My servers all use nameservers like mercury1 and venus1 as prefixes for the nameservers since that seems to help the clients remember the server they are on.
    Nice way to handle this

Re: Custom Nameservers?

Originally posted by dk121
    Can resellers have their own nameservers from the reseller host?
    You may but whether you can depends on your host.
    Ask your host if they offer it, most hosts do.

Yeah, but cant people make name servers on top of existing name servers. By just using the same 2 ips, and creating it in your domain control panel.

Originally posted by 3en
    Yeah, but cant people make name servers on top of existing name servers. By just using the same 2 ips, and creating it in your domain control panel.
    Yes, and adding two A records, for the nameservers, to the DNS zone for the domain