Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    900 a month for 4 months ads up to 3600 dollars. This is a lot of money for most new companies. Especialy when you don't have any starting customers...
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

Whoops I meant to say adds up too, not ads :-). So altogether I would be spending 3600 for my first 4 months of operation, just 500 dollars monthly on advertising. I would spend so much in the beginning to push clients my way and to get my name out there, from then on its mainly word of mouth.

Brian

Originally posted by BrianF
    Someone mentioned InCorp and I have no clue what that is.

Also how does this sound:

1) Server ~ $250/month from rackspace.com
    2) Backups? Thats a lot extra and is it really worth it?
    3) Cell Phone ~ $40/month
    4) Cpanel/WHM ~ $99 monthly
    5) Advertising ~ $500 monthly for the 1st 4 months?

Thats all I think that I'd really need, and it adds up to about $900 monthly for the first 4 months of operation. Is that too expensive? What else do I need? This would be for the first four months, I say this because I probably wouldn't need to advertise as much after this because of word of mouth etc.

Brian
    Did you already get your merchant account or find a credit card launderer?

If you can't afford Rackspace's tape backups, you should at least get a second drive to back up to.

Two other companies a step down from Rackspace.com would be skynetweb.com and catalog.com if you wanted slightly cheaper, but still fairly good service.

Your advertising sounds reasonable if spent in the right places. But you'll need a lot of luck to fill the one server up within 4 months. Filling the first one is always the hardest. Make sure you have some reserves to last past your first 4 months.

Also, Plesk seems to be cheaper than WHM because of no recurring fees, although it doesn't seem to do as much. Have you looked at it?

Good luck.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Thanks for the response.

I was thinking about revecom for my merchant account and possibly ubersmith for billing. I know the first server will be hard to fill, but I wasn't counting on filling it right away! I configured a linux server at rackspace with two 30gig hard drives, one for backup and it was about 300 dollars a month, what I wanted to spend. I don't like the Plesk v.2 control panel, thats why I'm getting WHM and CPanel, too bad its so expensive.

What do you think about ubersmith? Are there any other programs that do this type of thing, but slightly cheaper?

Where are the best places to advertise with the best results? Directorys, search engines, etc?

Thanks,
    Brian

advil
    advil
    advil
    advil
    advil
    advil
    advil
    advil

hard liqour
    hard liqour
    hard liqour
    hard liqour
    hard liqour
    hard liqour
    hard liqour
    hard liqour

o ya i dont think i saw a ssl license in there
    =)
    $100 bucks a year

Originally posted by BrianF
    What do you think about ubersmith? Are there any other programs that do this type of thing, but slightly cheaper?

Where are the best places to advertise with the best results? Directorys, search engines, etc?
    I wish that I could answer any of these questions for you. I hear all of this talk about WHM/Cpanel, and ubersmith. And to tell the truth I don't even have any idea of what they do. I've never seen the interface or even read an overview of what they offer. I do know about plesk, and it was a good start until we got our own control panel written.

We actually started out with Quickbooks Pro, and from what I've read on here, we're not the first ones to realize that Quickbooks Pro sucks for a service type industry that has recurring billing. But it worked until we wrote our own billing/accounting software that integrates with our card processor and which also exports to our webserver so that our customers can view their entire billing history online.

So we don't use any commercial software anymore.

As far as advertising, I wish I had some suggestions. But we've never done any advertising that paid off. And we've tried it all. We just got lucky with some good partnerships and targeting customers directly that we knew could use our services.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

I was thinking of spending ~500 monthly on advertising in hosting directorys. Submit my site to yahoo express. Then run an affiliate program ~10 dollars every referal type of thing.

That should bring some people! Atleast to start.

Brian

* dedicated server

I am curious - as to how much other people are paying in NOC / datacenter / colocation technical support for their dedicated servers in a year. For instance it's quite likely that when rebuilding the linux kernel or opgrading the OS that the machine may crash. How many hours of onsite tech support should I budget for to keep my dedicated server running (the quote I have for tech support is $175 / hour)

Wow, seeing this post. I feel that most of those who want to start a new service would be fully discouraged. ...
    I would say it is not that bad.

If you have say 2-5K with you it is good enough to start with.
    You can always start small and make slow profits with time. Being aggressive always does not mean growing fast. For one not many try new hosts in the beginning. You have to be there for some time. Nobody knows how big you actually are. Even if you are in business for 2 years with just 10 clients ... nobody knows. But sales goes up only with time as they think you are there for so long so you are reliable.

My suggestion is to always make a 3-5 year plan. Plan on how big you want to be in 5 years and then work your way to it. Do not spend everything in the first month and then close down in the 6th month. It is better to start small even it means being a reseller in the beginning. There is nothing wrong in that. Just be good with every client of yours I'm sure it'll pay off well... They say
    -
    "He who laughs last.. laughs the best..."

Have a great day

regards
    amar
    A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"
    The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep. When you need care, come to bobcares...."

Originally posted by MarcD
    advil
    advil
    advil
    advil
    advil
    advil
    advil
    advil

hard liqour
    hard liqour
    hard liqour
    hard liqour
    hard liqour
    hard liqour
    hard liqour
    hard liqour

o ya i dont think i saw a ssl license in there
    =)
    $100 bucks a year
    well I would think that drnking and coding don't mix but along those lines, maybe a puff of KIFF, makes you as stong as a thousand camels.

now you should be able to tell my age.

Sqposter / Michael
    Spam hater, and lover of the spews list. Keep the internet clean

Post Cancel! Have a nice day.
    Last edited by appletreats; 01-02-2002 at 08:59 PM.

Not sure I follow you there.

Brian

13. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Related Posts from theWHIR.com