CPU For A Dedicated Server

I'm currently not sure about which CPU I should get for a dedicated server that I am going to order next month. It's going to be either a:

1) P4 2.8GHz 800FSB HT CPU
    - or -
    2) AMD Opteron 140 CPU

I plan to 5 - 6 Counter-Strike gaming servers.

Thanks
    vtcn

Your prob. going to get a even split on this topic. Id say go with the P4 the performance diff. will not be noticable. And the Intels have a tendency to stay alot more cool. Which is important in a server environment.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

I would agree, the P4 would be better....

*is that the AMD posse i hear, coming to disagree*

The thing is.. if I get the P4, it comes with 512MB memory, if I get the AMD, it comes with 1024MB memory..

I'm not part of the AMD Posse, but I can say this

Opterons and FXs are phenomenal, they run cool, are so SO fast even in 32 bit mode.

I'm not sure of the specs on the opteron 140, go find benchmarks online and find which scores higher in games.

AMD does seem to offer better price/performance. I'm not a member of the infamous posse, but I always buy AMD and recommend it and everything short of being a member of the posse... It does seem though that Intel made some blunders with saying "you don't need 64 bits" when clearly, it is not uncommon for databases to have > 4gb of stuff these days, and to get reasonable DB performance, you want to be able to store it all in memory. How relevant DB performance is to hosting, I am not sure, but it can't hurt to go with the higher performance, I think.

Offer your customers WAP site creation.

Actually 64bit processors cannot even utilize the additional processing power as far as I know linux/windows2000/2003 and any of the programs running on them are 32 bit.

As far as AMD having better gaming specs that hardly equates to the hosting market, while a processor may run better with games, for calculation tasks and databases and such it might perform worse.

All that being said if you can get the amd for cheaper and with more memory, get the amd.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

I think im going to go with the opteron then. Thank you all.

P4 - Xeon in one-two processor configurations

Opteron in 4+ Processor configurations, AMD Is more scalable.

Anandtech ran the Opteron through some tough tests, and it came out ahead of the fastest Xeon in almost every catagory. In a Web server environment, it was up to 70% faster.

You can peruse it here: http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.html?i=1935

Its a smokin' chip, the on board memory controller gives it a huge advantage in a server environment.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -- Ben Franklin
    Twice Tied Laces