Which OS is the best for file server? Windows 2003 or *NIX?

Which OS is the best/stable for file server with about 300 people downloading concurrently, Windows 2003 or *NIX?

Thanks..

Downloading via what protocol? For FTP, Unix is always almost faster and more stable. For a Windows-based LAN, sometimes it's easier to go with Windows.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

I'd say run UNIX, even if its a windows network, I have found Samba works much better and is a fair bit faster.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support • Web Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud/VPS Plans • Dedicated Servers •

Id say the opposite. I've fought with samba since the early 1.x/2.x days and unless its a small network or you dont mind its quirks, on a windows network Id rather deal with windows than nix/samba. Assuming you or your admin has clue theres no reason a windows server shouldnt be stable on an internal network. I recently had a customer replace a windows 2000 server that hadnt been rebooted in over a year that did internal file serving and a few other things.

If by downloading concurrently you mean ftp, that would depend as much on your hardware and ftpd as the OS you used. Mainly which do you feel more comfortable with? Personally in that situation Id happily use FreeBSD and call it a day.

Originally posted by crucialx
    I'd say run UNIX, even if its a windows network, I have found Samba works much better and is a fair bit faster.
    I agree, and I also have friends are using NFS clients on thier w2k workstations, Its Microsoft Product, Its called Microsoft Services for Unix ( as I remember, I might be wrong with the name, but you can check with MS site) and Its free, They've been happy with it for sometime now, and thier file servers been always Linux.

I would recommend Unix as well, especially FreeBSD because of the stability.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.