1and1 domain management

This is a warning that 1and1 does not appear to be able to manage domains across packages correctly at this time.

I set up a root server and transferred my domain registrar to 1and1 through my root package. This took approximately 7 days to complete.

When it was completed it turns out 1and1 did not transfer my dns settings as is standard policy and my domain is now pointing to the root server. This could've been very bad but I had the 1and1 server set up for this just in case.

During this time I ran into too many support issues to ignore (in another thread in this forum) and am now trying to cancel my root server account. So I call 1and1 today to find out how best to resolve this issue and am told that it is impossible for them to move a domain away from their root server package to another package in their own system. Since domains are tied directly to packages in their awkward system, if I cancel an account I lose all admin access to that domain. And since the domain was just transferred this means that I cannot cancel my root account for at least 60 days (the registrar transfer lock period) if I want any control over my domain.

This is their recommended solution for switching a root package domain to another package: find another registrar and transfer the domain to them then request another transfer from them to your new package. I would laugh, except I'm the idiot who has his primary domain in a package he's trying to cancel.

Anyway, their $5.88 price on domains is enticing But escaping from the trap is not as easy as it should be. Hopefuly they will find some way to iron out this awkwardness in the future.

In the meantime, does anyone know of a way to retransfer a domain quickly after it's already been transferred? I fear the red tape.

Also, I have roughly 50 domains registered. I don't own them all, but I admin them all. Who would you recommend for a registrar? I'm currently paying $10 a year through verio and their admin system and stability is top notch (though you do have to have a minimum in hosting accounts w/ them). Is it worth all the hassle of sending 50 different faxes or whatever to save $200 or less a year?

Major problems at 1and1

I just recently transferred all my sites to 1 and 1 (aka one and one). So far I'm regretting it.

Last week they were black-listed by AOL, so all email from my accounts and my clients accounts were bounced back. From 1and1 support:

"We apologize for the inconvenience that may have caused you. We are blocked again by AOL. Our administrators are currently working on it. We appreciate your patience with this matter."

Then I learn our web sites are also being blocked by AOL because a client at 1and1 was "phisihing"

The AOL message:

"Access Denied
    AOL has received complaints from our members suggesting that this site may be improperly collecting AOL member data. In order to protect our members, AOL is presently preventing AOL members from accessing this site.

You can also learn more about how AOL can help make your online experience more safe and secure by visiting AOL Keyword: Phishing."

Okay, AOL and it's management are idiots, that's a given, but both of these issues were caused by security lapses by 1and1 not keeping and eye on what there clients were up to. They recently admitted that someone is indeed "phishing" from one of their servers and they are doing what they can.

The block remains in place which is very nice for me considering one of my clients is in a political campaign, and when it looks like AOL is accusing his site of "phishing", it don't look good, to say the least.

Very disappointed so far with my 1and1 experience. I thought size matters, but as the saying goes "size means nothing if you don't know what to do with it"

You should have read feedback on WHT regarding them and probably you would not have made that mistake.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.