Question Shopping Cart Package Shortlist

Does anyone have a shortlist of shopping cart software providers either for install or integration in a VPS environment. I am familiar with MIVA but looking for another solution. Thanks.

Hello,

You can use 99.9% of shopping carts on your server, even if its a VPS, that are compatible with the software you have installed (php, mysql, cgi, etc).

Visit www.hotscripts.com for a large list of shopping carts

Gotcha. But my question is does anyone have a shortlist of shopping cart software providers?

http://www.oscommerce.com provides a great shopping cart in my opinion

Miva is a good shopping cart although yes it is rather costly.

Personally I'd recommend using http://www.x-cart.com.

you can checkout either jshop or digishop

phpcoder-

Can I ask you why you feel oscommerce is a great SC package? Just curious as I am looking for a SC to install on my server. I'm a hosting reseller (as if you couldn't tell by my clever user name) trying to get a solution for my customers wanting an OOTB shopping cart Web site. I have been with MIVA at Interland but since I have taken the plunge to move my hosting business elsewhere, I thought it might be time to re-evaulate my shopping cart solution. Also, I have been on the oscommerce Web site trying to get a feel for the product and their site is not at all comprehensive or descriptive to tell me much about the product. I can't even find pricing for it or how to go about purchasing it, licenses, etc. Can you help? Thanks.

why not try out http://digishop.sumeffect.com. I use them for most of my clients.

I also use another cart if my clients only sell 1-3 items. Since those people are usually cheap any how.

Hi Reseller,

osCommerce is an open source product, therefore free - so, you wont really find any pricing on their site.

It is an excellent product - stable and scalable with alot of OOTB functionality.

The upside - its free, loaded with functionality and easy to use

The downside - you have to support it yourself - the community is large and helpful, but at the end of the day, you either need to learn how to modify/support it, or hire someone else to do it for you.
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

MrBojangles, thx I'll check out digishop.

Gargoyle, I have no problem supporting it. I'm also a PHP coder and I know MySQL quite well. Can you tell me how it performs in a VPS environment? Can you have multiple Domains? How does the cart keep one domain's storefront out of another domain's storefront?

Hi Reseller,

Glad to hear you're a php coder - you should have no problem with osC...

Not sure I completely understand your question re domains - but essentially you would need 1 domain/storefront, each with their own DB...

Im not the osC coder in our company, so I wouldnt be able to get into greater detail then this - however, feel free to drop us an email and Ill have our coder give you a more detailed answer...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Gargoyle, what I am saying is that I want to use the SC in a shared server environment (VPS) where I will be housing many different domain names on a single server and some of the domains will be using the SC. I don't want any domain (or store front) accidently getting comingled with my other customer's SC, if that clears it up a bit? (as I do more research I might drop you an email -- thx for the offer

Each customer is setup with their own database (mysql)
    You setup the database persmissions so that customers
    cannot access each other (the defaults for mysql)

Thanks "sadcox66"

Originally posted by Reseller96

I'm also a PHP coder and I know MySQL quite well. Can you tell me how it performs in a VPS environment? Can you have multiple Domains? How does the cart keep one domain's storefront out of another domain's storefront?
    All the carts we use perform very well in a VDS environment such as oscommerce x-cart etc, a php accelerator also helps to speed it up such as Zend or Ioncube.

Multiple carts can run off a single VDS, but its like anything else that uses a server resource or could be server hungry, it needs to be monitored, for example as well as the auto notifications we receive, we log in to servers every two hours to check server/domain resources and logs etc.
    Roger - Fastcom Networks - http://www.fastcom.uk.com
    Pro-active TOTALLY managed VDS and Dedicated Servers with High Quality customer service and telephone support.